GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Host your own site"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 10:31
Regular
Ok, I've got fast permenant internet connection and I've got a spare box that I can configure as need be.

Whats the best way of going about hosting your own site?

Help on best OS's, software, IP addxs etc would be appriciated.
Tue 12/03/02 at 10:31
Regular
""
Ok, I've got fast permenant internet connection and I've got a spare box that I can configure as need be.

Whats the best way of going about hosting your own site?

Help on best OS's, software, IP addxs etc would be appriciated.
Tue 12/03/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, a UNIX platform and Apache is really the only way to go. You could use Linux, but I think NetBSD or FreeBSD are the best options, I think. As for the hosting, setting up Apache is easy, set it to serve 127.0.0.1 or localhost. If you have a home network, you also need to forward port 80 to that machine's internal IP.

However, whatever domains you choose you need to get set up to point to your IP. Apart from dhs.org and ezipupdate I haven't had much experience with this, talk to Luke/Insomnia. I have Apache on a machine at home and it works fine like this. When I get my network up too the only problems I can forsee is the port forwarding, unless my connecting machine is the one with Apache on it (unlikely).

Luke really knows more about this than me, but also, read the DNS how-to on linuxdoc.org.
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:58
Just throw a unix-flavour OS on the box you want to run as a webserver and put two network cards in it, set up connection sharing (known as IP Masquerading) and the webserver.

Voila. You can even set up Samba on it and drag'n'drop your websites from your Windows box to F:\ or wherever you mount the webserver. Fun stuff.
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:00
(Rob, he doesn't want a dedicated firewall box by the look of it, so port forwarding won't be necessary. He'll be running the webserver on the same box that's acting as the local network gateway.)

Out of interest, what's the spec of the spare box?
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Small point, which may or may not be relevant to you.
But if you have dsl or a cable connection or something be sure to check the terms and conditions, some do prohibit you hosting websites, game servers etc. etc.

-G
Tue 12/03/02 at 21:31
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
hhmm, havn't checked Apache or Linux yet, but this is very intresting, what kind of things would you be able to host on oyur own server?? I would imagine it to be very minimal.
Is there any chance of a CGI bin?? or MYsql thingy? or if you have your own server does it pretty much stick to simple things...html (no more, no less) orrrrr does the server your modems running off give you the options? e.g. if your modem's server has php support, you can host php...etc.

also, for a server box, would spec would it need to be 'roughly'?? e.g. i've got a P1 150, 128mb ram, pretty simple, me thinks someone said something about a 486 being used...
Tue 12/03/02 at 21:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fogmaster wrote:
> hhmm, havn't checked Apache or Linux yet, but this is very intresting, what kind
> of things would you be able to host on oyur own server?? I would imagine it to
> be very minimal.
Is there any chance of a CGI bin?? or MYsql thingy? or if you
> have your own server does it pretty much stick to simple things...html (no more,
> no less) orrrrr does the server your modems running off give you the options?
> e.g. if your modem's server has php support, you can host php...etc.

If you install the appropriate software then your PC can act as a web server, ftp server, CS server or any other use you can think of. While you are connected to the net then its possible for others to access that service. You want PHP support mysql or anything else, you just install it on your machine...
Of course, there are feasibility issues if you wish to do this on a more permanent basis but not the question at present I don't think so I won't go there. :)

also,
> for a server box, would spec would it need to be 'roughly'?? e.g. i've got a P1
> 150, 128mb ram, pretty simple, me thinks someone said something about a 486
> being used...

yep, perfectly sufficient.

-G
Tue 12/03/02 at 22:37
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Abuse
Promoting your e-mail address for referrals electronically - by e-mail, usenet posting or other mediums - will be considered to be "SPAM" and you will not be eligible for any benefits of the scheme, and dealt with accordingly as per our Acceptable Use Policy.

Can I use blueyonder as part of a home network?

Yes, it is possible to connect blueyonder broadband internet through a home network, however this is not a service we offer and if you do wish to connect in this way it is at the discretion of the user.

m'ok, these are the only relevant things blueyonder had in their Terms and Conditions about servers or sharing.

also, the only reason we upgraded the main PC was because the P1 150 was too small to 'handle' Broadband, guess i'll need to research the useage of servers.....cool :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.