GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dear Santa, please put this in future FPSs..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/11/02 at 08:23
Regular
1) Far more terrifying situations, think AvP. I want to break into a cold sweat when I am playing a FPS; I want the fear of dying to be there, clawing away at the back of my mind. The first step is eliminating quick saves, of which I loathe.

2) I would love to see a better variation in guns, or at least change them so they have different attributes. How about flashlights on guns so that in the dark, they are the only ones you can use?

3) Proper squad based combat with team mates you care about and situations that are incredibly exciting. I would love to go storming into a building with people whom I have fought with and know almost like friends. That way losing one of them is a far more distressing.

4) Realistic ENVIRONMENTS! Lots of use of the new Direct X 9 features when they are more available.

5) More game styles like Project IGI, where you could look over a base from afar and plan your attack, but make more possible ways of entering the base or more ways of completing objectibes.

6) Cool music! Good examples: MOHAA, Hitman 2, RTCW (even though it was mostly the same all the way through, it was still very good music).

7) The chance to disguise yourself, like in Hitman 2. Enemy AI would have to be very good, but the feeling of nicking an enemies' uniform and walking round enemy territory would be brill, and really tense. The MoH:AA level where you were disguised as a Nazi was great too: more levels like this in games, or the option built in, would be great. Obviously for more tactical, soldier-sim type ones, though.

8) Again, like in Hitman 2 (and the forthcoming IGI2), limited saves per level - ideally open to your choice. I used to think the quicksave was indispensible, but then games like Project: IGI proved to me they ended up making a game a less thrilling experience. NOLF2, MoH:AA and Max Payne have proved this further for me. A game has to be designed with this in mind: Project IGI wouldn't even be half the game it is with a quicksave, to be honest. But then games like NOLF2 and MoH:AA would be very hard without a quicksave.

9) Off the top of my head, I'd just have to say less linear gameplay. I don't mean lots of corridors: you choose which one to go down. That's not freedom, that's annoying. I mean like in (yes, again) Hitman 2 and Project: IGI - you have your level, you have your objectives; you choose how to approach it. In IGI you could, on most levels, enter a base from where you wanted to. Sometimes I don't mind, as games like Max Payne wouldn't of benefited from any extra freedom, but for tactical shooters and ones which are like "infiltrate the compound..." I prefer to choose my approach, not be forced to do what the developers want.

10) Just something more original. Something with a nice thick storyline and its gotta be more realistic. Metal Gear Solid with less of a Japanese style plot and more zing.

11) More involving Storylines. Make us really feel like saving the world from Generic Bad Guy #3452 is worth our trouble.

12) Have a good mix of close combat and long range killin' (MoH:AA suprised me as the first FPS I played in a while where running around with the Sniper Rifle won't win the game (not that I usually do that, though :P)

13) Gimme some good 'pop a cap in yo' ass' moments. I want a guaranteed erection when I headshot someone (erm... sed too much).

14) GTA style cities in an FPS game with cars etc to drive around in in a sort of Deus Ex type RPG/FPS game of some sort, no such a random points scoring way as GTA.

15) Aircraft in every single game (I've been playing too much BF1942 :P).

16) I'd like to see a situation where you actually feel pressured, and make rash desistions which usually muck up (so basically, feeling involved).

17) Teamwork. Games like UT had teamwork I know, but you couldn't give to specicfic orders, just 'Attack' or 'Defend'. Whereas you could hotkeys to say 'Attack defend
(note this was a single player idea, though maybe hardish to put in.)

18) More freedom in worlds, and just walk around a city, maybe with your own car, this should NOT be a MMORPG.

19) I'd like the ability to shoot blindly round a corner (like the Germans in MOH). The ability to spread some rounds at people randomly with little chance of taking lots of damage. I have no idea how this would work eg. viewpoints, but just the chance to lay down some cover fire for a mate to leg it across an opening.

20) Guns. Lots of guns. Realistic modern warfare guns, with realistic characteristics. Make there be so many guns that it is unlikely that anyone else on thee server has the same tastes (like all the GR mods rolled into one selection).

21) The humour of NOLF and GTA3

22) The graphics/physics of Unreal Tournament 2003

23) An original setting (Iron Storm...sort of)

23) The set pieces and sound quality and people's expressions of MOHAA

24) The stealth of Thief

25) The gore of SOF2 (perhaps toned down a little)

26) The freedom of Deus Ex

27) Team combat like SWAT (but simpler)

28) A gripping storyline with decent characters.

And what is this game?

Impossible, that's what.

Thanks for reading,
Flux.
Thu 28/11/02 at 18:54
yay woat woat

Sleeping lionfart is a HOMO
Wed 27/11/02 at 21:20
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
auron+otacon wrote:
> yeah simion
> say it FLux
>
> " Simion the under sea monkey" says FLux

For your pleasure - "Simion - the undersea monkey!"

:D
Wed 27/11/02 at 19:39
"cheerios"
impossible would be cool
Mon 25/11/02 at 18:20
yeah simion
say it FLux

" Simion the under sea monkey" says FLux
Thu 21/11/02 at 14:23
"griever"
i cant believe how much you have wrtitten flux its an essay i have seen his actual essays and they only last for half of this flux you are a geek
only joking
or am i.........................
Thu 21/11/02 at 14:22
"griever"
i cant believe how much you have wrtitten flux its an essay
i have seen his actual essays and they only last for half of this flux you are a geek
only joking
or am i.........................
Thu 21/11/02 at 07:32
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
LOL :P

Thanks for reading :)
Wed 20/11/02 at 16:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Where can I buy the new title Impossible?

Sounds really good!

;)
Wed 20/11/02 at 08:23
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
1) Far more terrifying situations, think AvP. I want to break into a cold sweat when I am playing a FPS; I want the fear of dying to be there, clawing away at the back of my mind. The first step is eliminating quick saves, of which I loathe.

2) I would love to see a better variation in guns, or at least change them so they have different attributes. How about flashlights on guns so that in the dark, they are the only ones you can use?

3) Proper squad based combat with team mates you care about and situations that are incredibly exciting. I would love to go storming into a building with people whom I have fought with and know almost like friends. That way losing one of them is a far more distressing.

4) Realistic ENVIRONMENTS! Lots of use of the new Direct X 9 features when they are more available.

5) More game styles like Project IGI, where you could look over a base from afar and plan your attack, but make more possible ways of entering the base or more ways of completing objectibes.

6) Cool music! Good examples: MOHAA, Hitman 2, RTCW (even though it was mostly the same all the way through, it was still very good music).

7) The chance to disguise yourself, like in Hitman 2. Enemy AI would have to be very good, but the feeling of nicking an enemies' uniform and walking round enemy territory would be brill, and really tense. The MoH:AA level where you were disguised as a Nazi was great too: more levels like this in games, or the option built in, would be great. Obviously for more tactical, soldier-sim type ones, though.

8) Again, like in Hitman 2 (and the forthcoming IGI2), limited saves per level - ideally open to your choice. I used to think the quicksave was indispensible, but then games like Project: IGI proved to me they ended up making a game a less thrilling experience. NOLF2, MoH:AA and Max Payne have proved this further for me. A game has to be designed with this in mind: Project IGI wouldn't even be half the game it is with a quicksave, to be honest. But then games like NOLF2 and MoH:AA would be very hard without a quicksave.

9) Off the top of my head, I'd just have to say less linear gameplay. I don't mean lots of corridors: you choose which one to go down. That's not freedom, that's annoying. I mean like in (yes, again) Hitman 2 and Project: IGI - you have your level, you have your objectives; you choose how to approach it. In IGI you could, on most levels, enter a base from where you wanted to. Sometimes I don't mind, as games like Max Payne wouldn't of benefited from any extra freedom, but for tactical shooters and ones which are like "infiltrate the compound..." I prefer to choose my approach, not be forced to do what the developers want.

10) Just something more original. Something with a nice thick storyline and its gotta be more realistic. Metal Gear Solid with less of a Japanese style plot and more zing.

11) More involving Storylines. Make us really feel like saving the world from Generic Bad Guy #3452 is worth our trouble.

12) Have a good mix of close combat and long range killin' (MoH:AA suprised me as the first FPS I played in a while where running around with the Sniper Rifle won't win the game (not that I usually do that, though :P)

13) Gimme some good 'pop a cap in yo' ass' moments. I want a guaranteed erection when I headshot someone (erm... sed too much).

14) GTA style cities in an FPS game with cars etc to drive around in in a sort of Deus Ex type RPG/FPS game of some sort, no such a random points scoring way as GTA.

15) Aircraft in every single game (I've been playing too much BF1942 :P).

16) I'd like to see a situation where you actually feel pressured, and make rash desistions which usually muck up (so basically, feeling involved).

17) Teamwork. Games like UT had teamwork I know, but you couldn't give to specicfic orders, just 'Attack' or 'Defend'. Whereas you could hotkeys to say 'Attack defend
(note this was a single player idea, though maybe hardish to put in.)

18) More freedom in worlds, and just walk around a city, maybe with your own car, this should NOT be a MMORPG.

19) I'd like the ability to shoot blindly round a corner (like the Germans in MOH). The ability to spread some rounds at people randomly with little chance of taking lots of damage. I have no idea how this would work eg. viewpoints, but just the chance to lay down some cover fire for a mate to leg it across an opening.

20) Guns. Lots of guns. Realistic modern warfare guns, with realistic characteristics. Make there be so many guns that it is unlikely that anyone else on thee server has the same tastes (like all the GR mods rolled into one selection).

21) The humour of NOLF and GTA3

22) The graphics/physics of Unreal Tournament 2003

23) An original setting (Iron Storm...sort of)

23) The set pieces and sound quality and people's expressions of MOHAA

24) The stealth of Thief

25) The gore of SOF2 (perhaps toned down a little)

26) The freedom of Deus Ex

27) Team combat like SWAT (but simpler)

28) A gripping storyline with decent characters.

And what is this game?

Impossible, that's what.

Thanks for reading,
Flux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.