GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are sequels the future?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/11/02 at 20:36
Regular
Are sequels the future?

From the beginning to the present to the modern times, games have been made. From the classic Mr Game & Watch to the last years Crash bandicoot to the present Blink the time sweeper or starfox adventures and grand theft auto vice city. All these games I have mentioned are main leaders in there fields but if my theory is right we are all going to see these games much more often in the future as sequels.

I am not saying that sequels are bad they in some cases can be the best thing that ever happened take Grand theft auto and the final fantasy series. They are all good games but not in all cases are sequel the right way to go. If you look at the ratings of games in series you will often see that the original is better than all the rest. Take the ocarina of time for example in its review it got a excellent 97% from an average of magazines I have read now its sequel majora’s mask only got 95% average don’t take me wrong that’s a very good mark but in percentage wise the original beat the sequel. And also game sequels can be the downfall to the character. If you went into a store and you bought a game and you played at home and you found it original excellent overall a great game and then you hear that in like in 6 months the sequels due to be realised or close to come your going to feel a bit ripped off. Also lets say the sequel has come out and you get it and you realise it is basically exactly the same to the first your going to be annoyed. You just spent your hard earned cash on game that is exactly the same to the original. It is like buying a game control, you walk into a store and you see all these flashy controllers. Some have pictures on it some are shaped differently but at the end of the day they are all the same so you just wasted an extra 5-10 quid on a dressed up control. This is a common problem for sequels, which is very hard to avoid and causes game producers hell. The basic problem is that they had so much success with the original they think that if they keep the same game add different scenarios, include an extra character and that’s enough end of story money in the bag. Well unless the original was that good and I mean proper excellence the people will not stand for it. The game has to bring a new element to the game turning it from 2D to 3D it has to add something to the game which reveals a whole new level to the game.

But you have to give credit to the games that manage to accomplish all this and are still great games. The following are some games that have accomplished this:

Grand theft auto Vice city

This game keeps all the good parts of the other grand theft autos and adds something unique.

Banjo Tooie

This game took banjo and kazooie to a whole different dimension and revealed it.

Timesplitters 2
Smash bros melee
Rogue squadron 2
Halo 2

And many many more some games in the list haven’t even come out yet but with the publicity of these games its bound to be a success.

At the end of the day we buy the games and sequels are the future and the way its going its getting better in quality but there are more and more original ideas out there and I think its better to put these ideas in new games than in a game that has gone on for ages.

Thank you for reading and goodbye

Jaasz
Thu 21/11/02 at 19:47
Regular
"who'd the man."
there is nothing wrong with sequels but why give the game producer an easy ride why not make them to think harder so that they can think of a knew idea. most of the new ideas for games are great.
Wed 20/11/02 at 22:20
Regular
""to many dead hero""
they will probably be more sequels in future because well there cant be much new ideas left and any way whats wrong with them. as you said nothing
Wed 20/11/02 at 20:36
Regular
"who'd the man."
Are sequels the future?

From the beginning to the present to the modern times, games have been made. From the classic Mr Game & Watch to the last years Crash bandicoot to the present Blink the time sweeper or starfox adventures and grand theft auto vice city. All these games I have mentioned are main leaders in there fields but if my theory is right we are all going to see these games much more often in the future as sequels.

I am not saying that sequels are bad they in some cases can be the best thing that ever happened take Grand theft auto and the final fantasy series. They are all good games but not in all cases are sequel the right way to go. If you look at the ratings of games in series you will often see that the original is better than all the rest. Take the ocarina of time for example in its review it got a excellent 97% from an average of magazines I have read now its sequel majora’s mask only got 95% average don’t take me wrong that’s a very good mark but in percentage wise the original beat the sequel. And also game sequels can be the downfall to the character. If you went into a store and you bought a game and you played at home and you found it original excellent overall a great game and then you hear that in like in 6 months the sequels due to be realised or close to come your going to feel a bit ripped off. Also lets say the sequel has come out and you get it and you realise it is basically exactly the same to the first your going to be annoyed. You just spent your hard earned cash on game that is exactly the same to the original. It is like buying a game control, you walk into a store and you see all these flashy controllers. Some have pictures on it some are shaped differently but at the end of the day they are all the same so you just wasted an extra 5-10 quid on a dressed up control. This is a common problem for sequels, which is very hard to avoid and causes game producers hell. The basic problem is that they had so much success with the original they think that if they keep the same game add different scenarios, include an extra character and that’s enough end of story money in the bag. Well unless the original was that good and I mean proper excellence the people will not stand for it. The game has to bring a new element to the game turning it from 2D to 3D it has to add something to the game which reveals a whole new level to the game.

But you have to give credit to the games that manage to accomplish all this and are still great games. The following are some games that have accomplished this:

Grand theft auto Vice city

This game keeps all the good parts of the other grand theft autos and adds something unique.

Banjo Tooie

This game took banjo and kazooie to a whole different dimension and revealed it.

Timesplitters 2
Smash bros melee
Rogue squadron 2
Halo 2

And many many more some games in the list haven’t even come out yet but with the publicity of these games its bound to be a success.

At the end of the day we buy the games and sequels are the future and the way its going its getting better in quality but there are more and more original ideas out there and I think its better to put these ideas in new games than in a game that has gone on for ages.

Thank you for reading and goodbye

Jaasz

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.