GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming- is it going forwards or backwards?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/03/02 at 20:09
Regular
In this day and age, gamers everywhere around the world are playing their consoles, believing that they are playing on the latest consoles, which are fast and cool. These days, games are getting better and better graphics, and are improving all the time, but at what cost? Think about it. We play on our Gamecubes, PS2's and xbox's, getting the satisfaction of watching quality graphics on a small screen. We hardly realize that we are taking two steps forward and one step back. How you ask?

1)Loading times- I set my NES up last night, and the game instantly loads when you switch the power on. The PS2 has loading times, that can be very slow. We are supposed to be playing the next-generation consoles, but we are submitted to loading times.

2)Size- The Xbox is phenomenally HUGE! It is even bigger than the NES! Sure, the Gamecube is tiny, and the PS2 is slim, but why are microsoft making their console so big, when they are competing with the two giants of the games industry- Sony and Nintendo.

3)Controller ports- The NES, SNES and psx only had two controller ports. This limited gamers to only two player multiplayer games (psx haad a multitap though) So why have Sony decided to only have two controller ports on the PS2 when Nintendo and Microsoft both have four controller ports. This means that gamers have to pay more money for a multitap just so they can play multiplayer games. Not very smart.

4) Piracy- Nintendo have always ensured that their games cannot be copied, but already the PS2 has pirate games, and people are working on the Xbox as we speak. Consoles should not be able to be chipped. Microsoft have deemed the Xbox "unchippable" but someone, somewhere is going to work out how to chip it.

In the next generation of consoles, after the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, lets hope that consoles all have four ports, have instant loading times, and cannot be copied.
Sun 10/03/02 at 18:36
"penguins in hawaii?"
Ice Blaster wrote:
> Technology wise the Gaming industry is flying forward.

I can't say the same
> for the games. Title such as Final fantasy 10, MGS2, Sonic 2 Adventure and Mario
> Sunshine are all sequels of a kind. Nothing new- so are we still standing stil
> whilst techonolgy sends us forwards?

I would have to disagree. We are moving forward with technology, but at a very slow rate. Technology keeps on getting smaller and smaller, but there is a limit. Take a laptop for exampple, the restriction of its minimisation is the keyboard. The only way it can get smaller is if we get smaller fingers that can use smaller buttons.
Sat 09/03/02 at 20:19
Regular
"Back in black"
Technology wise the Gaming industry is flying forward.

I can't say the same for the games. Title such as Final fantasy 10, MGS2, Sonic 2 Adventure and Mario Sunshine are all sequels of a kind. Nothing new- so are we still standing stil whilst techonolgy sends us forwards?
Sat 09/03/02 at 20:09
"penguins in hawaii?"
In this day and age, gamers everywhere around the world are playing their consoles, believing that they are playing on the latest consoles, which are fast and cool. These days, games are getting better and better graphics, and are improving all the time, but at what cost? Think about it. We play on our Gamecubes, PS2's and xbox's, getting the satisfaction of watching quality graphics on a small screen. We hardly realize that we are taking two steps forward and one step back. How you ask?

1)Loading times- I set my NES up last night, and the game instantly loads when you switch the power on. The PS2 has loading times, that can be very slow. We are supposed to be playing the next-generation consoles, but we are submitted to loading times.

2)Size- The Xbox is phenomenally HUGE! It is even bigger than the NES! Sure, the Gamecube is tiny, and the PS2 is slim, but why are microsoft making their console so big, when they are competing with the two giants of the games industry- Sony and Nintendo.

3)Controller ports- The NES, SNES and psx only had two controller ports. This limited gamers to only two player multiplayer games (psx haad a multitap though) So why have Sony decided to only have two controller ports on the PS2 when Nintendo and Microsoft both have four controller ports. This means that gamers have to pay more money for a multitap just so they can play multiplayer games. Not very smart.

4) Piracy- Nintendo have always ensured that their games cannot be copied, but already the PS2 has pirate games, and people are working on the Xbox as we speak. Consoles should not be able to be chipped. Microsoft have deemed the Xbox "unchippable" but someone, somewhere is going to work out how to chip it.

In the next generation of consoles, after the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, lets hope that consoles all have four ports, have instant loading times, and cannot be copied.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.