GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Kiddy Console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/11/02 at 20:30
Regular
To all forumers

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion about Nintendo being a 'kiddy console'. I have seen multiple different places report their thoughts on the whole kiddy idea. Take note most of them come from radical Sony and Xbox fans. Many places that aren't Nintendo related always seem to corner the GameCube Fans with this statement, "Nintendo is a Kiddy Console". Well I am here to clear up some confusion and prove that the Nintendo GameCube or Nintendo itself is not even close to being a 'kiddy console'. In the part of clearning up confusion, in this I mean most people are confused. They have no idea what a kiddy console really is, or they may not even know the history of Nintendo and how the gaming industry was built. They also lack the sense of how it works.

if you look at the Xbox's hardware at face value, you will be very impressed but anyone who has a Slight Background in PC's whether building them, programing them, or doing graphic arts on one he/she can tell you qute a bit about all three systems. One, Megahertz means almost nothing when you are talking about Computer CPU speed. In truth the GC Gekko PPC CPU is faster than the P3. For starts the Cache sytem of GC is far larger, the L1 being 32 KB and the L2 being 256 2 way, The P3 has L1 Cache of 16bit and L2 Cache is 256 KB half speed. So if you where going to take processing power and the amount of Data able to be shoved through a processor the Gekko can compute twice as much.

Next the Ram system of the Xbox is based on a flawed idea from the early 1980's its GPU and CPU share 64 MB of SDram. Though it can designate what part needs more ram the GPU or CPU this creates a bottleneck and eats up clock cycles. So the True Polygon processing for the GPU of the Xbox is only around 20 -30 million polygons in games. The Flpper GPU for the GC has better rendering cababilities and the qualty of the graphics out matches the Xbox's. The ram in the GC is 27 MB of 1T-Sram the most advanced Ram on the market. This stops the GC from having a bottleneck in addtion, 3 MB of the Ram goes straight to the GPU and the rest is used as needed. This Ram is actually around 4-5 times faster than SDram, in addition the GC also has 16 MB of SDram to be used as needed.

Hard Drive; well next year a card hard drive will be released for the GC(or so rumors say) also unlike the Xbox's Ceramic Hard Drive the Card Hard Drive by IBM will not die after quite a bit of use. A ceramic Hard Drive WILL! The modem for the GC will cost between 30-50 pound, and the Broadband will cost more but the Xbox does not support Dial-Up modems for places that do not have access to High Speed Internet connections, which is most of the country.

Xbox does not support DVD playing out of the Box it needs a 30 pound adapter, so for paying 70 pound over the price of a GC you could have bought a stand alone DVD player that would outmatch the Xbox's.( If you buy a remote and the DVD adapter

Load Times for the GC are lower than any other system because it has less disc area and a different laser frequency for reading. Creating a 4-8 sec load period with the Xbox coming in second at 14-20 seconds, and the PS2 at 30-60 seconds on average.

Now that we have that cleared up, lets get into the next aspect. Following the processor, the Xbox also has a high speed modem. So what, who cares? Do you care? I don't care, and there is a reason for it. I don't have access to high speed internet along with 20+ million other people who surf the web. The truth is more people use 56k than cable or Broadband. 56k is much cheaper, but a lot slower. Not many people even have access to it, so what's the point in releasing it? I live in Radnorshire, for christ sake What are they prepping for the future? I bet in about four years the majority of internet users will have high speed access and by then, there will be a new console ready for launch.

So now we know that the Xbox is limited to certain areas only, not everyone will be able to go online with it. The GameCube, on the other hand, is able to use dialup modem or high speed access, which means you can use 56k or cable. The Xbox comes with the modem, in which the GameCube does not. So does that make the Xbox have better hardware? Not exactly. If you buy them both right out of the box, the Xbox wins in that area, but it gets more complexed. With your Nintendo GameCube you have the option to buy a high speed adapter or an adapter for 56k. Now lets say that I am a gamer that only cares about getting online through my game system. What would I do? Well personally I would use my Sega Dreamcast, but that's not the case. Lets see, I only have access to 56k (which most people do) so I would get a Nintendo GameCube. Then maybe in the future when they offer high speed access to my area, I will purchase a high speed adapter. In conclusion, the Xbox is the best way to go if you want to get on the net and you already have cable internet. Wrapping it up like that doesn't certainly mean it's better in hardware than the Playstation 2 and GameCube.

The PS2, which I didn't even mention also has internet capabilites, but it only offers 56k. So if you're one of the unfortunate, but majority of the population who do not have high speed access, you should get a Playstation 2. Again this is ONLY if you're looking at the possibility of online gaming as soon as you buy it out of the box. That still doesn't draw us to a full conclusion on which console has better hardware, thus better internet capabilities.

So what you can see here are variations of what kind of modem comes with each console, and if it is able to be used right out of the box. GameCube you can't use out of the box, and chances are you won't need to anyway. Online gaming isn't huge, it isn't anything right now. Some do go online and play, but not very many do so. There are some games available, but what Nintendo, Sony and Xbox can really do online hasn't even begun yet. In the future, some games will be made particulary for the internet. Now lets wrap this havoc up. Which is actually the best for online gameplay? The GameCube, obviously. Since the Sega Dreamcast isn't developed for anymore, it gets knocked out for online gaming instantly. The Xbox goes next since only a small percentage of video gamers even have access to high speed internet. So that leaves the GameCube and Playstation 2. Now look at it this way. Heavy online gaming won't be available until around 2002 for any system. Yes there will be games, but the real fun starts later. We have the Playstation 2 at 170 and the GameCube at 130. The GameCube lacks the inclusion of a modem packages with it, unlike the PS2, but by the time you consider the cost, the GameCube ends up being cheaper either way. So lets say the modem costs 30-50 roughly, you're saving 30-50 or more if you go with the GameCube. Now, one last thing remains. The high speed modem. What if your ISP gets updated and gets high speed access? Wouldn't you want to be in on the lightning fast gamplay? Well if you're buying a console for online gaming, of course you do. Even if you currently have high speed, the GameCube is still cheaper. Why spend $50+ on an online compatible gaming system if you just want online gaming? Exactly you shouldn't, and again in most people's case they have 56k! And if you ever get upgraded to broadband, you won't have to buy an Xbox because GameCube does both. There you have it folks, the answer is plain and simple, unfortunately it has to be heavily explained to get the truth across.

Continuing on with hardware. Since the modems on the GameCube account for as hardware, it beats the Playstation 2 and Xbox. So far the GameCube wins in processor speed and internet hardware, but there is one more major thing to cover: DVD and CD players. You can pretty much count GameCube out on this one. It plays games and games only. The games run off of a minidisc. Now before we get into the part about how the Xbox and Playstation are better because they have a DVD player, you have to ask yourself this. Does it really matter? Four years ago were you looking at hardware? No, you were looking at what games it had. Millions of gamers didn't rush out and buy a Playstation because it had a CD player or the N64 since it had a 64DD addon announced (which was cancelled). Has hardware ever mattered? Of course not. My VCR suits me just fine, but if I wanted a DVD player, honestly, I would buy one from Sony. Not a Playstation 2, I would buy a Sony DVD player. So either way, they're getting my money if I choose to buy one. Another advantage the Playstation 2 has is it can play CDs. This leads to another question. Do you own a CD player? Most people do, that wasn't the case in 1996 however. Whether it be a personal headset or a stereo system, there is probably one in your house that you can use. For crying out loud, this is the millennium. Everyone should, by now, have a CD player!

Notice how we now find ourselves way off topic. Were talking about buying DVD players and owning a CD player. Honestly, what the hell does that have to do with video games? Exactly my point, nothing. The NES was a great console, it didn't need a cassette player to capture the heart of gamers, nor did it need a built in VCR. Saying that the Playstation 2 is better than the GameCube is like saying a VCR is better than an N64. Lets not forget to mention the xbox though. It can also play CDs, but cannot play DVDs unless you buy something which enables it to. This'll cost you an extra 30 or so. Now that we have the facts, lets end this whole hardware contest and acknowledge the truth.

FACT: Sony has more mature rated games out.

FACT: Sony has more children's games and games rated with an E than the GameCube.

FACT: Sony has more games, period.

Ahh, quite interesting. Hhhmmm... The truth is: The Playstation and Playstation 2 has far more games out than the GameCube, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Xbox combined. So maybe that's how people came up with 'Playstation being made for mature gamers'. What's funny is they didn't notice all the Sesame Street games and etc that were out for the Playstation. Speaking of, I seen a new commercial for a barbie game on PSX. And not to mention, the spice girls game? Now were getting into games made for girls and womenly men... And they happen to be on the Playstation.

The Playstation also has its fair share in games rated "E" for everyone. As this article states, "The kid-oriented games that Nintendo are popularizing include titles such as Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Donkey Kong , Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Kirby's Tilt And Tumble, cel-shaded Zelda, Super Smash Brothers Melee, etc etc." Every single one of those games listed are rated "E" for everyone, except Smash Bros. Melee, that is rated "T" for teen. That means the game is made for pretty much all ages of any sex, male or female. Everyone can play these games, and most will enjoy these games. So tell me, because a game is made for everyone, that means it is childish? Not at all if you ask me. I am 15 and enjoy playing Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros., and if someone is going to stand up and say those games are for little kids, then I will be the one to prove them wrong.

It is true that Nintendo is targetted to younger gamers since there are more younger gamers, and that is why the GameCube is selling better. One thing still remains however, just because Nintendo (The Japanese people) think they are targetting a younger audience, doesn't mean they are. Maybe they don't even think they're targetting younger kids, maybe it's just certain people. They're not just targeting a younger audience though. I've seen people of all ages playing Nintendo. They are targeting everyone whether they know it or not. And these games they're making aren't kiddy titles, they're fun games made suitable for all ages. A game doesn't have to carry a mature rated title to be fun, just like a music CD doesn't have to carry a parental advisory sticker to be good. A video game console isn't supposed to be a combat training simulation program or a blood generator, it's made for entertainment and that's it. Now if blood entertains you, I understand. That is why there is games like Turok Evolution, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil and other titles available that are rated "Mature". There are more on the Playstation 2, but that is only because there are more games on the Playstation 2 together anyway.

I hope you enjoyed my long, but hopefully informative post. I just want people to see the actual facts in the gaming industry. There are things made up to manipulate gamers in which console to buy. Each system has their own strengths and weaknesses, but not anyone should be tricked by a rumor, turning them off into buying a certain video game console.

WelshMiyamoto
Thu 21/11/02 at 20:30
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
To all forumers

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion about Nintendo being a 'kiddy console'. I have seen multiple different places report their thoughts on the whole kiddy idea. Take note most of them come from radical Sony and Xbox fans. Many places that aren't Nintendo related always seem to corner the GameCube Fans with this statement, "Nintendo is a Kiddy Console". Well I am here to clear up some confusion and prove that the Nintendo GameCube or Nintendo itself is not even close to being a 'kiddy console'. In the part of clearning up confusion, in this I mean most people are confused. They have no idea what a kiddy console really is, or they may not even know the history of Nintendo and how the gaming industry was built. They also lack the sense of how it works.

if you look at the Xbox's hardware at face value, you will be very impressed but anyone who has a Slight Background in PC's whether building them, programing them, or doing graphic arts on one he/she can tell you qute a bit about all three systems. One, Megahertz means almost nothing when you are talking about Computer CPU speed. In truth the GC Gekko PPC CPU is faster than the P3. For starts the Cache sytem of GC is far larger, the L1 being 32 KB and the L2 being 256 2 way, The P3 has L1 Cache of 16bit and L2 Cache is 256 KB half speed. So if you where going to take processing power and the amount of Data able to be shoved through a processor the Gekko can compute twice as much.

Next the Ram system of the Xbox is based on a flawed idea from the early 1980's its GPU and CPU share 64 MB of SDram. Though it can designate what part needs more ram the GPU or CPU this creates a bottleneck and eats up clock cycles. So the True Polygon processing for the GPU of the Xbox is only around 20 -30 million polygons in games. The Flpper GPU for the GC has better rendering cababilities and the qualty of the graphics out matches the Xbox's. The ram in the GC is 27 MB of 1T-Sram the most advanced Ram on the market. This stops the GC from having a bottleneck in addtion, 3 MB of the Ram goes straight to the GPU and the rest is used as needed. This Ram is actually around 4-5 times faster than SDram, in addition the GC also has 16 MB of SDram to be used as needed.

Hard Drive; well next year a card hard drive will be released for the GC(or so rumors say) also unlike the Xbox's Ceramic Hard Drive the Card Hard Drive by IBM will not die after quite a bit of use. A ceramic Hard Drive WILL! The modem for the GC will cost between 30-50 pound, and the Broadband will cost more but the Xbox does not support Dial-Up modems for places that do not have access to High Speed Internet connections, which is most of the country.

Xbox does not support DVD playing out of the Box it needs a 30 pound adapter, so for paying 70 pound over the price of a GC you could have bought a stand alone DVD player that would outmatch the Xbox's.( If you buy a remote and the DVD adapter

Load Times for the GC are lower than any other system because it has less disc area and a different laser frequency for reading. Creating a 4-8 sec load period with the Xbox coming in second at 14-20 seconds, and the PS2 at 30-60 seconds on average.

Now that we have that cleared up, lets get into the next aspect. Following the processor, the Xbox also has a high speed modem. So what, who cares? Do you care? I don't care, and there is a reason for it. I don't have access to high speed internet along with 20+ million other people who surf the web. The truth is more people use 56k than cable or Broadband. 56k is much cheaper, but a lot slower. Not many people even have access to it, so what's the point in releasing it? I live in Radnorshire, for christ sake What are they prepping for the future? I bet in about four years the majority of internet users will have high speed access and by then, there will be a new console ready for launch.

So now we know that the Xbox is limited to certain areas only, not everyone will be able to go online with it. The GameCube, on the other hand, is able to use dialup modem or high speed access, which means you can use 56k or cable. The Xbox comes with the modem, in which the GameCube does not. So does that make the Xbox have better hardware? Not exactly. If you buy them both right out of the box, the Xbox wins in that area, but it gets more complexed. With your Nintendo GameCube you have the option to buy a high speed adapter or an adapter for 56k. Now lets say that I am a gamer that only cares about getting online through my game system. What would I do? Well personally I would use my Sega Dreamcast, but that's not the case. Lets see, I only have access to 56k (which most people do) so I would get a Nintendo GameCube. Then maybe in the future when they offer high speed access to my area, I will purchase a high speed adapter. In conclusion, the Xbox is the best way to go if you want to get on the net and you already have cable internet. Wrapping it up like that doesn't certainly mean it's better in hardware than the Playstation 2 and GameCube.

The PS2, which I didn't even mention also has internet capabilites, but it only offers 56k. So if you're one of the unfortunate, but majority of the population who do not have high speed access, you should get a Playstation 2. Again this is ONLY if you're looking at the possibility of online gaming as soon as you buy it out of the box. That still doesn't draw us to a full conclusion on which console has better hardware, thus better internet capabilities.

So what you can see here are variations of what kind of modem comes with each console, and if it is able to be used right out of the box. GameCube you can't use out of the box, and chances are you won't need to anyway. Online gaming isn't huge, it isn't anything right now. Some do go online and play, but not very many do so. There are some games available, but what Nintendo, Sony and Xbox can really do online hasn't even begun yet. In the future, some games will be made particulary for the internet. Now lets wrap this havoc up. Which is actually the best for online gameplay? The GameCube, obviously. Since the Sega Dreamcast isn't developed for anymore, it gets knocked out for online gaming instantly. The Xbox goes next since only a small percentage of video gamers even have access to high speed internet. So that leaves the GameCube and Playstation 2. Now look at it this way. Heavy online gaming won't be available until around 2002 for any system. Yes there will be games, but the real fun starts later. We have the Playstation 2 at 170 and the GameCube at 130. The GameCube lacks the inclusion of a modem packages with it, unlike the PS2, but by the time you consider the cost, the GameCube ends up being cheaper either way. So lets say the modem costs 30-50 roughly, you're saving 30-50 or more if you go with the GameCube. Now, one last thing remains. The high speed modem. What if your ISP gets updated and gets high speed access? Wouldn't you want to be in on the lightning fast gamplay? Well if you're buying a console for online gaming, of course you do. Even if you currently have high speed, the GameCube is still cheaper. Why spend $50+ on an online compatible gaming system if you just want online gaming? Exactly you shouldn't, and again in most people's case they have 56k! And if you ever get upgraded to broadband, you won't have to buy an Xbox because GameCube does both. There you have it folks, the answer is plain and simple, unfortunately it has to be heavily explained to get the truth across.

Continuing on with hardware. Since the modems on the GameCube account for as hardware, it beats the Playstation 2 and Xbox. So far the GameCube wins in processor speed and internet hardware, but there is one more major thing to cover: DVD and CD players. You can pretty much count GameCube out on this one. It plays games and games only. The games run off of a minidisc. Now before we get into the part about how the Xbox and Playstation are better because they have a DVD player, you have to ask yourself this. Does it really matter? Four years ago were you looking at hardware? No, you were looking at what games it had. Millions of gamers didn't rush out and buy a Playstation because it had a CD player or the N64 since it had a 64DD addon announced (which was cancelled). Has hardware ever mattered? Of course not. My VCR suits me just fine, but if I wanted a DVD player, honestly, I would buy one from Sony. Not a Playstation 2, I would buy a Sony DVD player. So either way, they're getting my money if I choose to buy one. Another advantage the Playstation 2 has is it can play CDs. This leads to another question. Do you own a CD player? Most people do, that wasn't the case in 1996 however. Whether it be a personal headset or a stereo system, there is probably one in your house that you can use. For crying out loud, this is the millennium. Everyone should, by now, have a CD player!

Notice how we now find ourselves way off topic. Were talking about buying DVD players and owning a CD player. Honestly, what the hell does that have to do with video games? Exactly my point, nothing. The NES was a great console, it didn't need a cassette player to capture the heart of gamers, nor did it need a built in VCR. Saying that the Playstation 2 is better than the GameCube is like saying a VCR is better than an N64. Lets not forget to mention the xbox though. It can also play CDs, but cannot play DVDs unless you buy something which enables it to. This'll cost you an extra 30 or so. Now that we have the facts, lets end this whole hardware contest and acknowledge the truth.

FACT: Sony has more mature rated games out.

FACT: Sony has more children's games and games rated with an E than the GameCube.

FACT: Sony has more games, period.

Ahh, quite interesting. Hhhmmm... The truth is: The Playstation and Playstation 2 has far more games out than the GameCube, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Xbox combined. So maybe that's how people came up with 'Playstation being made for mature gamers'. What's funny is they didn't notice all the Sesame Street games and etc that were out for the Playstation. Speaking of, I seen a new commercial for a barbie game on PSX. And not to mention, the spice girls game? Now were getting into games made for girls and womenly men... And they happen to be on the Playstation.

The Playstation also has its fair share in games rated "E" for everyone. As this article states, "The kid-oriented games that Nintendo are popularizing include titles such as Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Donkey Kong , Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Kirby's Tilt And Tumble, cel-shaded Zelda, Super Smash Brothers Melee, etc etc." Every single one of those games listed are rated "E" for everyone, except Smash Bros. Melee, that is rated "T" for teen. That means the game is made for pretty much all ages of any sex, male or female. Everyone can play these games, and most will enjoy these games. So tell me, because a game is made for everyone, that means it is childish? Not at all if you ask me. I am 15 and enjoy playing Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros., and if someone is going to stand up and say those games are for little kids, then I will be the one to prove them wrong.

It is true that Nintendo is targetted to younger gamers since there are more younger gamers, and that is why the GameCube is selling better. One thing still remains however, just because Nintendo (The Japanese people) think they are targetting a younger audience, doesn't mean they are. Maybe they don't even think they're targetting younger kids, maybe it's just certain people. They're not just targeting a younger audience though. I've seen people of all ages playing Nintendo. They are targeting everyone whether they know it or not. And these games they're making aren't kiddy titles, they're fun games made suitable for all ages. A game doesn't have to carry a mature rated title to be fun, just like a music CD doesn't have to carry a parental advisory sticker to be good. A video game console isn't supposed to be a combat training simulation program or a blood generator, it's made for entertainment and that's it. Now if blood entertains you, I understand. That is why there is games like Turok Evolution, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil and other titles available that are rated "Mature". There are more on the Playstation 2, but that is only because there are more games on the Playstation 2 together anyway.

I hope you enjoyed my long, but hopefully informative post. I just want people to see the actual facts in the gaming industry. There are things made up to manipulate gamers in which console to buy. Each system has their own strengths and weaknesses, but not anyone should be tricked by a rumor, turning them off into buying a certain video game console.

WelshMiyamoto
Fri 22/11/02 at 22:48
Regular
"hit the road jack"
that was lovely
Fri 22/11/02 at 22:52
Regular
"thursdayton!"
real tempted to reply quoting your message, WelshMiyamoto. You must be kicking yourself it hasn'nt won gameaday...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.