GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First opinions of Grand Prix Challenge"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Prix Challenge'.
Fri 22/11/02 at 10:40
Regular
http://forum.granturismo.com/showthread.php?
s=d1db316a15b2a5cbd8866226a426474b&threadid=73831

I recommend any fans of racing games or F1 read this thread at granturismo.com. It sounds like we've finally been given an F1 game that doesn't have huge glaring flaws! Most impressive is the claims of graphics as solid as Gran Turismo with 22 cars. Terrible framerate has been the big downfall of most recent F1 games (it was especially bad in EA Sports, and annoying in Sony's effort).

Also it has been reported that the difficulty is spot on, as it is quite challenging - i.e. you won't overtake 10 cars on a single straight.

With 14 more opponents than GT3 (which hopefully have a more interesting AI too) this could turn out to be one of the best racers on PS2. I should really reserve judgement until I play it myself, but the GT forum guys are hardcore so I trust their opinions.

WHY KEEP IT SECRET??
Mon 25/11/02 at 10:22
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Presumably because of the lack of publicity. The only shop I have seen stocking it is Game. The smaller shops don't want to risk stocking something that hasn't been advertised, as they don't expect it to sell (no matter how good it is).

It is absolutely criminal that people are most likely going to buy Sonys F1 2002 instead of this, because that's all they will see on the shelves. The DVD will probably sway them too, but if you want a top racing game it's a mistake to neglect GPC.
Sun 24/11/02 at 17:55
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Hmmm, I wonder why it isn't on SR's database...
Sun 24/11/02 at 17:49
"...Unicef pennies.."
A few pics here..

http://gameinfowire.com/image.asp? (SPACE) iid=9055&gid=326&pg=&pid=2

Does look quite sassy, I have to admit!
Sun 24/11/02 at 17:41
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
This is the personal homepage of one of the developers:

http://www.torps.com/GrandPrixChallenge/

The screens in the game are not as anti-aliased as the ones shown on this site, but it still looks amazing, especially as it has no slowdown and no frame loss.

If you search on the net you might find one or two previews, but Infogrames have not marketed this at all so info is thin on the ground. I saw a post from one of the developers on granturismo.com and he says they are all incredibly frustrated by it, but they have to assume Infogrames are in serious financial trouble.

I have to say again how impressed I was this morning - after unlocking all the tracks I switched from Easy to Intermediate AI on the other cars, and I could not keep up with the pace! You really have to get your braking points right, or you will be left for dust. Superb.

P.S. It's starting to get high ratings at gamerankings.com as well.
Sun 24/11/02 at 16:15
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Are there any piccys that I can look at for this game?
Sun 24/11/02 at 15:21
"cheerios"
cheers darwock
Sun 24/11/02 at 15:19
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
10 day return, no explanation necessary (as long as the disc isn't destroyed I presume). I usually just tell 'em the truth - don't like the game!
Sun 24/11/02 at 11:43
"cheerios"
yeah about the return policy at GAME... what do they say... how many days and what reasons can u give it back for??? ... :)
Fri 22/11/02 at 14:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Flying Pig wrote:
> To be honest, I’d wait for a definitive review before I go for it, and
> certainly wouldn’t take someone on some games forum’s word for how
> good a game is.

Just want to add something about this. In my opinion the word of like minded people who have shared my disappointment with previous games is much more 'definitive' than some hack at a magazine (who probably dislikes the sport anyway).

Why should you trust a magazine over another games fan? Especially as there are so many cases of review fixing and bribery in the games press?
Fri 22/11/02 at 14:48
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You didn't read that thread did you? :-)

I got it in Game at lunchtime and had a quick go before returning to work. I always buy F1 games at a shop with a return policy because they are so frequently disappointing.

Initial impressions - this is a true *racing* game, not just a driving 'engine'. I was in the Ferrari, not used to driving with the DS2 so braking too early and weaving all over.

When you brake too early - you don't get rammed from behind like in other titles, instead they will take advantage of your mistake and you will get overtaken.

I exited the last corner at Interlagos very badly, and got overtaken by the Minardis. I struggled to catch them until the next braking point because they carried so much more speed through than I did. if this was EA's game I would have blazed past them the minute I floored the throttle.

Frame rate is rock solid at 60fps, in all race conditions. I can't wait to hook up my FF wheel and find out how deep this game goes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.