GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"StarFox Adventures"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Fox Adventures'.
Fri 22/11/02 at 12:59
Regular
It came in the post today, on-time (cheers SR!), and I've been playing it for most of the morning (couldn't be bothered with school today, you see).
And so-far, I don't really have a lot of bad things to say about this game.
Then again... I haven't really played THAT much of it.

As far as the graphics are concerned, this game is superb!
Look at the detail on Fox McCloud's fur... So real you can almost stroke it! The water effects look lovely too, and so does everything else around the enviroments so-far. Especially when it poors-down with rain!

It looks like Zelda, but it isn't Zelda. Although a lot of the controls and stuff resemble the Zelda 64 games almost identically.
You've got you're usual "Attack", "Put Down", and the rest, and there's even a neat targeting system that works well - and you don't even have to press Z to lock-on to fight. Beating an enemy is too easy really, but the way Fox uses his staff, his wide-range of different moves... it's all so incredible to look at and watch as that dino doesn't even get a second to breathe!

And as for the accents, they've made me laugh so far!
There's a giant stone Warp blokey who sounds kinda like Billy Connoly, some odd ramblings from Genral Scales, Krystal and the local Dinosaurs, but the Mammoths don't sound right... Sounds like a Cockney BADLY impersonating a farmer from Devon, and it just doesn't work.
Good all the same though, really livens up the game further.

The in-space shoot-'em-up sections are good too, and they remind me of Lylat Wars, but with much-better graphics. It works just the same as before, but it looks a lot better. It's still easy too - and that's what most of the game seems to be like. But it's still fun.
And the bit where you chase 2 dinos on a Snowmobile-type-thing is good too, but a little frustrating when you hit the sides though.
That's pretty easy too.

It's a great game from what I can see so-far, but I have a feeling the adventure is going to be very linear in places. Even though it's not the Zelda clone some were expecting, you shouldn't put this game down like NGC and the rest have done. It may be pretty easy, but it's still fun.
Rare still could've done slightly better though.

Want to know anything else? Just ask.
And it only uses 3 blocks for saving!

But wasn't this supposed to be multiplayer or something?
And I wonder if we'll soon se Falco in a similar style game to this?
I hope so. :)
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:49
Regular
Different Stripes wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
>
> Anyone who says Rare don't matter anymore needs a slap.
>
> I bet you've changed your tune now!

If they did the graphic and Miyamoto did the gameplay then no I wouldn't. But gameplay wise, Starfox smells of wee.
Mon 25/11/02 at 15:53
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Anyone who says Rare don't matter anymore needs a slap.

I bet you've changed your tune now!
Mon 25/11/02 at 15:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
PinkPig wrote:
> Are you one of those people they interviewed on a breakfast program a
> couple of nights ago, asking why they weren't at school? ;-)
>
> One of them responded, "I got up late this morning"
>
> "And you think that's a good reason not to go to school?"
>
> "Well, you know, I had to have a bath, and like, get up and
> that".

Heh, that's funny! And it's my kinda attitude towards Year 13 too, now that we have all this free-time and-all.
But no, I wasn't interviewed for a Breakfast show. Breakfast's too-early for me!

But I do take days off just because I feel like it - I've been doing that WAY too-much during the last few weeks!
Problem is that I'll fall-behind with the work-loads of my 2 subjects, and maybe even get kicked-out of Sixth Form, if I get caught.
I'm still waiting for at-least ONE teacher to catch-on and realise I can't possibly have been ill every-other 2 or 3 days...!
I think one is suspiscious though, and he doesn't like me anyway... :S
I don't like him either!! :P
Mon 25/11/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Think simply of a new Zelda game, with a Fox replacing Link, General Scales replacing Ganondorf, and loads of Dinosaurs to fight instaed of all the stuff in the Zelda games. All that with the Zelda world but simpler, and with some stunning graphics and animations. And funny regional accents too! No scousers though...
Great combat system - although it's too-easy to do, and a reasonabley simple and easy game overall.

I'd say you should get this if liked Rare for all their work, and if you won't mind something that'll remind you of Zelda, but is too-simple to actually BE Zelda.

It's hard to say just "Yes" or "No", it depends on what you like really.
Sat 23/11/02 at 14:37
"The Will of D."
Solskjær wrote:
> And I wonder if we'll soon see Falco in a similar style game to this?
> I hope so. :)

Oh, but you'll see him very soon though in a certain Starfox game.
Sat 23/11/02 at 13:49
Regular
RM18 wrote:

> Reading this, I'm not sure. Solskjaer, give me a staright answer - is
> it worth getting?

If you liked Rares games on the N64 then i'd say it's worth checking out. It's not a must buy and I can see lastability being a problem but it's worth it for the amazing graphics and the feel of playing a Rare game.

Anyone who says Rare don't matter anymore needs a slap.
Sat 23/11/02 at 13:47
Regular
"thursdayton!"
RM18 wrote:
> Sorry, I never trust people who write solely in upper case

lol!
anyways it is getting good recommendations here, in CUBE and in NOM.

HOWEVER, both NGC and Digi (who I know lots of people dont like but Digi has been around for a decade) have both given it mediocre writeups. (a 2/10 rating can't be ignored).

I am still undecided. Help anyone?
Sat 23/11/02 at 13:44
Regular
id have zelda over SFA and vice city....... or metroid, or mario sunshine.
Sat 23/11/02 at 12:57
Regular
RM18 wrote:
>
>
> Reading this, I'm not sure. Solskjaer, give me a staright answer - is
> it worth getting?

Yes!!!

I'd have SFA over Vice City any day.
Sat 23/11/02 at 11:42
Regular
"Festivus!"
GC2002 you need to give a lot more reason than that for not liking SFA, give reason - Is the game linear (sp? and what does it mean), has it ll been done before... Also, stop doing little replys, try and chat, not be short and snippy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.