GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gaming World of Today.."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/03/02 at 21:49
Regular
We are in the day and age of revolutionised consoles. Gone are the days of the old systems such as Atari's and Master Systems. I remember the time when I couldn?t wait to get home from school to switch on my Amiga 1200 and play Super Car's or Kick off 2, which cost me less than £10.

With so many different kinds of state of the art consoles coming out these days, with exploding graphics, imaginary innovation and brilliant playability, they are costing us so much of our hard earned wages. Take for example, I have recently bought Metal Gear Solid 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer at a combined fee of £70, and being a student you can imagine other things I could have spent this on i.e. course books, rent, petrol. Don?t get me wrong these are wonderful games and I?d play on them all day if I could, but even if I saved £10 from this, I could invest into buying a new game, control pad or even put it into my savings account.

My point is that it is time there was a major crack down on piracy, as this is the reason for the price wars we find ourselves in these days, I know there have been laws taken out but they are simply not good enough, the fines and sentences are not strong enough and at the end of the day it is affecting us, our parents and the world. I would also back an introduction of certain rules, which would state that the price of games should correspond to the amount of our counter parts. For example a game bought from USA or Japan will cost far less than a game bought in Britain, why? High Tax?s & Piracy.
Fri 08/03/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
We are in the day and age of revolutionised consoles. Gone are the days of the old systems such as Atari's and Master Systems. I remember the time when I couldn?t wait to get home from school to switch on my Amiga 1200 and play Super Car's or Kick off 2, which cost me less than £10.

With so many different kinds of state of the art consoles coming out these days, with exploding graphics, imaginary innovation and brilliant playability, they are costing us so much of our hard earned wages. Take for example, I have recently bought Metal Gear Solid 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer at a combined fee of £70, and being a student you can imagine other things I could have spent this on i.e. course books, rent, petrol. Don?t get me wrong these are wonderful games and I?d play on them all day if I could, but even if I saved £10 from this, I could invest into buying a new game, control pad or even put it into my savings account.

My point is that it is time there was a major crack down on piracy, as this is the reason for the price wars we find ourselves in these days, I know there have been laws taken out but they are simply not good enough, the fines and sentences are not strong enough and at the end of the day it is affecting us, our parents and the world. I would also back an introduction of certain rules, which would state that the price of games should correspond to the amount of our counter parts. For example a game bought from USA or Japan will cost far less than a game bought in Britain, why? High Tax?s & Piracy.
Fri 08/03/02 at 21:59
Regular
"360: swfcman"
True, with the piracy around the games prices while not too bad, are still rather too high for my liking. At times i dont think the companies like Sony seem to take this serious enough as they never seem to put much effort in to stopping it. If i have heard correctly though, the X-box has a method that if you take the top off to place a chip in it then it brakes and is no longer any good to use. Maybe more consoles should do this.

On the over hand, i have not payed for a game since last october thanks to a rather nice competition on SR. :D
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:06
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yes while piracy exists, people will be undoubtedly tempted into bugying copied games simply because of the attractive prices. Many people cannot afford to buy many £40 games so they decide to opt for the easier way out. SInce they have that possibility, they are likely to be inclined to buy pirate copies.

If all the major companies were to really do something about pircay, people wouldnt be left with much choice at all but to buy full-priced copies. Which on the other hand could put many gamers off.

So there is no easy solution to this problem, but with the technology advancing all the time, I am sure that Sony will get round to tackling this problem properly
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
>So there is no easy solution to this problem, but with the technology advancing all the time, I am sure that Sony will get round to tackling this problem properly

I know what you mean, but I am confused because im thinking that technology is advanced enough to try and solve the 'chipping' and copies games problem

IT is the solution to many things these days, there are systems out there which can read the human mind let alone clone a human body...

its interesting what Pro Evo says about the X-Box's Solution to this. I would like to see in a year or two's time on whether it solves the problem..

Sony take note..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.