GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Utopia"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/03/02 at 21:11
Regular
Utopia

Utopia, to most people, is where all your good dreams come true. Some refer to it as heaven, or returning to one holy being. Nearly everyone refers to it as an afterlife. It can be interpreted in so many ways; the best way to decide is to choose your own way, like me.

Utopia has been expressed in many ways. I'm sure that someone wants their Utopia to be as stupid and as hilarious as Conker's Bad Fur Day - wandering around somewhere after filling up on a load of booze trying to get home and encountering stuff like big brass boilers. Or to be a world saviour like the Final Fantasy Series - going from zero to hero in just under fifty hours; with encounters from out of this worldly creatures willing to rip you into shreds. Or Resident Evil - An afterlife full of the horrors and scares after chasing around after zombies trying to save the city. Ooo-er!

These are all games of multiple formats. Utopia is an individual belief - high-powered action or lulled solitude? Lara Croft or Mario? Sonic or 'A Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle'? It all goes back to an individual belief. But what lies in the way forward?

With the constant release of new consoles, the games supplied with them become more gracious and, from time to time, more original. In the UK we'll see Luigi's Mansion and Halo on the selves soon - combating against Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid. How our Utopia can be affected is by what goes on around us - in the near future a load of actions and stimulus will occur, and may try to change your views on your individual Utopia.

All entirely hypothetical in reality, of course. The idea of a real utopia should not take our mind - nor should it be spirited away from anybody. The idea of the ideal American Dream during the depression (demonstrated in John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men) was for each individual migrant to own his own land. Admittingly, not all the migrants got their land, but the dream of their own Utopia were still there - held in their hearts.

So here I conclude with a final thought - what will my Utopia yield?

JCSuperStar. Whoo Yeah.
Sun 10/03/02 at 00:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
"Never use a long word where a short one will do"

Guys, throwing big words at each other is the online equivalent of comparing manhood sizes.

So don't bother. You're both above that.
Sat 09/03/02 at 17:36
Regular
JCSuperStar wrote:
> They're not big words. Floccinauchinihilipilification is a long word. It just
> means that either

1) You can't cope or
2) You're uncultured or
3) You're
> about ten years old.

No offense, but I don't see the problem with words like
> 'stereotypical', 'hypothetical' or 'continuous'.

I thought it was Floccipaucinihilipilification?

Which is the action of estamating something as worthless (see Funfax :) )
Sat 09/03/02 at 17:23
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
JCSuperStar wrote:
> They're not big words. Floccinauchinihilipilification is a long word. It just
> means that either

1) You can't cope or
2) You're uncultured or
3) You're
> about ten years old.

Never mind. I'm none of the above.
1) I do A-level English and I'm good at it
2) I watch French films (cultural seal of approval)
3) I'm actually 18 and I'm only joking anyway so don't get worked up or anything.

My point was more that if Stryke insults you just insult back about his beard instead of giving a polysyllabic response.

You see Stryke is a beardy pixie fool because he likes Lord of the Rings and other such fantasy gubbins.

Or quote an insult from a Kevin Smith film or from Withnail and I.

I know my last post sounded slightly nasty but I was going to add some stuff at the end before I had to go elsewhere, which is why I started with no offense.
Sat 09/03/02 at 14:27
Regular
"*Plonk*"
They're not big words. Floccinauchinihilipilification is a long word. It just means that either

1) You can't cope or
2) You're uncultured or
3) You're about ten years old.

No offense, but I don't see the problem with words like 'stereotypical', 'hypothetical' or 'continuous'.
Sat 09/03/02 at 14:14
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
JCSuperStar wrote:
> Stryke wrote:

>Because you are
> JC. An idiot.

Your stereotyping me
> against the world? How Unthoughtful.

No offence but even if you put big words in your post it won't make any difference unless you use them properly. "Your stereotyping me against the world"?

Eg
I roistered in friable halycon zeitgeists of soporific smorgasbords doesn't make any sense or mean anything no matter how many big words it has.
Sat 09/03/02 at 13:32
Regular
"*Plonk*"
POP
Sat 09/03/02 at 12:45
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Stryke wrote:

>Because you are
> JC. An idiot.

Your stereotyping me against the world? How Unthoughtful.
Sat 09/03/02 at 10:34
Regular
JCSuperStar wrote:
> POP. Cos no-one is reading it.

--

Because you are JC. An idiot.
Sat 09/03/02 at 10:20
Regular
*Gaming Utopia: a fully interactive 3D gameworld where I can go anywhere and do almost anything you can think of.
*Real Life Utopia: $10,000,000 and Slash's cab [from Crazy Taxi 2].
*Fantasy Utopia: to be an immortal celestial being living in the "Elsyian Fields" [a land of eternal sunshine from Greek Myth].
Fri 08/03/02 at 22:01
Regular
"*Plonk*"
POP. Cos no-one is reading it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.