GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway: full version played"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:34
Regular
Yeah, you read right. I've got a final version of The Getaway, and I am pleased to say that it lives up to all expectations.

Graphics are not the photorealistic renders that we were promised all those years ago, but they are gorgeous. Very smooth, as fast as they need to be, with only minor (but annoying when it happens) pop-up and draw-in; certainly with the trees in the Park.

The different vehicles handle very differently, and have more "realistic" handling compared to GTA3/Vice City. By that I mean the handling is tigheter, more "grippy", yet at the same time, less forgiving. Driving a Double Decker bus is a hoot!!

"On foot" mode feels a lot like GTA3/Vice City, except when it come to battle, where it turns into MGS2! Well, not quite, but the battle element is certainly better than GTA3/Vice City.

So, there is lots of London to cover, loads of vehicles to nab, graphical gorgeousness, driving on the left...there must be something left to moan about. Well, actually there are three things:

1) Game structure. It is very, very linear, and sometimes ends up being a bit like MGS2. Watch this, play this, watch some more etc.
2) Few missions; only 24. Sure, they are sometimes split into 2 or 3 episodes, but the variety is a bit lacking.
3) No on-screen navigation. All you get (in outside view) is indicators telling you to take the next turn. This is crap, and they should have nicked GTA3/Vice City's small radar map that scales the faster/slower you go.

Apart from that, it's a damn good game. There is a free-roam mode, where you can actually get up to a lot of mischief and cause mayhem (should please the GTA3 veterans amongst us!)

Any Qs, just post away :o)
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:34
Regular
Yeah, you read right. I've got a final version of The Getaway, and I am pleased to say that it lives up to all expectations.

Graphics are not the photorealistic renders that we were promised all those years ago, but they are gorgeous. Very smooth, as fast as they need to be, with only minor (but annoying when it happens) pop-up and draw-in; certainly with the trees in the Park.

The different vehicles handle very differently, and have more "realistic" handling compared to GTA3/Vice City. By that I mean the handling is tigheter, more "grippy", yet at the same time, less forgiving. Driving a Double Decker bus is a hoot!!

"On foot" mode feels a lot like GTA3/Vice City, except when it come to battle, where it turns into MGS2! Well, not quite, but the battle element is certainly better than GTA3/Vice City.

So, there is lots of London to cover, loads of vehicles to nab, graphical gorgeousness, driving on the left...there must be something left to moan about. Well, actually there are three things:

1) Game structure. It is very, very linear, and sometimes ends up being a bit like MGS2. Watch this, play this, watch some more etc.
2) Few missions; only 24. Sure, they are sometimes split into 2 or 3 episodes, but the variety is a bit lacking.
3) No on-screen navigation. All you get (in outside view) is indicators telling you to take the next turn. This is crap, and they should have nicked GTA3/Vice City's small radar map that scales the faster/slower you go.

Apart from that, it's a damn good game. There is a free-roam mode, where you can actually get up to a lot of mischief and cause mayhem (should please the GTA3 veterans amongst us!)

Any Qs, just post away :o)
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:36
Regular
Sorry, that was in my dream!! LOL! ;o)
Mon 25/11/02 at 13:07
"cheerios"
damn u nomino for toying with people's emotions... for shame... :)
Mon 25/11/02 at 13:08
"cheerios"
in other news.... my friend has it on pirate... even showed me the disc and everything... but i didn't have my ps2 there :(
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:27
Regular
"  "
Hah! :|
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:30
Regular
Damn you! I was goin to ask where you got it from and then my hopes blew up in my face when you said you were joking.

Once again, DAMN YOU!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.