GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do DVD writers write DVDs?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/10/07 at 21:22
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Don't answer the topic title. :)

I've been having lots of computer problems recently, haven't I? Here's my most recent, if anyone can help.

I have this, some of these and some of these.

Why is it that the following occurs:

1. When no disc is inserted into the drive and I attempt to write files to a DVD using the built-in CD Writing Wizard with XP, I can start the wizard and it prompts me to insert a disc. I insert either of the two types of disc mentioned above, and the wizard tells me that it cannot continue.

2. When a disc is inserted while viewing the files waiting to be copied to the disc in Windows, the "Write these files to CD" option disappears.

3. When I use NTI DVD Maker, which is my preferred method of writing discs, all appears to work, but when it starts burning, it will only write about 500MB of data to the disc, yet the bar across the bottom of the screen which shows how much data is to be copied to the disc shows about 4GB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thang kyer!
Fri 19/10/07 at 18:52
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out.

Eccles' suggestion appears to have solved the problem, and CDWriterXP strongly resembles NIT, so I had no trouble getting used to it. Nice one!
Fri 19/10/07 at 12:54
"Are you sure?"
Twain wrote:
> Update: I uninstalled NTI and restarted the 'puter. Same
> problems occur in Windows CD Writing Wizard. Windows CD Writing
> Wizard does support DVD-Rs, doesn't it? I would have
> thought so, even if not the DL DVD+Rs.

Oops - I believe Windows can only write directly to CD you will need to use another application to burn a DVD...

NB. When installing/uninstalling different CD/DVD s/w it's not unheard of for it to mess up some Registry keys (CurrentControlSet\Control\Class) which have to be manually corrected. You'll know if you've hit the problem as you drive will become inaccessible...

I use the Roxio/Sonic s/w that came with my PC to create DVD's.
Let us know how you get on with Eccles s/w recommendation.
Fri 19/10/07 at 11:39
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hmmm... wrote:
> 2. When a disc is inserted while viewing the files waiting to
> be
> copied to the disc in Windows, the "Write these files to
> CD" option disappears.
>
> Is it just the System Tray Tool Tip? This will time out after a
> minute or so. Are the options still in the FILE menu? But also
> see the answer in 1.

In My Computer, you can double-click on the recordable drive and it will display the list of files waiting to be copied. On the left of this list, in the Task Pane, is an option to "Write these files to CD." This is the option I am referring to.

This problem and the first one don't appear to occur if I write files to a CD. It appears to only happen when writing to the DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs.

> 3. When I use NTI DVD Maker, which is my preferred method of
> writing discs, all appears to work, but when it starts burning,
> it will only write about 500MB of data to the disc, yet the bar
> across the bottom of the screen which shows how much data is to
> be copied to the disc shows about 4GB.
>
> Difficult to guess what may be going on here - not being
> familiar with 'NTI DVD Maker'. Your software looks like it
> thinks it might be writing to a CD rather than a DVD. I take it
> you've had a good look through all the options...
> Is it the same with all types of data you try to write?

By the end result (ie. what's burnt onto the DVD) it does certainly look like NTI hinks the disc is a CD. However, before burning, when the disc is inserted, it'll identify the disc. The DVD-Rs were identified correctly, but it still doesn't appear to write the 4GB of data I want to backup. It'll only write the 500MB-ish.

Also, when using one of the DL DVD+Rs, its capacity is not identified as 8.5GB like a DL DVD+R should. It is identified as a 4.7GB DVD, which leads me to believe that NTI doesn't support DL discs. But that doesn't explain why it still only writes about 500MB.

I think you're probably right in that it thinks it's writing to a CD, but when the burning is finished, it still doesn't prompt me to "Insert disc 2 to continue" when it reaches 500MB of the 4GB I want copied. That's what I'd expect it to do in this case.

I think I might have to try Eccle's idea and see how far I get with that.

Update: I uninstalled NTI and restarted the 'puter. Same problems occur in Windows CD Writing Wizard. Windows CD Writing Wizard does support DVD-Rs, doesn't it? I would have thought so, even if not the DL DVD+Rs.
Fri 19/10/07 at 10:31
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Give CD Burner XP a try. It's always worked fine on every machine I've used it on and is free. I'm not sure about the XP wizard but it does sound as though the NTI software has taken over some of the files the wizard uses. Perhaps uninstall the software and try the wizard again?
Fri 19/10/07 at 09:19
"Are you sure?"
> 1. When no disc is inserted into the drive and I attempt to
> write files to a DVD using the built-in CD Writing Wizard with
> XP, I can start the wizard and it prompts me to insert a disc. I
> insert either of the two types of disc mentioned above, and the
> wizard tells me that it cannot continue.

Quite often third party DVD/CD software will 'take over' or break the built in XP functionality. So it's a pain but quite normal.

> 2. When a disc is inserted while viewing the files waiting to be
> copied to the disc in Windows, the "Write these files to
> CD" option disappears.

Is it just the System Tray Tool Tip? This will time out after a minute or so. Are the options still in the FILE menu? But also see the answer in 1.

> 3. When I use NTI DVD Maker, which is my preferred method of
> writing discs, all appears to work, but when it starts burning,
> it will only write about 500MB of data to the disc, yet the bar
> across the bottom of the screen which shows how much data is to
> be copied to the disc shows about 4GB.

Difficult to guess what may be going on here - not being familiar with 'NTI DVD Maker'. Your software looks like it thinks it might be writing to a CD rather than a DVD. I take it you've had a good look through all the options...
Is it the same with all types of data you try to write?

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 18/10/07 at 21:22
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Don't answer the topic title. :)

I've been having lots of computer problems recently, haven't I? Here's my most recent, if anyone can help.

I have this, some of these and some of these.

Why is it that the following occurs:

1. When no disc is inserted into the drive and I attempt to write files to a DVD using the built-in CD Writing Wizard with XP, I can start the wizard and it prompts me to insert a disc. I insert either of the two types of disc mentioned above, and the wizard tells me that it cannot continue.

2. When a disc is inserted while viewing the files waiting to be copied to the disc in Windows, the "Write these files to CD" option disappears.

3. When I use NTI DVD Maker, which is my preferred method of writing discs, all appears to work, but when it starts burning, it will only write about 500MB of data to the disc, yet the bar across the bottom of the screen which shows how much data is to be copied to the disc shows about 4GB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thang kyer!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.