GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"shenmue 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:18
Regular
hey there everyone,i've just bought shenmue 2 on ebay,its due to arrive any day now,but ive never played an rpg before and im finding the prospect
exciting but also daunting! anyway,if youve played this game what advice
would you give me? any hints or tips would be grand.
is the game itself difficult and am i likley to get stuck early on?
whats yer general opinion of the game?
cheers.
Wed 27/11/02 at 21:16
Cartel Thug wrote:
> liammdg wrote:
>
> I thought I'd never get an XBox (it used to be so expensive), but it
> looks like I'll have to get one, because Shenmue 3 is coming out on
> it. Some of the other games on the XBox do look good though, so
> it's
> not too bad.
>
> I think there may be a good chance of it coming out on PS2. I want to
> play Shenmue 3 too, but I aint buying a crappy X-Box just for that!

Dunno, in terms of games, I'd say PS2 has the edge, but I think the XBox would do a better job of Shenmue 3, with its HDD and all that. I don't like supporting Microsoft's capitalist, non-compromising habits (why am I using Win 98, anyway?), but I guess if Shenmue 3's gonna be better on XBox, I might as well get one. I'll probably get it right before the release of Shenmue 3, when the price is (hopefully) lower.

Dreamcast is powered by Windows CE, BTW. Microsoft is everywhere you go.

I do hope Sega brings out Shenmue 3 on PS2 as well, though, so that it reaches a wider audience. It's too good a series to let it go to only one console.
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:59
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
liammdg wrote:

> I thought I'd never get an XBox (it used to be so expensive), but it
> looks like I'll have to get one, because Shenmue 3 is coming out on
> it. Some of the other games on the XBox do look good though, so it's
> not too bad.

I think there may be a good chance of it coming out on PS2. I want to play Shenmue 3 too, but I aint buying a crappy X-Box just for that!
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:20
One hint. At the beginning, spend ALL of your money on capsule toys. I won't tell you why, because that'd spoil it. Just trust me.

As everyone else has said, it's an astounding game and pi*ses all over most other games out ATM.

The movie of Shenmue 1 isn't very good. The display area is small, and the whole atmosphere is lost. It's also very unclear. With all due respect, it's like the people at Sega just got a few cutscenes from the original and stuck them in in any old order. My advice: play the original first.

If you're short on cash during the game, there's a lucky hit stall (gambling game) in South Carmain Quarters, which you pay HK$20 (Hong Kong Dollars) to play. The odds are 6:1, which is pretty good. Just save before you play and if you lose, you can restart. If you want to know where it is later on, I'll describe where it is in more detail.

I'm playing Shenmue 2 for the second time ATM, and it's still very interesting and gripping.

I thought I'd never get an XBox (it used to be so expensive), but it looks like I'll have to get one, because Shenmue 3 is coming out on it. Some of the other games on the XBox do look good though, so it's not too bad.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Best thing to do is just relax and enjoy the game, dont use any cheats or guides, its more fun if you dont, there's really only 1 section of the game that I remember being frusrtating(I wont tell you cos I dont wanna waste it) but it is quite a relaxing game to play, just like the original.
Tue 26/11/02 at 09:10
Regular
Yeah, like Console_Kid said, the Shenmue games are easy (in a good way). You always know roughly what to do next - it's all written down in the in-game notebook.

Just play it, take your time, explore the gameworld, do the little things, and enjoy.
Mon 25/11/02 at 17:00
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
unknown kernel wrote:
> This is not going to help you any, DC Newbie, as all I'm going to do
> is ask another question :) I just bought myself a Dreamcast off ebay
> and I quite fancy getting Shenmue 2. I've heard it's a lot better
> than the original, but am I going to understand what's going on
> without playing the first game?
>
> DC Newbie, try gamefaqs.com for some advice on the game. They have
> walkthroughs and hints for every game under the sun.

--I might as well answer both of your questions, considering I have owned Shenmue 2 since its launch in the Uk and I have pretty much played it to death.

Shenmue 2 is a better GAME than the original, but some people preferred the original because it had a more special atmousphere. The areas in Shenmue 2 are without a doubt better, the locations are absolutely massive!!! It is definitely worth getting Shenmue 2, even if you have not played the original.

For of all, you will understand what went on in the first game, because Shenmue 2 has a summary video clip showing you what went on in the original, its very well done and explains it very well. Seeing the recap of Shenmue 1 will most likely persuade you to buy it as well as Shenmue 2.

DC Newbie DO NOT GO TO GAMEFAQS FOR TIPS AND HINTS!!!!!!! IT WILL RUIN SHENMUE 2....... SHENMUE 2 IS NOT A GAME, AS EVERYOEN SAYS IT IS AN EXPERIENCE, DONT RUIN THAT BY GETTING HINTS.

Shenmue 2 is not a hard game.

By the way, Shenmue 2 is NOT a RPG, its unlike any game you have played in your life!!!!! There are no 'random battles' or anything like that because Shenmue 2 is basically you in an interactive world, living your life. Shenmue 2 is like real life, and if you have a vision of battling with swords and using magic get that out of your head straight away. In Shenmue 2, you get jobs, have street fights, investigate and question people as well as learning new moves and wandering around the massive cities.

THIS IS A MUST HAVE TITLE IF YOU OWN A DREAMCAST. ONCE YOU HAVE PLAYED THIS GAME, YOU WILL REALISE HOW GOOD THE DREAMCAST REALLY IS. SHENMUE 2 LOOKS BETTER THAN MOST PS2 GAMES OUT AT THE MOMENT.

It is hard to have expectations of this game, because as stated its soo, soo unique and somethign you wont have played before in your life. Dont check out game faqs, instead read a few reviews of it on the internet, to check out the screens and the information of what it is about.

Great, great game! You wont be disappointed.
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:27
Regular
"relocated"
This is not going to help you any, DC Newbie, as all I'm going to do is ask another question :) I just bought myself a Dreamcast off ebay and I quite fancy getting Shenmue 2. I've heard it's a lot better than the original, but am I going to understand what's going on without playing the first game?

DC Newbie, try gamefaqs.com for some advice on the game. They have walkthroughs and hints for every game under the sun.
Mon 25/11/02 at 16:18
Regular
hey there everyone,i've just bought shenmue 2 on ebay,its due to arrive any day now,but ive never played an rpg before and im finding the prospect
exciting but also daunting! anyway,if youve played this game what advice
would you give me? any hints or tips would be grand.
is the game itself difficult and am i likley to get stuck early on?
whats yer general opinion of the game?
cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.