GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PCI.....AGP???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/11/02 at 20:22
Regular
Errrr. I don't know what these mean but I know that PCI works on older PCs, but AGP is better but only works on newer PCs. I got my PC about two years ago. It was a brand new Dell back then. Does that classify as old?
Fri 06/12/02 at 12:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Miserableman wrote:
> What processor are you putting your Geforce 4 with?

Which do you mean, the GeForce 4 I have now or the one I'm going to upgrade to?
Fri 06/12/02 at 00:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
cipro wrote:
> Yeah PCI graphics cards are bit crap, I bought a GeForce 4 for my PCI
> slot a few weeks back and I can see no difference in grpahic quality
> between that card and my old GeForce 2. Naff.
>
> I've finally decided to sort it though now, I'm planning to build my
> own PC next year, and I will thankfully be getting a motherboard which
> supports AGP graphics cards. It's about bloody time as well.

What processor are you putting your Geforce 4 with?
Tue 03/12/02 at 11:37
Shuttle PC for me this Christmas.

The ultimate in style - I just have to change my processor that's all...
Tue 03/12/02 at 10:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yeah PCI graphics cards are bit crap, I bought a GeForce 4 for my PCI slot a few weeks back and I can see no difference in grpahic quality between that card and my old GeForce 2. Naff.

I've finally decided to sort it though now, I'm planning to build my own PC next year, and I will thankfully be getting a motherboard which supports AGP graphics cards. It's about bloody time as well.
Mon 02/12/02 at 22:12
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
AGP, accelerated graphics port.

Its specifically for graphics cards. Nothing more, nothing less. Meaning that AGP graphics cards will be alot better than PCI cards.

PCI slots are all sorts of things, modems and all sorts.

I have a 5year old PB with no AGP slots.. so I bought a PCI Voodoo32000.. 16mb.. which I cant really tell the difference between that and my old 4mb one.

PCI cards suck.

Your pc should have an AGP slot. Most computers that are younger than 3years old will have AGP. Should do anyways..

Blade2003, your so right there..

They have a 20Ghz cpu, just dont wanna release it yet.
Sun 01/12/02 at 17:06
DavidJ wrote:
> Errrr. I don't know what these mean but I know that PCI works on
> older PCs, but AGP is better but only works on newer PCs. I got my PC
> about two years ago. It was a brand new Dell back then. Does that
> classify as old?

I constantly find (to my continued amazement although I should be used to it by now) that the moment you buy a PC (like you buy a car) its immediately "old news" and "slow, rubbish" as the following week something far superior comes onto the market.

You know what---call me paranoid, but I can't help thinking that theres a conspiracy with all the computer manufacturers, who are sitting on an alien discovery of a super-computer, and know how to make an ideal model, but want to squeeze money out of all us dopes for the next 20 years.....by slowly releasing marginal improvements every few weeks/months/years...lol
Wed 27/11/02 at 20:17
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Thanks everyone!
Wed 27/11/02 at 16:46
In the near future (late next year), we should begin to see AGP (including the new x8 standard) being phased out by the PCI Express interface, which goes at slightly faster speeds than AGPx8. Which should translate to more convenience, and no confusing quesitons over AGP and PCI.
Wed 27/11/02 at 13:25
"You love us!"
Just for the record, when you are looking for the AGP slot in your comp, it'll be the *brown* coloured slot usually situated between the CPU socket and the row of PCI slots. Just for reference, the PCI slots are usually white.

Oh and if you haven't got a AGP slot on your Mobo, then you might want to get a new one. A PCI G card is a bad move dude. Even if you buy a decent PCI card (GeForce 4), it'll choke under the crap bandwidth of the PCI bus.
Wed 27/11/02 at 10:22
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Your Dell should have an AGP slot, usually AGP cards are cheaper than their PCI equivalents.
AGP also have 2x, 4x or even 8x data transfer rates so I would go for the AGP option if I was you.
If not, you can get a Geforce 4 PCI card nowadays but they are a bit more expensive.
Have you not got a motherboard manual ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.