GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 price rip-off"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/03/02 at 12:49
Regular
All you people who wanna moan about the price of XBox should read this and take note:

1) Buy PS2 = £200
2) You wanna save games? Splash out an extra £27 on a memory card (maybe 2, 3??)
3) 4 player games? Splash out another £30 on a multi-tap

That's it for now, but how about trying to match the XBox in terms of Hard Drive and Braodband capabilities (when SONY get round to it)?

4) Hard Drive will cost £150 I reckon, according to previous estimates.
5) Braodband adaptor (that plugs in as an ugly external add-on) will cost £20 minimum.

So, to get the general spec. of a PS2 anywhere near that of the XBox will cost you £400 at least. Now which is a rip-off?

And what do you get for your £400? A technically inferior machine with a Hard Drive and Broadband adaptor that will hardly get any support because they have to be bought as extras. The industry knows that only around 10% of console owners will buy add-ons. Therefore, developers won't take advantage of them (Mega-CD, 64DD anyone??).

With XBox, for just £300 you get hundreds of times more game-save space, 4 joypad ports built in, and the knowledge that every single developer will take advantage of the extras like Hard Drive and broadband (when the infrastructure is in place) because every single XBox owner will have them. You also get the knowledge that you have just bought the most advanced games console on the planet, and that all of the respected developers are flocking to this wonder machine.
Thu 07/03/02 at 21:34
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I remember the problems I had with the Dreamcast when playing online. It really stings when you get that kind of service but are still expected to pay the money for it.
Thu 07/03/02 at 20:06
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Yeah, I played AOE2 over a 56k and trust me - BOLLARDS. Even with the "added thrill" of playing with a mate it still didn't raise my joystick.

That was a simile and metaphor,
Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 19:59
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
viperfire1956 wrote:
> Unlike the xbox that has just a broadband adapter, the ps2 adapter supports both
> 56k and broadband so normal people who do not have broadband will still be able
> to play online games. Also the adapter plugs into the back, so to see it you
> will have to turn the ps2 around and look at the back. So it does not rearly
> make it “ugly” does it?

1) I take it you don't play many PC games on-line - 56k is simply no good. Games are jerky, connections are lost too easily, and really, it's crap. You still have to pay extra for the privilige though.

2) Yes, it does look ugly, no matter where it plugs in. It's a total after-thought on SONYs part.
Thu 07/03/02 at 16:27
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I've been stressing this in other threads but never thought of adding up the prices. For what it offers the X-Box is very reasonably priced - especially considering the PS2 was £300 at launch (which had much inferior games to the X-Box launch - apart from SSX and Timesplitters, but we have Amped and Halo etc).

People will still stick close to their PS2 as it is a household name with computer games like Dyson with vacuum cleaners. Also the games coming out or that have come out are either of especially poor quality or are coming out on the X-Box - improved.

Outlaw.
Thu 07/03/02 at 15:15
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Unlike the xbox that has just a broadband adapter, the ps2 adapter supports both 56k and broadband so normal people who do not have broadband will still be able to play online games. Also the adapter plugs into the back, so to see it you will have to turn the ps2 around and look at the back. So it does not rearly make it “ugly” does it?
Thu 07/03/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would disagree with having to own more than 1 PS2 memory card. I have 17 game saves on there and have only used up half of the card. Some saves are big like Jak And Daxter and GTA3. But most are around the 100K mark. So I would say I will be able to get at least 30 odd saves on the card.
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:49
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
All you people who wanna moan about the price of XBox should read this and take note:

1) Buy PS2 = £200
2) You wanna save games? Splash out an extra £27 on a memory card (maybe 2, 3??)
3) 4 player games? Splash out another £30 on a multi-tap

That's it for now, but how about trying to match the XBox in terms of Hard Drive and Braodband capabilities (when SONY get round to it)?

4) Hard Drive will cost £150 I reckon, according to previous estimates.
5) Braodband adaptor (that plugs in as an ugly external add-on) will cost £20 minimum.

So, to get the general spec. of a PS2 anywhere near that of the XBox will cost you £400 at least. Now which is a rip-off?

And what do you get for your £400? A technically inferior machine with a Hard Drive and Broadband adaptor that will hardly get any support because they have to be bought as extras. The industry knows that only around 10% of console owners will buy add-ons. Therefore, developers won't take advantage of them (Mega-CD, 64DD anyone??).

With XBox, for just £300 you get hundreds of times more game-save space, 4 joypad ports built in, and the knowledge that every single developer will take advantage of the extras like Hard Drive and broadband (when the infrastructure is in place) because every single XBox owner will have them. You also get the knowledge that you have just bought the most advanced games console on the planet, and that all of the respected developers are flocking to this wonder machine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.