GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to remove MSN Messenger's integration from Outlook Express"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 09:03
Regular
Found a way to do it, which might actually prompt me to reinstall the junk and use it for a change, new version any good?

Anyhow...

Click start, run, then enter regedit into the box and press enter. You'll now be in the windows registry editor, be careful you don't do anything other than what I describe below, as unless you are familiar with the windows registry you can very easily stuff your PC over.

You'll see a number of HKEY folders, click the + icon by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then proceed to do the same for each of the following subdirectories:

SOFTWARE
Microsoft

Finally, click on the "Outlook Express" folder, within the Microsoft one you've just opened,so that it highlights and displays various values on the right-hand side of the registry editor.

Look on the right-hand side for a DWORD value named "Hide Messenger", if it isn't there you will have to create it (right-click on the right-hand side window, choose new, DWORD value and type Hide Messenger (case sensitive) before clicking ok). Right-click this DWORD value, and choose modify, then making sure the decimal box is checked enter the number 2 into the value box, and click ok. You can now close regedit. Ideally you ought to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect, however they should actually take effect the next time you run outlook, you should find that it no longer starts messenger up and forces you to keep it running, and it no longer copies your messenger buddy list into your outlook address book. ;)

Values of the Hide Messenger DWORD for experienced users:

0 = Messenger integrated into Outlook
1 = Messenger integrated into Outlook but hidden
2 = Messenger removed from Outlook completely

Enjoy. ;)
Tue 26/11/02 at 23:55
"Stupid Newbie :D"
White; people want to remove it because it forces Messenger to be running everytime you check your e-mail with Outlook, it's especially apain if you have a slower system, and have to wait for both programs to start up.

It's also extremely irritating if you have automatic sign-on enabled in Messenger, and do not have the time to start chatting with people, but are merely trying to check your e-mail.

Another problem is that it forcibly adds your Messenger contacts to your address book, now i don't know about you, but my outlook account is for my gaming company business only; not for chatting with people I know over MSN. If I want to do that, I'll use my personal account, on AOL. But whenI try to remove the contacts from my address book in Outlook, it also deletes them from my contact list in Messenger, and I've lost loads of users screennames like that.

That's why people like me want to remove integration. That's why I posted this message, because I've commented on it before, and my distastefor it was shared by numerous others. ;)
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:41
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Yeh, I did this a while ago,

does the business.
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:22
Regular
Why would you want to remove it?

All it does is display my contacts in the bottom left corner.
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:20
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Excellent. Thanks.
Tue 26/11/02 at 09:03
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Found a way to do it, which might actually prompt me to reinstall the junk and use it for a change, new version any good?

Anyhow...

Click start, run, then enter regedit into the box and press enter. You'll now be in the windows registry editor, be careful you don't do anything other than what I describe below, as unless you are familiar with the windows registry you can very easily stuff your PC over.

You'll see a number of HKEY folders, click the + icon by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then proceed to do the same for each of the following subdirectories:

SOFTWARE
Microsoft

Finally, click on the "Outlook Express" folder, within the Microsoft one you've just opened,so that it highlights and displays various values on the right-hand side of the registry editor.

Look on the right-hand side for a DWORD value named "Hide Messenger", if it isn't there you will have to create it (right-click on the right-hand side window, choose new, DWORD value and type Hide Messenger (case sensitive) before clicking ok). Right-click this DWORD value, and choose modify, then making sure the decimal box is checked enter the number 2 into the value box, and click ok. You can now close regedit. Ideally you ought to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect, however they should actually take effect the next time you run outlook, you should find that it no longer starts messenger up and forces you to keep it running, and it no longer copies your messenger buddy list into your outlook address book. ;)

Values of the Hide Messenger DWORD for experienced users:

0 = Messenger integrated into Outlook
1 = Messenger integrated into Outlook but hidden
2 = Messenger removed from Outlook completely

Enjoy. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.