GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Underage Gaming?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 21:38
Regular
Now we all know that them shiny red labels that read '18' or '15' will immediately attract to a younger audience.

But what really stops people from playing these games?

We all know that the first obstacle is getting the game without the checkout bloke asking you 'Are you above 18 years of age?', which can easily be avoided by getting mommy or daddy.... *cough*... your parents to purchase the game. Simple.

So your at home enjoying a gloriously violent game, with nothing to stop you. But then I thought 'Who is meant to stop us from playing this game?' and 'How?'.

Do you get the police breaking down the door and saying 'Now Timmy, you should be playing on the Tweenies' and give you a pat on the head? Thought not. But does anyone really give a damn? After all, everyone's making a profit.

we also know that we don't go round undercover trying to shoot our family without being caught like on MGS, and we also can't turn ourselves into cartoony characters and blast a rocket launcher into a crowd of people.

So the point of this little thread is 'Who stops us from playing these games?' and 'What precautions do they take to stop us from being able to enjoy a game with a ludicrous amount of violence?
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:38
Regular
"es argh"
Now we all know that them shiny red labels that read '18' or '15' will immediately attract to a younger audience.

But what really stops people from playing these games?

We all know that the first obstacle is getting the game without the checkout bloke asking you 'Are you above 18 years of age?', which can easily be avoided by getting mommy or daddy.... *cough*... your parents to purchase the game. Simple.

So your at home enjoying a gloriously violent game, with nothing to stop you. But then I thought 'Who is meant to stop us from playing this game?' and 'How?'.

Do you get the police breaking down the door and saying 'Now Timmy, you should be playing on the Tweenies' and give you a pat on the head? Thought not. But does anyone really give a damn? After all, everyone's making a profit.

we also know that we don't go round undercover trying to shoot our family without being caught like on MGS, and we also can't turn ourselves into cartoony characters and blast a rocket launcher into a crowd of people.

So the point of this little thread is 'Who stops us from playing these games?' and 'What precautions do they take to stop us from being able to enjoy a game with a ludicrous amount of violence?
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:45
Regular
nothing stops me from playing 18 rated games...

... except SR :-)
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:47
That didnt stop REGULAR when he got GTA3 from SR. He just changed his age.
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, there is the attitude that games are just that- games. Kid's toys. Parents just don't care.

Sonic
Wed 06/03/02 at 21:51
Regular
"es argh"
Your right there Sonic
Wed 06/03/02 at 22:13
Its the strange feeling of breaking the law and getting away with it strange feeling. Human instinct gone wrong
Wed 06/03/02 at 22:48
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Who can stop young uns playing the games? No one really, fact is if you really want to play them then no one can really stop you, and you will always find a way around it if someone does.

True though, i think seeing the red 15 and 18 signs probably attracts more youngsters to the games than anything, maybe they could just stick with the elpsa or whatever that just have the small boxes ticked. This might not make much of a difference though, as any game with violence gets a big mention on the net and in mags.

And besides, even if the shops wont sell them the games, its more than easy to get them off the net if they can get there parents to buy them.
Wed 06/03/02 at 22:54
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Game shops are simply not strict enough. As you remember Natbuc done that study on some high street retailers, but it doesnt guarantee that every single EB or HMV in Britain would allow underage kids buying adult games. Independent stores especially, have hardly any regulations at all. When I got GTA3, the shop assistant didnt even look at me.

But I will stand by me previous statements and say that parnets should control their kids a bit more
Wed 06/03/02 at 23:51
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Triple_H wrote:

But I will stand by me previous statements
> and say that parnets should control their kids a bit more

True, but then you have to think that the statement that games may harm kids is true, which i thinks its not. And i dont see why young people need to be kept away from bad games, i was playing games like doom and GTA when i was younger and it never really affected me.
Thu 07/03/02 at 11:49
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Pro Evo wrote:
>i was playing games like doom and GTA when i was younger and it never really affected me.

Ah and then you chase a poor postman down the road, waving your fist in the air and shouting abusive language at him ;p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.