GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratatouille"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/10/07 at 10:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
absolutely fantastic, go and see it.

i`d say it was pixars best looking film to date. the fur-laden characters deform perfectly, the scenery and props are outstanding, everything is pretty much perfect.

theres a scene where Linguini knocks Remy into a river and jumps in after him, check out the clothing afterwards, it folds in the right places, it clings in the right places, it hangs properly, it`s just... right!

the character designs are excellent as ever, Skinner in particular really stood out for me.

it`ll take something pretty spectacular to top this, but given Pixars track record and the inevitable advances in hardware/software/rendering, i`m sure they`ll manage.

Now, aside from the things that i appreciate from a production point of view (and the fact that i get to go and see these movies under the guise of "market research" ;) ) the film in itself is also extremely good. everything is fairly obvious from the outset (as with most Pixar/Disney work) and it lets you sit back and appreciate the story unfolding. The story arc is well paced and there`s none of the incessant heartstring-tugging that distracted me so badly from Finding Nemo ("ah splendid, the 39th shot in this scene in which the eyes get wider, the mouth drops and the music gets quiet"). The running time is perfect, at no point did i find myself getting fidgety, and i`m the king of short attention spans with movies, and before i knew it the credits were rolling (and no, not just because i arrived 5 minutes into it :P ....missed the short that always precedes a pixar film because of that too, boooooo! :( )

Another nice point to note is the voice acting. Aside from Peter O`Toole and the obligatory John Ratzenberger voicing, none of the voices belonged to anyone i`m aware of to any great degree, or at least not to people with distictive voices. Ratatouille`s cast appears to be assembled to achieve the best result for the FILM, rather than the advertising. A problem i have with Dreamworks is that their films tend to rely heavily on the cast and making sure we all know which celebrity is doing what. Shark Take is awful for this, it even permeates through to the character design which does little to cement the verisimilitude and instead does more to turn the film into a PR exercise.

Anyway, i degest ( ;) ), to sum up - with tongue firmly in cheek, here are some different perspectives:

chavs - doesn`t matter, you`ll all be outside a post office instead, thinking you must be trend setters because suddenly all the staff are outside with you too.

Emo - don`t go and see it, it`s pointless, it`s ALL pointless. this film won`t understand you. go and dig out something of tim burtons (probably corpse bride) and discuss the choice of pallette over black coffee, then post about it on your myspace page. don`t forget the poem! ;)

hippies - the rats talk and you don`t have to smoke anything first, a real winner!

genuine - Ratatouille is a real achievement, both technically and in storytelling. It`ll appeal to a decent range of ages (like The Incredibles and Cars) and is simply WELL worth going to see. Can`t wait for the DVD and hopefully a special edition with lots of "making of" material that i can get stuck into :D

next on the list is Saw 4 i think, if for no other reason than to see the ever more gribbly traps on a big screen, because the story will probably be a real reach ;)

i leave you all with some subliminal greatness!
Very_Metal

[S][S]go see ratatouille[/S][/S]
Thu 25/10/07 at 11:53
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Alfonse wrote:
> Are Disney never going to make another 2D film? If not then shoot
> me now.

Great minds think alike.
Sat 20/10/07 at 12:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Despite a screaming baby in the cinema thoroughly enjoyed it! :)
Fri 19/10/07 at 17:32
Regular
No touchy!
Thu 18/10/07 at 18:02
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i don`t think so i`m afraid mate, i`m pretty sure they made motion to close their traditional animation avenues. great shame :(

i could be wrong of course, but bare in mind this is Pixar, Disney may well do another 2d film.. but i doubt it :(

they`ll never top the emperors new groove :D
Thu 18/10/07 at 17:43
Regular
Are Disney never going to make another 2D film? If not then shoot me now.
Thu 18/10/07 at 17:10
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Seeing this tomorrow, looking forward to it.
Wed 17/10/07 at 17:49
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I saw it a few months ago. I thought it was solid, it had the feeling of an old-style Disney film without the songs and i liked that it felt honest and genuine. I dont quite see why everyone is raving about it as much as they are, maybe i'm just not such a huge fan of animation.
Wed 17/10/07 at 10:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
absolutely fantastic, go and see it.

i`d say it was pixars best looking film to date. the fur-laden characters deform perfectly, the scenery and props are outstanding, everything is pretty much perfect.

theres a scene where Linguini knocks Remy into a river and jumps in after him, check out the clothing afterwards, it folds in the right places, it clings in the right places, it hangs properly, it`s just... right!

the character designs are excellent as ever, Skinner in particular really stood out for me.

it`ll take something pretty spectacular to top this, but given Pixars track record and the inevitable advances in hardware/software/rendering, i`m sure they`ll manage.

Now, aside from the things that i appreciate from a production point of view (and the fact that i get to go and see these movies under the guise of "market research" ;) ) the film in itself is also extremely good. everything is fairly obvious from the outset (as with most Pixar/Disney work) and it lets you sit back and appreciate the story unfolding. The story arc is well paced and there`s none of the incessant heartstring-tugging that distracted me so badly from Finding Nemo ("ah splendid, the 39th shot in this scene in which the eyes get wider, the mouth drops and the music gets quiet"). The running time is perfect, at no point did i find myself getting fidgety, and i`m the king of short attention spans with movies, and before i knew it the credits were rolling (and no, not just because i arrived 5 minutes into it :P ....missed the short that always precedes a pixar film because of that too, boooooo! :( )

Another nice point to note is the voice acting. Aside from Peter O`Toole and the obligatory John Ratzenberger voicing, none of the voices belonged to anyone i`m aware of to any great degree, or at least not to people with distictive voices. Ratatouille`s cast appears to be assembled to achieve the best result for the FILM, rather than the advertising. A problem i have with Dreamworks is that their films tend to rely heavily on the cast and making sure we all know which celebrity is doing what. Shark Take is awful for this, it even permeates through to the character design which does little to cement the verisimilitude and instead does more to turn the film into a PR exercise.

Anyway, i degest ( ;) ), to sum up - with tongue firmly in cheek, here are some different perspectives:

chavs - doesn`t matter, you`ll all be outside a post office instead, thinking you must be trend setters because suddenly all the staff are outside with you too.

Emo - don`t go and see it, it`s pointless, it`s ALL pointless. this film won`t understand you. go and dig out something of tim burtons (probably corpse bride) and discuss the choice of pallette over black coffee, then post about it on your myspace page. don`t forget the poem! ;)

hippies - the rats talk and you don`t have to smoke anything first, a real winner!

genuine - Ratatouille is a real achievement, both technically and in storytelling. It`ll appeal to a decent range of ages (like The Incredibles and Cars) and is simply WELL worth going to see. Can`t wait for the DVD and hopefully a special edition with lots of "making of" material that i can get stuck into :D

next on the list is Saw 4 i think, if for no other reason than to see the ever more gribbly traps on a big screen, because the story will probably be a real reach ;)

i leave you all with some subliminal greatness!
Very_Metal

[S][S]go see ratatouille[/S][/S]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.