GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Display Cases. Left behind?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
Display cases.

They carry your prized possession that you’ve just bought. It will be the “carrier” or your baby until it gets home to its mother. Your console. Now, you’d think. Seeing as you’ve just paid £40+ for a game, which probably only cost 10p to make, you’d think that the developers would be kind and spend a bit of money on the display cases? Yea? No. It seams not.

Making the game is hard and it takes money to produce and time and the right ingredients and such. However, once you’ve made the game. Things are all downhill. You just make the game and its done and dusted then you let the gaming world either tear it to shreds, or lap up every minute of it.

Display cases, at very best are not attractive. Boring dull plastic, with a boring cover. Boring.

I'm quite sick of these boring plastic cases.

For example, say.. a game like.. hm.. Half-Life.

The covering could be made out of metal walkway, or at least look like it. It could have blood splattering on the walkway. Then Half-Life on the front drawn out in blood. Hows that? Or maybe a few rubber shreds and mud covering the front, for a rally game? I'm making these up just like that, I'm sure people with talent could fix up some amazing design to catch the eye and make it attractive.

Here comes my next point.

Catching the eye. Dull boring cases. Obviously wont attract people. Unless you know a lot about the game, and the game gets huge advertising, (GTA:VC) so people know all about it. What about the games that don’t get much attention?

If they have nothing to attract the user, then nobody would look at it? Only from pure interest. But, a case with rubber, mud, blood, metal, guns, bullets on it. (Made from plastic or something :oP) would attract a huge huge huge crowd. Just to look at this case.

Next point. I don’t think that cases are very sturdy. The console ones are getting good. DVD’s cases like. Still, if fat boy jolly rodgers came along and sat on it. Things would be different. The disc inside would be cracked. Meaning ruined. Meaning you have to shell out for a new game, £40. Trouble that you don’t need.

Everything has been improved. Yet display cases have been left behind. Cases havn’t changed for decades. Now its time for a change me thinks. Somebody needs to grasp something by the throat, and just go all out. It’s a big risk, but somebody’s gotta do it..

(Maybe its me :oD)

GasMask
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:23
"+ suspicious minds"
it seems to me you have missed something. it would be extreemly unpractical to use desighns like that on a cover.

plus, a game cost near 17 to make. the retailers like woolies, jack up the price to make profit.

also, cases arn't desigyned to give considerable protection against any element, energies used against it, or fat ppl sitting on them.

:)

turk out
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Um, ok then. I bet u sit at home and stroke the cases and never play the games. Ooh this one is shiny... ahhhh
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yea, fair point/s but after the initial game is made, and everyone has been paid off, a bit of money could be put into the cases?

Think about the cases! All the same, all boring!
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
If all display cases were 'eye catching' then they would cancel each other out and have no effect. If the developers keep to generic designed there is the same effect at a smaller cost.

Puddle of Mudd (the band) did this on a special editon of their album. It was made of plastic and mad muddy water inside. It only had 1 bonus track and the Cd was about £4 more than the normal one. If you want to pay money for a case as opposed to the game then go ahead, however I msue the rest of us only use the case to maintain the game in one piece until we arrive home.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:44
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
GasMask wrote:
Seeing as you’ve just paid £40+ for a game, which probably only cost 10p to make.

...it costs that to copy the CD/DVD, they actually have quite a few expenses to pay off, considering the few hundred/thousand people it takes to make the game including, models, programmers, researchers, designers, story writers..etc, and they're not being paid peanuts.
Other than that, yeah, games are cheap :p
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
torticollis wrote:
> Do you know how expensive it would be to make rubber cases?

No, but a game that costs 10p to make, £39.90 will not be needed to make a rubber case. More like £3?

Its just to liven things up, the case world is boring.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Do you know how expensive it would be to make rubber cases? I'm sure that the developers would loe a lot of money from it, just to attract window shopping? Think about it. If someone wants a game, they'll know which one they want so the cover doesn't matter.
Tue 26/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Display cases.

They carry your prized possession that you’ve just bought. It will be the “carrier” or your baby until it gets home to its mother. Your console. Now, you’d think. Seeing as you’ve just paid £40+ for a game, which probably only cost 10p to make, you’d think that the developers would be kind and spend a bit of money on the display cases? Yea? No. It seams not.

Making the game is hard and it takes money to produce and time and the right ingredients and such. However, once you’ve made the game. Things are all downhill. You just make the game and its done and dusted then you let the gaming world either tear it to shreds, or lap up every minute of it.

Display cases, at very best are not attractive. Boring dull plastic, with a boring cover. Boring.

I'm quite sick of these boring plastic cases.

For example, say.. a game like.. hm.. Half-Life.

The covering could be made out of metal walkway, or at least look like it. It could have blood splattering on the walkway. Then Half-Life on the front drawn out in blood. Hows that? Or maybe a few rubber shreds and mud covering the front, for a rally game? I'm making these up just like that, I'm sure people with talent could fix up some amazing design to catch the eye and make it attractive.

Here comes my next point.

Catching the eye. Dull boring cases. Obviously wont attract people. Unless you know a lot about the game, and the game gets huge advertising, (GTA:VC) so people know all about it. What about the games that don’t get much attention?

If they have nothing to attract the user, then nobody would look at it? Only from pure interest. But, a case with rubber, mud, blood, metal, guns, bullets on it. (Made from plastic or something :oP) would attract a huge huge huge crowd. Just to look at this case.

Next point. I don’t think that cases are very sturdy. The console ones are getting good. DVD’s cases like. Still, if fat boy jolly rodgers came along and sat on it. Things would be different. The disc inside would be cracked. Meaning ruined. Meaning you have to shell out for a new game, £40. Trouble that you don’t need.

Everything has been improved. Yet display cases have been left behind. Cases havn’t changed for decades. Now its time for a change me thinks. Somebody needs to grasp something by the throat, and just go all out. It’s a big risk, but somebody’s gotta do it..

(Maybe its me :oD)

GasMask

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.