GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Maximo"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 15:23
Regular
Bought this at lunchtime, so haven't had the chance to play it yet.

As it's a Capcom game, I was wondering... what are the borders like?

Anyone know?
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:23
"High polygon count"
Bought this at lunchtime, so haven't had the chance to play it yet.

As it's a Capcom game, I was wondering... what are the borders like?

Anyone know?
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:25
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Being capcom im not sure what they would be like.

But would you post what you think of the game once you have had a good play on it please?

Its on my maybe list see.
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:28
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I want to know what this game is like cos it does appeal. Give us a report on it soon.
Wed 06/03/02 at 19:42
Regular
"You Bum!!"
The demo was certainly very appealing, but I am not sure that I would shell out £40 for that game when titles like Virtua Fighter 4 are just around the corner
Wed 06/03/02 at 20:01
Regular
I'm looking forward to Deus Ex.
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:08
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
Maximo Rocks! Easily the best platformer on PS2!
I chose it as my GAD a while back (cheers SR)
Oh, and don't worry about the borders, there aren't any!!!
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Bought this at lunchtime, so haven't had the chance to play it yet.

As it's a
> Capcom game, I was wondering... what are the borders like?

Anyone know?

No 60Hz option, but it is a good conversion.

Maximo is fantastic! The gameplay mechanics for some bizarre reason, feel old-school to me. It puts up a challenge that's for sure.
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:16
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Whats the best Platformer?

Crash Bandicoot
Jak & Dexter
Maximo
Herdy Gerdy

or any others?
if so why?

I wanna get a platformer but can't decide which to get
im looking for a Zelda type platformer for the PS 2.

Also is there anythng like the old PC game Contra
on the PS 2?
Thu 07/03/02 at 12:19
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I'd personally choose Maximo and Jak & Daxter from that list. Both would provide you with hours of fun.

As for your Zelda request. Zelda is an RPG really, not much of a platformer. But if it's RPG's your interested in, I believe Grandia 2 is out quite soon on the PS2, which isn't bad.

Not to sure what else is out there though man.
Thu 07/03/02 at 13:22
"High polygon count"
Yup, Maximo is a gret game - I can vouch for that now!

And what on earth has got into Capcom? A GOOD PAL conversion - no 60Hz or Widescreen options, but there are virtually no borders to speak of!

Controls are great - easy to pick up. And the game is much more of a challenge than Jak & Daxter. There are more attacking moves, and it's possible to guard against enemy attacks. Characters a large, crisp, bright, well-defined and have a great cartoon feel to them. Graphics throughout are hi-res and virtually jaggie-free.

The game is much more tactical than Jak & Daxter. You have a Life bar, Armour, AND a shield, which get depleted when used or when you are struck by an enemy.

You are also able to power-up both your sword (as in Onimusha) AND your abilities (as in Devil May Cry). You can gain a number of personal abilities, BUT - here's the strategy element - only THREE of these abilities are kept when you save the game... so you do have to put some thought into it.

As with J&D, you get a rating for each level - and you can go back and re-try any level at any time, to increase your score. There are also various tasks you can undertake during the game to unlock more secrets.

As you know, Capcom games are usually always very playable, and it's no different here. What really sets this apart though, in my view, is that they've actually taken some time and done a proper PAL conversion. There is hope for the future of Capcom's PS2 games after all!

If you enjoyed J&D, you really can't go wrong with Maximo - buy it now!

http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review.php?index=1014826828&af=

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.