GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pro Evo name changes - WHY"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro evolution soccer 2'.
Wed 27/11/02 at 20:44
Regular
Pro Evo 2 the daddy of the football games.
One fatal flaw.

I pre ordered my copy of PE2 at SR and as soon as I got home put it on and feel in love with it. The opening video realy looked brilliant and the actual game did more than enough to keep me stuck to the sofa for a good few hours non-stop. However after many weeks of playing I still get completly confused when playing against or as Holland. Surely it would have been easier just to change the names E.G. DOVIDS instead of Davids if anyone out there has a geniuine reason why the entire team were called Oranges I would like to know.

Also I was flicking through the new SR catalogue and I was gutted to see that cheat CD's were being sold for another £9.99 so you can change the names which many of the lazy among us including me will by. They are actually making money out of not having the official license.

Gib
Fri 29/11/02 at 11:01
"Darkness, always"
Untitled wrote:
> this is why i think iss is crap, the meanes are a joke, if ur a fan
> of football u wanna play with your team and your players not people
> like Roberto Larcos, and bryan riggs,

Haven't played ISS2 then?
Thu 28/11/02 at 23:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Get the update disk and it changes the names of players and teams for you.
Or look them up on the web and change them yourselfs.

End of the day its the gameplay and looks that matter with any football game and PES2 is hard to beat in those areas.
Thu 28/11/02 at 23:38
Regular
Right straight off the bat, the game has theese names for legal reasons.

1) Ronald and Frank De Boer sued the FifPro license for selling their likeness and namesake and won, therefore no Dutch players likenesses or namesakes are used iin the game, it would be an infringement of copyright.

2) The same copyright laws prevent the game from using proper club team names too, as these are trademarks and are owned by the clubs themselves. The closest you would get is to using the name or area the club is from, hence why Manchester can be called so, well when you unlock the option in PES2 to change their names anyway.
Thu 28/11/02 at 18:26
Regular
Load up your old PES option file on the relevent place in the PES2 menu. And if by magic, all the dutch player names are sorted. And that will be permantely saved on your PES2 option file.
Thu 28/11/02 at 17:56
Regular
"aliens exist"
this is why i think iss is crap, the meanes are a joke, if ur a fan of football u wanna play with your team and your players not people like Roberto Larcos, and bryan riggs,

also if the iss realism was mixed with the fifa graphics and presentation u would have the best of both worlds
Thu 28/11/02 at 17:51
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The fact that they proudly claim to have over 40 league teams, then call them London or Madrid, takes the liquid excretion. The game has actually taken a step backwards in this respect and I can't even play as my beloved West Ham. Plus I hate it when I have to unlock stuff, it's my game, I paid for it, give me everything from the start please.

However IB is correct as Oranges are not the only fruit.
Thu 28/11/02 at 17:03
"Darkness, always"
Does it matter what the players are called?

Does it matter what the teams are called?

If the answer is "yes", buy a different game.
Thu 28/11/02 at 16:44
Regular
"Spanish Hardcore"
POP

did this because no-one replied.

Damn it I just have.
Wed 27/11/02 at 20:44
Pro Evo 2 the daddy of the football games.
One fatal flaw.

I pre ordered my copy of PE2 at SR and as soon as I got home put it on and feel in love with it. The opening video realy looked brilliant and the actual game did more than enough to keep me stuck to the sofa for a good few hours non-stop. However after many weeks of playing I still get completly confused when playing against or as Holland. Surely it would have been easier just to change the names E.G. DOVIDS instead of Davids if anyone out there has a geniuine reason why the entire team were called Oranges I would like to know.

Also I was flicking through the new SR catalogue and I was gutted to see that cheat CD's were being sold for another £9.99 so you can change the names which many of the lazy among us including me will by. They are actually making money out of not having the official license.

Gib

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.