GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming cliches"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 10:37
Regular
I don't know about you, but I'm starting to notice vague similarities between a lot of games published nowadays, particularly in the FPS genre. I've got a horrible suspicion
that games developers are copying each other now, rather than creating unique ideas of their own. I've listed a couple below.

1) A misplaced desire for realism

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of a game being realistic. It's just that some games take realism too far in one direction, whilst ignoring the rest of the game. The
prime miscreant in this case is Red Faction. So much time was spent on hyping up the geo-mod capabilities of the engine that the rest of the game was, quite simply, poor.
Or at least, not as good as it could have been. Obviously, the two most successful games - for creating a believable environment - of recent years have been Half-Life and
Deus Ex. This is because the developers wanted to create an entire world in which the player could immerse him/herself. Yet both games had elements which were completely unrealistic (i.e. Half-life's laser guns and Deus Ex's augmentation system). The ideal 'realism' in a game would be a coherent, believable environment in which any events
that do occur look and feel real (Red Faction's animations and weapons, for example, looked as though they had been created in a rush at the last minute).

2) Sniper rifles

I love sniper rifles. I think they are one of the classiest ways to kill people. However, games developers have realised the love of sniping that some people have, and have
started putting sniper rifles in to every game they create. And they are hopelessly unbalanced.
One-hit-kill weapons are justified in a game - if they are suitably challenging to use. Quake III's railgun for example, is a real challenge to use in a hectic deathmatch, but Counter-strike's AWP was unnecessarily powerful. Red Faction had sniper rifles. They were rubbish, and looked as though they were there simply because the developers had run out of ideas for other weapons.
The best sniper rifle I have seen for a long time is the rifle in Serious Sam 2. It is a complete mockery of what we have come to expect from rifles in games. We want to
be able to hide in the shadows, picking off our targets silently. The SS2 rifle is one of the loudest guns in the game, and causes most enemies to disappear in a shower of
blood/feathers/scales. It's sheer entertainment, but it should be meted out with care, and not chucked in to an unsuitable game simply because 'people like that kind of
thing'.

3) A desire to trade from a licence.

Not really FPS-related, but still a major problem (as far as I'm concerned) in computer gaming. This is the height of laziness for games designers - they are given a basic
concept and told to recreate the environment of their concept source. For example, the 'Big Brother' games. No 'gamer' in their right mind would spend any money based on a game of a poor television series, but the game publishers aren't aiming at actual gamers. No, they're aiming at people who don't know better. Big Brother had appalling reviews everywhere, and it still made the Top-20 in the UK. It's like the game of 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?'. Why not buy the book of questions? It's
£25 cheaper, and won't ever crash on you!
Bear in mind, though, that some film licences are perfect for games, and vice versa. The number of Star Wars/Trek games available proves this. Most of Lucasarts Star
Wars games are superb (if we don't mention Force Commander), because they had a high-quality concept, and the game designers were given a limited amount of freedom
when it came to what they wanted to do. They could create entirely new parts of the Star Wars universe (i.e. Jedi Knight and X-Wing Alliance). The designers of 'Family
Fortunes', however, were stuck with a very rigid framework of rules and specifications, and consequently finished with a very poor game.

4) Government Agents dressed in black

When these guys made their first famous appearance in Half-Life as those psycho ninja dudes, they were original and reasonably threatening. However, since then, at
least one government agent (and they always seem to be wearing either a black suit) has a cameo in every game under the sun. Deus Ex had those guys in black suits and
shades. State of Emergency - those guys were straight out of Men In Black. Men In Black was a game all about them, for goodness’ sake! Even the spies in Red Alert had
suits. Surely a spy should at least try to hide himself in his surroundings? Nowadays, whenever I see a guy in suit attack me, I know that he is either working for the
government or some highly secretive corporation (i.e. the Aesir guys in Max Payne). It’s depressing, and makes the game feel less original.

5) Government building lobbies with metal detectors and pillars down the sides

My final gripe is something that is really starting to bug me. I saw it first in Max Payne (which was an obvious tribute to *that* film). Then I realised that the same
thing was used in countless mods all over the place. Half-life’s high quality mod ‘Redemption’ had one scene where you walk in to a room with pillars on both sides,
while marines come through the glass roof and spread out to hide behind the pillars. I could almost hear a terse voice shout “Freeze!”. I appreciate that the government
lobby scene in the film was a superb piece of cinema, but can games designers please realise that the tribute has been paid. They can stop now. Now, when I see that room
layout, I think “Oh, God, not again”. It is pure action but it has been done to death.

Please please please think of something original.

Thanks for listening - that was the longest (and most draining) post I’ve written yet. If you can think of any more ideas that are overused in gaming, I’d really appreciate your input.
Thu 07/03/02 at 13:11
Regular
"relocated"
I'd have to agree that some elements of gameplay are becoming as cliched as game 'plots' always have been. There's a very funny (and huge) list of rpg cliches at http://guardian.simplenet.com/text/rpg.html but I get the feeling that one for FPSs can't be far off.

Your point about sniper rifles is a good one. They're great fun but unless the game is properly designed then they prove too powerful. It can be too easy just to pick off your enemies at leisure and then saunter through a level unchallenged. Unless there is an element of pressure (a time or strict ammo limit, or your first shot alerting the enemy en masse) then the sniper rifle becomes pretty pointless. GTA3 managed both good and uses of the weapon: there's a great mission where you have to take out a whole tower block full of your enemies, who are simultaneously shooting at you; but then there are missions where taking a good vantage point can allow you to take out the unreacting enemy one-by-one - unrealistic and not very satisfying.
Thu 07/03/02 at 10:18
Regular
good post
Thu 07/03/02 at 09:20
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
½pint wrote:

Have you ever seen a game, other
> than Half Life, with a left handed hero? Exactly.

Did Half-life use a left-handed view? I thought it was an optional thing...
Wed 06/03/02 at 22:52
Hitman: Codename 47 has some of the worst placed cutscenes in history. In my experience they tend to come right in the middle of a gunfight (or some other equally bad time) and by the end of them you are dead.

Are there any other games like this?
Wed 06/03/02 at 17:15
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I just want to defend RPG cut scenes.

I think, if placed correctly, they can really help a game

But MGS2 uses them a bit too much, apparently :)
Wed 06/03/02 at 16:19
Regular
"¬_¬"
Gun must be placed on right side of screen:

Have you ever seen a game, other than Half Life, with a left handed hero? Exactly.

Many game magazines do this sort of 'feature' (space filler). I remember a good one about a year ago which had loads, and there was a feature also in PSM2 I think. Hmmph.
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:29
"I hate that!!!"
Small Frog wrote:
> I know what you're saying about scenery. It's like they just can't be bothered
> any more.

*sigh*

I'm all depressed now...

Yeah!

And the Pop up in Vrally was terrible!
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:16
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I know what you're saying about scenery. It's like they just can't be bothered any more.

*sigh*

I'm all depressed now...
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Small Frog wrote:
If you can think of any more ideas that are overused in gaming, I’d really appreciate your input.

Characters:

The fat guy always gets the slow car.
The skinny guy is always evil.
The females are 99% of the time top heavy in a grotesque and yet strangely comforting manner.
Lara Croft has been wearing the same shorts for 6 years.

Collectibles:

You never get the rocket launcher from the start of the game do you? It's always hidden somewhere.
Mechs/Cars/Infantry/Aeroplanes/Spaceships: you never get a top of the range model first, you have to build up to it.

Cut Scenes in RPGs:

It's about time they thought of another way of moving the story along instead of feeding you a beautiful piece of animation.

Bemani:

Why do they have graphics in Bemani games? You're so busy concentrating on the next sequence of buttons to push that you just haven't got time to watch what else is going on.

Gore:

Why do people in Unreal Tourament, Quake, Half-Life etc have to fall into little chunks when you hit them with a guided missile? Surely they'd fry a bit, and have bits dangling off them, not neat little lumps scattered about the floor.

Dead Bodies:

Why do they disappear?
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:15
"I hate that!!!"
I tend to agree with you there Small frog.

Games developers tend to copy ideas from other games.

Vrally99 for the N64 is virtually a copy of Sega rally.
Both games were great but there were to many similarities.
The cars for example.

The cars were almost identicall in both games.

The scenery in Vrally is somewhat similar to Sega rally.

Games these days are all too alike for my likeing.

All RPG games have virtually the same layouts.

I agree completely with smallforg.
Nice post

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.