GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Photoshop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 00:39
Regular
So i was looking at some of the short courses my uni is running this summer, thought 'Photoshop for Artists' sounded like it could be pretty useful.

Problem - when i bought my second hand pc, photoshop was sitting there happily, waiting to be toyed around with. No disk or anything though. Then the hard drive needs reformatting, and all is lost. I look to the adobe website to replace it. Almost £600! Now, i had this problem with flash 5, looked great, but *way* out of my price range. Still, the capabilities of flash 5 made it understandable. Surely you can't do anything like as much with photoshop?

So is there any (legal) way to get hold of it cheaper? Or something in a sensible price range that can do the same kinds of things (like swish is to flash)?

Thanks, DD
Wed 06/03/02 at 16:21
Regular
Ah, great stuff. Pugh can get the cut down one to me for a bit over £50, including the postage and vat.

Need to sort out my graphics card and ram before i could use it, but i'm definitely up for that.

Thanks everyone, for your help - especially brio, for directing me to the store : )
Wed 06/03/02 at 09:56
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
Dr. Duck wrote:
> So i was looking at some of the short courses my uni is running this summer,
> thought 'Photoshop for Artists' sounded like it could be pretty
> useful.

Problem - when i bought my second hand pc, photoshop was sitting
> there happily, waiting to be toyed around with. No disk or anything though. Then
> the hard drive needs reformatting, and all is lost. I look to the adobe website
> to replace it. Almost £600! Now, i had this problem with flash 5, looked
> great, but *way* out of my price range. Still, the capabilities of flash 5 made
> it understandable. Surely you can't do anything like as much with
> photoshop?

So is there any (legal) way to get hold of it cheaper? Or
> something in a sensible price range that can do the same kinds of things (like
> swish is to flash)?

Thanks, DD

I have the LE version of photoshop (cut down photoshop 5) and it is really good, and only cost me 90quid. You do miss a few features, but very little, and the 500quid saving is worth it, in my opinion - atleast til you know you *really* want the program.

oh yeah, somebody mentioned student discounts - if you go to www.pugh.co.uk and select adobe from the pull down menu it'll give you pricing details. There are some terms you have to meet though - must be studying on a course that gives a recognised qualification amongst other things. if you can get it, it saves a lot of cash!
Wed 06/03/02 at 09:03
Regular
"Acid Casual"
No .psd files cannot be viewed directly in a browser, even with Acrobat reader installed. Even if they could be its not advisable cos the file size tends to be very large.

Stick with your Gifs and Jpegs.
Wed 06/03/02 at 08:35
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I've been using Flash for a couple of moneths now, and Swish doesn't compare, I gues I havn't given it much time, but if you can get the proper version, it's much, much better.

also can you put photshop files (.psd) on the net and can they be viewed by any user? or do I have to convert them to .jpg or .gif for them to be viewed? or.....do the users have to have an Adobe reader installed on their pc?
Wed 06/03/02 at 08:00
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Try Photoshop LE (It's the home user edition, still looks and feels the same, but some functions have been removed so much cheaper!)...

Photoshop is expensive because of it's Power and ability, nothing comes close when editing photographic imagery.. hence why it's the Industry Standard App!!... I've been using it for over 6 years now and it still amazes me what it can do when it comes to calculating changes and effects on images...
Wed 06/03/02 at 00:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, Paint Shop Pro is usually compared to Photoshop but you couldn't take that course with it. You may also find it more restrictive.

As a student you can get student allowance copies of it if you've got a "I'm a skint undergrad, give me free stuff" cards. Not sure how you would go about getting it though, although I definitely know the do student allowances.
Wed 06/03/02 at 00:39
Regular
So i was looking at some of the short courses my uni is running this summer, thought 'Photoshop for Artists' sounded like it could be pretty useful.

Problem - when i bought my second hand pc, photoshop was sitting there happily, waiting to be toyed around with. No disk or anything though. Then the hard drive needs reformatting, and all is lost. I look to the adobe website to replace it. Almost £600! Now, i had this problem with flash 5, looked great, but *way* out of my price range. Still, the capabilities of flash 5 made it understandable. Surely you can't do anything like as much with photoshop?

So is there any (legal) way to get hold of it cheaper? Or something in a sensible price range that can do the same kinds of things (like swish is to flash)?

Thanks, DD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.