GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My DVD drives stopped playing DVD's..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/03/02 at 21:12
Regular
If I can call upon your combined technological know-how again, could anoyone suggest why my DVD drive has stopped playing films?

Here's the background:
My hard-disk got formatted in a freak accident and so I gutted the computer it was in and put all the various components into a newer 800Mhz PC. These components included my faithful DVD drive, which had worked fine before.

I got this new system up and running with Windows XP and set about installing all the various programs and drivers and got everything to work. Unfortunately despite installing the DVD playing software several times, I am still unable to watch the damn things, both on the ATI player and Windows Media player.

This makes me think it could be a hardware problem because I used to have a TV card in the old PC that I didn't move across (assuming it was just a TV card). Is it possible that this card was acting as an MPEG decoder, such as was required on older DVD drives?

Alternatively it could be a drivers problem as the Interactual program that came on my Shrek DVD (child at heart) says that my "DVD navigator" was not detected. I have no idea what this is, but this could also be a problem...

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
cheers
Tue 12/03/02 at 17:10
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
On top of Wookiee's question, what DVD-playing software do you have?
Tue 12/03/02 at 17:07
"High polygon count"
What make & model of DVD drive do you have, exactly?
Tue 05/03/02 at 22:38
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Are there any updates for your DVD player from the manufactuers site?

I was considerering getting XP but I downloaded this thing from microsoft that says how compatible your PC is. It came up with a whole list of things that XP wouldn't work with in my PC, including the DVD drive.

Its always best to get the latest drivers, not just what comes with XP.
Tue 05/03/02 at 22:33
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I didn't download them off any site - I just assume Windows XP has selected the relevant drivers for it. Windows detects it as a DVD drive, and reads the titles of the DVD's I put in it. It just refuses to play the things.
Tue 05/03/02 at 22:27
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Are you sure your drivers are compatible with Windows XP?

There are a lot of incompatiblity problems when using XP, one of the main ones is drivers. Does the website you downloaded them from actually say they are XP compatible?
Tue 05/03/02 at 22:17
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The cables are definitely all in place - the drive still plays cds and can be used to copy them from.

When I run the ATI player I get the following message:

"Failed to load DVD drivers - ensure correct DVD drivers have been installed and close any applications which may be playing video before attempting to restart the player."

Windows media player does the following:
"Entry point not found - the procedure entry point ThunkConnect32 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

(That's all gibberish to me"
Tue 05/03/02 at 22:07
Regular
A few things,

do you have all cables pluged into the drive properly, aslo i doupt you need a decoder card as you are useing the ati software whcih makes me assume that this is the software that comes with your video card, if so then this would suggest that your ati card supports dvd playback, fist of all try a differant software like POWERDVD this is a software compatible decoder.

What error messages come up when you try to run a dvd?

c.b.
Tue 05/03/02 at 21:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If I can call upon your combined technological know-how again, could anoyone suggest why my DVD drive has stopped playing films?

Here's the background:
My hard-disk got formatted in a freak accident and so I gutted the computer it was in and put all the various components into a newer 800Mhz PC. These components included my faithful DVD drive, which had worked fine before.

I got this new system up and running with Windows XP and set about installing all the various programs and drivers and got everything to work. Unfortunately despite installing the DVD playing software several times, I am still unable to watch the damn things, both on the ATI player and Windows Media player.

This makes me think it could be a hardware problem because I used to have a TV card in the old PC that I didn't move across (assuming it was just a TV card). Is it possible that this card was acting as an MPEG decoder, such as was required on older DVD drives?

Alternatively it could be a drivers problem as the Interactual program that came on my Shrek DVD (child at heart) says that my "DVD navigator" was not detected. I have no idea what this is, but this could also be a problem...

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.