GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It Was Different"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/11/02 at 20:00
Regular
I can hear you all thinking that this will be another topic from er-no in which he complains about games not being as good as they were ten years ago.

*checks calender*

Nope, that post is next week.

When I was younger I didn't look to anybodies opinion but my own for what games ruled and what games didn't. Infact, I never brought my own game and everything I threw into the Nintendo Entertainment System was through the choice of my mother. I remember one of the games which I seriously couldn't complete TimeWarp on the NES, I was only about four but that game was just incredibly difficult for me. I am going to rig up the NES and give that another go tonight. Anyways, I shall move onto my point...

*draws a circle on a piece of paper and labels it 'point'*

Everyone including me seems to be complaining that gaming is not what it used to be, or games just aren't the same. When really, if you open your eyes, you still have access to the games you loved and you can still go back and play them. I reckon most of you will have many games collecting dust somewhere in the attic and you moan that the game you brought is nowhere near as good as it.

Go upstairs soon, bring it down and play it. See if you are right. In life, we seem to only really reflect on the good and bad things, normally memories of games are good. If someone were to ask me now my opinion on many of the NES games I would reel of words like 'superb' and 'addictive'. If you were to ask me an opinion on most of the GameCube games I wouldn't give the same answer, but leave it ten years and I think I would say 'superb'.

Hmm, that probably just made you confused. Erm...

*draws many arrows on the same piece of paper and labels one 'new approach'*

The games industry has grown hugely since 1990. Infact, its now predicted to become the largest entertainment industry in the world. Which is rather.. erm.. large :D This change has resulted in games becoming a more quantity over quality issue, rather like the surronding industries e.g. film and music.

Entertainment is about you choosing what you like and if thats a rarity you have to wait for it. When I young I didn't get to choose but I had random games brought for me and to be truthful I only really liked a few, just like with the GameCube I only like a few.

You wait for a great film to be released on DVD.
I think its about time we accepted we need to wait for the next greatest game. It will arrive. Tommorrow?

*scribbles on the page and draws Metroid*

Thanks for reading.
Fri 29/11/02 at 15:54
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I've got Super Metroid complete with big box and 72 page players guide but I'm afraid it's not for sale. Have a butchers at ebay - if you're prepared to pay over the odds then use www.auctionsniper.com to place a last second bid - you'll always get the item!

I want to get Prince of Persia for my SNES. One of my favourite non-Mario platforms games.
Fri 29/11/02 at 15:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I dug-up my old SNES over the summer and started playing through all the games on Super Mario All-Stars. Such a different experience compared to now - everything was so-much-simpler, and it was still addictive while fun to play. I love those classic Mario tunes...

I don't know why but I prefer those games to both Mario 64 AND Mario SunShine... Especially Mario World!

I still want to get a few SNES games I never got before (because of my parents buying all my games for me back then), including; Donkey Kong Country 3 and Super Metroid.
Fri 29/11/02 at 11:30
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I've got a good setup with my consoles. I have two tvs in my room. One is hooked up to my GC and Dreamcast. The other is linked up to all my "retro" consoles. An NES, a SNES a Megadrive, an N64 and a PS1. So I regularly switch between different games/consoles in order to get that nostalgic "flavour". I've just had a blast on Megaman for the NES and was suprised at how difficult it was! Ahh..the good old days! When I first got my NES I used to pretend to go to bed, then wake up in the middle of the night to play it!
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:11
Regular
"everyone says it"
Celda.
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:07
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Really I was told it was Zleda
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:03
Regular
"everyone says it"
Starlight wrote:
>
> Still games are good now, I'm just waiting for that blockbuster of a
> game to really suck me in so I don't go to sleep all night and just
> play.

They call it Metriod.
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:00
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
But games were better in the old days, more emphasis on gameplay rather than cutting edge graphics.

Compare Mario 64 to Mario Sunshine (I'm betting no everyone will agree with me on this)

Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart 64

FF7 to FF whatever..

etc etc

Still games are good now, I'm just waiting for that blockbuster of a game to really suck me in so I don't go to sleep all night and just play.
Thu 28/11/02 at 20:57
Regular
I know, I know. I was just trying to twist it a bit!
Thu 28/11/02 at 20:56
Regular
"everyone says it"
ellisuk wrote:
> er-no wrote:
>
> *scribbles on the page and draws Metroid*
>
>
> Lol, that isn't going to happen tomorrow. Unfortunately you'll have to
> wait until March or get it on import. The bad news is, so will I. Darn
> it!

Dude, the 'tommorrow' thing was in reference to a quote 'Tommorrow never arrives'. Heh
Thu 28/11/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
OOH, I'm getting metroid for my GAD prize.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.