GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rules for reviews...."

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/07/13 at 17:01
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
...Again!

UNACCEPTABLE...

1) Three lines about how "grate dis game iz, u shud by it"

2) Blatantly copying and pasting someone else's review from another site.

3) Badly editing someone else's review from another site to make it look like your own.

ACCEPTABLE...

1) A considered, well thought out appraisal of a game, including opinion on controls, graphics, gameplay, sound, storyline etc.

2) Your OWN opinions, NOT someone else's...

I'm not really sure where this is difficult to understand. If you've played the game that you intend to review, then surely you have formed an opinion of it? Why on earth do you need to copy opinion from elsewhere?

And to be entirely clear...

NONE of the UNACCEPTABLE methods will EVER win a prize...
Mon 22/07/13 at 17:01
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
...Again!

UNACCEPTABLE...

1) Three lines about how "grate dis game iz, u shud by it"

2) Blatantly copying and pasting someone else's review from another site.

3) Badly editing someone else's review from another site to make it look like your own.

ACCEPTABLE...

1) A considered, well thought out appraisal of a game, including opinion on controls, graphics, gameplay, sound, storyline etc.

2) Your OWN opinions, NOT someone else's...

I'm not really sure where this is difficult to understand. If you've played the game that you intend to review, then surely you have formed an opinion of it? Why on earth do you need to copy opinion from elsewhere?

And to be entirely clear...

NONE of the UNACCEPTABLE methods will EVER win a prize...
Mon 22/07/13 at 17:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just need to re-post this at the start of every school holiday :)
Mon 22/07/13 at 17:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
I really think a word count should be implemented solely on the review forum, when creating a new thread (obviously not for posts!)

Yes, quantity doesn't equal quality. But in the same respect, there's certainly a limit as to how little you can get away with writing. I don't think you can fully explain a game in say less than 500 words, so a word count could do wonders for permanently getting rid of the dreaded one-liners that have plagued the forum for years.

Not sure how easy it would be to implement into the forum, but a suggestion nonetheless.

It's appreciated for posting this though :-)
Mon 22/07/13 at 18:34
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
I really think a word count should be implemented solely on the review forum, when creating a new thread (obviously not for posts!)

Yes, quantity doesn't equal quality. But in the same respect, there's certainly a limit as to how little you can get away with writing. I don't think you can fully explain a game in say less than 500 words, so a word count could do wonders for permanently getting rid of the dreaded one-liners that have plagued the forum for years.

Not sure how easy it would be to implement into the forum, but a suggestion nonetheless.

It's appreciated for posting this though :-)

I really wouldn't object to a three- hundred word review, providing those three hundred words weren't txt spk m8...

...and providing that I couldn't be guaranteed of finding that exact combination of words printed elsewhere on another site...

Not sure a word count is strictly what we need (although it would eliminate the three- liners, granted) but it does seem we need to do something. My concern is that if we impose a word limit, we then just get more ripped off reviews instead.
Mon 22/07/13 at 18:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
I honestly don't think that if a word count was brought in, that copied reviews would necessarily increase. Most people who submit inappropriate reviews seems to either 'text speak' with one liners or copy reviews. It's not often you get somebody trying both (like recently). Most tend to submit reviews several times and never return.

The only real way to get rid of plagiarised reviews is manually, and I don't mind continuing marking those that need to be removed (that's my role right?! ;-D Pete and DL help out with that to).

But I think it's worth trying to have an automated measure in place to at least knock one-liners on the head for good.
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:04
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
I honestly don't think that if a word count was brought in, that copied reviews would necessarily increase. Most people who submit inappropriate reviews seems to either 'text speak' with one liners or copy reviews. It's not often you get somebody trying both (like recently). Most tend to submit reviews several times and never return.

The only real way to get rid of plagiarised reviews is manually, and I don't mind continuing marking those that need to be removed (that's my role right?! ;-D Pete and DL help out with that to).

But I think it's worth trying to have an automated measure in place to at least knock one-liners on the head for good.

Might see what our programmers say then..
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
Much appreciated chas, will be at least interesting to see what happens, but I do think it's going to be very good for the forum.
Mon 22/07/13 at 20:06
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Much appreciated chas, will be [i]at least interesting to see what happens, but I do think it's going to be very good for the forum.[/i]

Don't blame me if you end up wading through "300 wdz tellin u bout anuva gr8 game" though....
Mon 22/07/13 at 20:35
Regular
"How Ironic"
As long as people have to start putting effort it, I don't mind deleting text-talk reviews. It's just annoying when it takes me longer to delete them than it takes them to write them!

I'll take full responsibility for this call ;-D
Mon 22/07/13 at 22:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
... and me and me m8 pete r still ere ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.