GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 3 (Yet another Review) (XBOX360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 3'.
Fri 12/10/07 at 12:05
"possibly impossible"
Depending on what you read, it’s either very surprising that Halo 3 has had any criticism at all, or it’s a disappointing 3rd entry into a downwardly spiralling trilogy.

The fact that the game is the single biggest selling game of the last 10 years, let alone this year, is testament to both the hype surrounding it and the Halo name, first made famous by the game which really kick-started sales of the original Xbox. But hype can be a dangerous thing, it can set a game up on a pedestal before it’s even released, then the game itself becomes somewhat of an anticlimax.

But here we have a game which many thought would meet or even exceed the hype, Halo 3 was the First Person Shooter that would show them all how it’s done. And here we have another problem. The world of console gaming (and PC gaming, even more so) is filled to the brim with FPS game. Sure, the Halo series has always been one of the better examples, but there are so many to choose from and so many gimmicks to get you to buy yet another one that it has some tough competition.

CONTROL: 9/10
Compared to a PC, there are those that will never get used to a gamepad to control a shooter. That said, there are those that swear by this control method. Depending on which side you sit, the impact of the game will be greatly affected. For those of us who are used to gamepads, the controls are pretty easy to get used to and even improve over Halo 2 with a much easier system of picking up and dual wielding weapons.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
Graphics aren’t quite as good as they could be. Look at Bioshock, even Gears of War, and you’ll see a difference in quality to Halo 3. That said, it’s only really noticeable in High Definition. I’ve been playing all three of these via a VGA monitor displaying at 1080p quality and it’s here that you notice Halo 3’s shortfalls. That said, the graphics are vastly better than Halo 2, even with the enhancements that the Xbox360 brings to the old Xbox game, and they more than meet the needs of the game. It’s just a case of being spoilt, perhaps, by other games.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
‘How can I justify a 10 here without seeming biased?’ I hear you ask. Well, it’s a difficult decision. The problem is that this game is a game of two halves, to borrow a football analogy. The single player game plays so fluidly with a great (if slightly confusing) storyline being strung out via cut-scenes. Enemies are given far better AI than previous games and it has levels suitable for everyone from beginners to hardened experts, all providing a challenge suitable for the player. So few games have this option any more.

The multi-player game is a wonder in itself, but, as with any online game, this relies on you having a good connection. The online 4 player co-op mode is inspired and great fun with the headsets on, where as the multiplayer modes are vast and well thought out, but it’s the Forge that sets it apart from other games. What could have been really messy, a game whereby anyone can dip out and move items around the map or create new ones, becomes something fresh and original and highly playable. Kudos to the programming team for coming up with this new idea.

SOUND 9/10
I never really know what to write about sound in these reviews. If everything sounds as it should, surely that’s enough? But as with most new films, some game-players want more than just stereo grunts and universe spanning orchestral pieces, they want well thought out surround sound and a creation of an aural gaming world.

The soundtrack alone is a feat of orchestral loveliness that could be enjoyed even without the game (if that’s your cup of tea), but every sound, from screaming banshees to the stupid little comments from your enemies and team-mates that put a smile on your face, is so well thought out that it just feels so natural. Naturally, there will be those that find the comments getting on their nerves after the 20th time of hearing ‘it’s the demon’, which is why it only gets a 9 for their sanity’s sake.

OVERALL 9/10
Halo 3 deserves its sales and, to some extent, its hype. The game is very well put together and just oozes enjoyment. Points are mainly lost for the length of the single-player game (depending on your skill level) and the potential for better graphics, but this game still deserves a 9. Long term haters of Halo will disagree, but stuff them, I like it, my friends like it and a few million other people seem to be pretty pleased by the game.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 12/10/07 at 12:05
"possibly impossible"
Depending on what you read, it’s either very surprising that Halo 3 has had any criticism at all, or it’s a disappointing 3rd entry into a downwardly spiralling trilogy.

The fact that the game is the single biggest selling game of the last 10 years, let alone this year, is testament to both the hype surrounding it and the Halo name, first made famous by the game which really kick-started sales of the original Xbox. But hype can be a dangerous thing, it can set a game up on a pedestal before it’s even released, then the game itself becomes somewhat of an anticlimax.

But here we have a game which many thought would meet or even exceed the hype, Halo 3 was the First Person Shooter that would show them all how it’s done. And here we have another problem. The world of console gaming (and PC gaming, even more so) is filled to the brim with FPS game. Sure, the Halo series has always been one of the better examples, but there are so many to choose from and so many gimmicks to get you to buy yet another one that it has some tough competition.

CONTROL: 9/10
Compared to a PC, there are those that will never get used to a gamepad to control a shooter. That said, there are those that swear by this control method. Depending on which side you sit, the impact of the game will be greatly affected. For those of us who are used to gamepads, the controls are pretty easy to get used to and even improve over Halo 2 with a much easier system of picking up and dual wielding weapons.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
Graphics aren’t quite as good as they could be. Look at Bioshock, even Gears of War, and you’ll see a difference in quality to Halo 3. That said, it’s only really noticeable in High Definition. I’ve been playing all three of these via a VGA monitor displaying at 1080p quality and it’s here that you notice Halo 3’s shortfalls. That said, the graphics are vastly better than Halo 2, even with the enhancements that the Xbox360 brings to the old Xbox game, and they more than meet the needs of the game. It’s just a case of being spoilt, perhaps, by other games.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
‘How can I justify a 10 here without seeming biased?’ I hear you ask. Well, it’s a difficult decision. The problem is that this game is a game of two halves, to borrow a football analogy. The single player game plays so fluidly with a great (if slightly confusing) storyline being strung out via cut-scenes. Enemies are given far better AI than previous games and it has levels suitable for everyone from beginners to hardened experts, all providing a challenge suitable for the player. So few games have this option any more.

The multi-player game is a wonder in itself, but, as with any online game, this relies on you having a good connection. The online 4 player co-op mode is inspired and great fun with the headsets on, where as the multiplayer modes are vast and well thought out, but it’s the Forge that sets it apart from other games. What could have been really messy, a game whereby anyone can dip out and move items around the map or create new ones, becomes something fresh and original and highly playable. Kudos to the programming team for coming up with this new idea.

SOUND 9/10
I never really know what to write about sound in these reviews. If everything sounds as it should, surely that’s enough? But as with most new films, some game-players want more than just stereo grunts and universe spanning orchestral pieces, they want well thought out surround sound and a creation of an aural gaming world.

The soundtrack alone is a feat of orchestral loveliness that could be enjoyed even without the game (if that’s your cup of tea), but every sound, from screaming banshees to the stupid little comments from your enemies and team-mates that put a smile on your face, is so well thought out that it just feels so natural. Naturally, there will be those that find the comments getting on their nerves after the 20th time of hearing ‘it’s the demon’, which is why it only gets a 9 for their sanity’s sake.

OVERALL 9/10
Halo 3 deserves its sales and, to some extent, its hype. The game is very well put together and just oozes enjoyment. Points are mainly lost for the length of the single-player game (depending on your skill level) and the potential for better graphics, but this game still deserves a 9. Long term haters of Halo will disagree, but stuff them, I like it, my friends like it and a few million other people seem to be pretty pleased by the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.