GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MoJo's Guide To Working Out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 15:49
Regular
Tired of being a weakling? Do you hate getting changed for PE because everyone has mounds of muscle except you? Do people beat you at arm wrestling every time? Do you struggle carrying tables/chairs around in lessons? If so, then this guide is for YOU!

Well I was thinking since everyone liked my guide to knocking off, that I would do one for working out

Another subject in which I excel :)

First, I'll explain why I decided to start working out, and why you should too. Back in year 10, tensions were rising between my friend and I, and some of the other kids in our year and other people we knew. Believing a fight was inevitable, we decided to start doing something to help us. My mate Wal was already really fit (compared to me) and could lift a lot, run really far really fast and had a hard punch. I, on the other hand, was a 9stone weakling (estimated guess - I have no idea how much I weighed back then, but I'm telling you - I was a weiner)

So I wanted to be able to do something in a fight, so we got together at his house to use his weights. Forgetting how pitiful I was, Wal made me lift what he was lifting. We did about 100 reps each through the day, and my GOD it was hell! My arms were burning, I was getting light headed, and I was absolutely knackered. And that was just the beginning. The next day, my parents and I were driving to visit my Gran in hospital, and on the way there we stopped off in a pub/restaurant to have a meal. I couldn't physically hold my Big Bud bottle which I was drinking with my food. That's how bad my arms were hurting, and how weak I had been left by the ordeal! I was completely cabbaged! But, we did it again next week. Each time, it hurt less.

I found out our school had a gym in the reception building, and my mate's Fos and M@ (Matt) invited me to come along after school. So I went along, and it was great. Soon we were going to the gym every single day, right after school. Sometimes Wal would come along, and that's when the phrase "chinning weights" came about. For the remainder of this guide I will be saying "chinning weights" instead of "lifting weights".

Anyhoo, soon Wal discovered a boxing gym near where we live, and since the three of us (myself, Wal and Fos) all used Wal's punching bag, we thought we'd go along. We bought some boxing gloves and some pads from McGurks, and went along. Man, it almost killed me. I never knew there were so many types of sit-ups!! Burpees, squats, snakes, I quickly learnt a LOAD of new types of sit ups/push up style thingies. After wards, I was almost dead, all the hitting of the punch bag, push ups, sit ups etc were really hard. But we went three times a week, every week. By now the school gym had been closed so they could build an LRC (Learning Resource Centre) in its place, so we didn't have a gym to go to.

We all got pretty fit, and I had bought some weights at home. Eventually, schoolwork and general laziness stopped me going to boxing, but while I was away, I continued doing sit ups every day at home. I went back for a one off and found the workout easy as pie, due to my staying in shape. I haven't been back since then, and for months I completely stopped working out. What little six pack I had was quickly becoming a beer belly again, and I could just FEEL that I was completely unfit. I couldn't do my weights at home because I took them into school for our group project (needed them as props) and I *still* haven't brought them back (after almost a YEAR!) They're still locked in the teacher's cupboard! I stopped doing sit-ups, press ups etc around the home, and I started feeling weak again.

So for Christmas, I asked for a load of new weights. I stuck them in the garage, and finally got around to using them. Now I use them every day, while blasting some CDs I made really loud. Now I'm starting to bulk up again, and soon I'll start doing sit ups again.

I'm no way near as fit as I once was, but I'm getting there, and this guide should help YOU get there too

If you're reading this, and you're already working out, then you may learn SOMETHING. But this guide is for the kids no-one would ever expect to work out. Like me. I'm thin, only 5"10/11, and I definitely don't look hard! Does this remind you of yourself? If so, then read on and soon the lasses will admire you, the lads will respect you, and you can walk past a mirror and stop to pose without someone asking what the heck you're doing!

Starting off -

OK, I was lucky, most of my mates wanted to work out. Any that didn't back then, do so now. So I always had someone to train with. Before I got my own weights to chin, I could use Wal's or just the ones at school.

So, find a place to work out. Get some people to go with you. Chances are, your friend are probably like you, but you MAY have one really fit kid who can teach you a lot. Does your school have a gym? Is there a Leisure Centre near you? If so, you're in luck. If not, forget it. The main reason I went to the gym every day was that it was only a 10 minute walk to my school. I have no motivation to work out if I have to walk half an hour to get to the next closest gym. So if you can't go to a gym, or can't get ANYONE to go with you (try asking your older brother) then chin weights at home. I'll talk about that later.

In the gym for the first time -

Get some training pants (brand named if possible - you don't want to look "sad") some trainers (make sure they're clean, some gyms won't let you in if you have mud on your shoes) and a t-shirt (not too revealing. Chances are you look pretty weedy, so don't try and show off muscle you don't have) Some gyms have one of those water things with the paper cups, but take a bottle of water just incase. Just buy a bottle of the stuff for 50p, then keep refilling it with tap water every time you go) Get some gym gloves from a shop/catalogue for under £5. These REALLY help, and you won't get darn blisters every time you go if you wear these. They also make you look like a pro :) Try not to look nervous. If you're unlucky, the place will be full of Mr Universe contestants, if so, um... leave. Try and go when you think most people are at work or summat. If you're lucky, they'll be an old couple, some of the staff and maybe one muscle man. Leave your stuff (bag, coat, mobile phone etc) wherever everyone else has, and go onto a machine you know how to use. The rowing machine, for instance, is pretty obvious. So go on, and try it. Mess with the settings if it's too much hard work. Most people will see that you're new and won't laugh at you or anything if you don't do anything too heavy while you're there. Don't think you have to impress anyone - you don't. Putting too much weight on something will just make you look like an idiot when you try it and fail. So, keep everything light. If someone DOES say something, say you're working through an injury and don't want to put too much strain on yourself. The overhead bar is great, and my personal favourite. You sit on a bench, with a bar over your head, attached to some weights. Most machines will have a pin with which to change the amount of weight, so experiment until you find a nice weight. Not so much that you have to struggle, but that so little that it takes no effort at all. If someone asks if you're finished with a machine, be honest. Don't be scared and run off, but don't stay on just for the sake of it. If you're done or nearly done, tell them. Try each machine once you have a good idea how to use it. If you look like you're having difficulty, a member of staff should come over and help you out. You'll probably feel like throwing in the towel pretty early, so remember how much you've done, so you can go back again and do more.

The day after -

Even if you didn't do that much, if it's the first time lifting any amount, you'll be dead. Try and go to the gym on a Friday or summat, so you don't have school the next day! Writing with an arm you can barely lift the pen with is HARD! You'll feel tired, drained, weak and have zero energy. You'll also be in a LOT of pain. If you're not, then you didn't do any lifting at all!

Making it regular -

Tell your mates it was great and try and get them to go with you. No doubt you'll have learnt how to use a lot of stuff, so show them. Try and go once a week, and if you miss it one week, make up for it by going twice the next week. Some people like to change between routines each time they go. One week they'll work on their legs, the next their arms, back and forth each week. I just get a routine and stick to it. I'll start on one thing, then go to the next, then the next and so on. The same every week. It means you're more likely to get a full work out, as you're more likely to say "I'll leave once I'm done" if you have a proper routine you stick to, instead of just winging it.

After the gym -

Buy some weights, so you can keep working out at home. £20+ will get you a load of good ones, and invest in some gloves if you haven't already. Your parents may pay for them, as they'll probably be glad you're taking an interest in something. I chin weights in my garage. I stuck a CD player in, and a heater (cold in the garage!) and all my stuff (including my official Reebok resistance tube!) So either keep them in a spare room/garage/shed/your bedroom and have them out ready to be used (just make sure someone won't stand on them and break their neck)

Work out whenever possible. Got 10 minutes spare? Or even 5? Then get your weights, and start curling. You could splash out on a bar and a bench, but that's more advanced, so wait till you get a result with the one arm weights first. With your weights, you'll get two sizes, one obviously heavier than the other. Start with two of the small ones on each one if you're really weak, or just have one of each on each side. Putting the weights together isn't exactly a challenge, so you can switch them a lot. Do five curls with one arm, then switch to your other. Refrain from leaning back when you curl it, as this is a form of cheating. And you're only cheating yourself. Leaning back comes naturally if the weight is heavy, so put your back to a wall, keeping your back and body as straight as possible. Breathe in as you pull the weight up, and breathe out as you go back down. Take deep long breaths, and relax. Grunt as much as you like, because you should have music on to help you. Although a friend of mine works out in complete silence because he says the music messes his timing up, everyone else has some form of tunes on. Dance music is OK, but there's nothing better than some hard hitting tuneskies from bands like Limp B etc.

The Music -

Here's a list of tunes I like to have blasting while I'm chinning weights

A - Nothing *
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal *
Blink 182 - Stay Together For The Kids
Blur - Song2
Breaking Point - One Of A Kind *
Busta Rhymes - Hit 'Em High
Creed - Bullets
Creed - Freedom Fighter
Creed - My Sacrifice
Creed - Unforgiven
Cypress Hill - Bones 06 Rock Superstar *
Cypress Hill - Trouble *
D12 - 11 Fight Music
Dead Prez - Hip Hop
Disturbed - Are You Breathing
Disturbed - Blood In My Eyes
Disturbed - Down With The Sickness
Disturbed - Dropping Plates
Disturbed - Shout 2000
Disturbed - Stupify
Disturbed - The Game
DMX - My N*ggas
DMX - Who We Be
Dr Dre f/ Ice Cube - Natural Born Killaz
Fatboy Slim - Yo Mama
Fear Factory - Scapegoat
House Of Pain - Jump Around *
Ice Cube f/ DMX - We Be Clubbin *
Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground
Kid Rock - Bawitdaba *
Kid Rock - Cocky *
Kid Rock - Forever
Korn - Blind *
Limp Bizkit - Hotdog
Limp Bizkit - My Generation *
Limp Bizkit - My Way *
Limp Bizkit - Rollin' *
Limp Bizkit - Take A Look Around *
Limp Bizkit - Boiler
Limp Bizkit - Nookie *
Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff *
Limp Bizkit - Re-arranged *
Limp Bizkit - No Sex
Limp Bizkit - Pollution
Limp Bizkit - Counterfeit
Limp Bizkit - Faith
Limp Bizkit - My Way William Orbit Remix *
Limp Bizkit - Nookie Remix
Linkin Park - 01 Papercut
Linkin Park - 02 One Step Closer
Linkin Park - 04 Points Of Authority
Linkin Park - 05 Crawling
Linkin Park - 08 In The End
Lit - Over My Head
LL Cool J - Deep Blue Sea
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out *
LL Cool J - Shut 'Em Down
Marylin Manson - Fight Song
Marylin Manson - Rock Is Dead
Marylin Manson - Tainted Love
Marylin Manson - The Beautiful People
Metallica - I Disappear *
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
Motorhead - Enter Sandman *
Motorhead - The Game
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit *
NY Confidential - Really Don't Matter
Offspring - Come Out And Play
Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
OPM - Stash Up *
Pantera - Walk *
Papa Roach - 02 Last Resort
Papa Roach - 03 Broken Home
Papa Roach - 05 Between Angels And Insects *
POD - Alive
Prodigy - Funky Sh@#
Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
Propeller Heads - Spy Break
Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
Puddle Of Mudd - Control
Puff Daddy - Its All About the Benjies RMX
Puff Daddy - Will They Die 4U *
Puff Daddy f/ Jimmy Page - Come With Me
Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk
Rage Against The Machine - Wake up *
Rob Zombie - Dragula
Rob Zombie - Never Gonna Stop
Run DMC - It's Tricky
Run DMC f/ Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Run DMC f/ Jason Nevins - It's Like That
Staind - For You
Staind - It's Been A While
Staind - Outside
Sum 41 - Fat Lip
Sum 41 - In Too Deep

I would recommend any of these, so get 'em, stick 'em on a CD, and blast 'em through the house

The ones I've starred are especially good, so if you only get a few, make it these ones

Where to work out -

I only workout when the house is empty, or near empty. Someone coming in and asking what you're doing really puts you off. Also, you can have your music a lot louder if there's no-one in the house to coming running in, screaming at you to turn it down.

So, have a bottle of water, and if you're doing a full workout (weights, push ups, sit ups etc) then wear what you would to the gym. If you're just killing time by lifting your weights a bit, obviously don't bother getting changed.

Getting ready -

Although some scientists claim stretching doesn't actually decrease the chance of injuring yourself, it does make you more flexible and able to do more when you start lifting, so always stretch if you're about to do a full on work out. You can probably remember some from PE lessons, but if not, I'll try and describe some -

Put your left arm straight out in front of you, stretching it as far as possible. Put your right arm the same way, only behind you. Now move your right arm in a complete circle, past your left, rotating it again and again, kind of like you're swimming (not breast stroke). Go slowly, always keeping both arms fully reached out. Do this about 10 times, then swap arms. Now repeat, but rotate your arm the other way (backwards)

Another one, touch the gap between your shoulder blades on your back with your right hand. Your elbow should be in the air by your head. Put your left hand on this elbow, and pull it down towards your left side (obviously not too hard) You'll be able to feel it, if it's painful, don't push so hard. With your right hand (which should now be above your left ribs) wiggle and stretch your fingers out. Hold this position for a couple of seconds, then swap arms, keep going back and forth for a while.

Put your hands behind your back, holding one in the other, by your, um, bottom. Now lift them up as far as possible. Lean your entire body forward as you do so, then back to normal level. Repeat this as many times as you want

The rest of the stretches I do don't really lend themselves to being described in words too well, so just see what you can stretch, and do it. Concentrate on your arms and upper body, but even if you won't be using your legs, do some leg stretches just to warm up. Put one leg on a stool/chair/table, and make it as straight as possible, now move your body down, and you'll really feel it pulling. Do with as many times as you want with both legs.

Shadow boxing -

Shadow boxing is a great way to warm up, so I'll try and tell you how to do it (it would be a lot easier if I could show you)

This is for if you're right handed. If you're left handed, just swap right to left.

Put your left foot straight ahead, pointing forward. Now put your right foot next to it, so your heels are almost touching. Turn your feet so that your left foot looks like it's on 1 and your right foot on 2, so your feet look like the hands on a clock saying it's five past 2 o'clock

Keep your both legs slightly bent, so you can move up and down on them, raise your feet a LITTLE, so you're kind of on tip toe (but still keep your heels near the floor, just raise them a little). Move your right foot one step back, to balance yourself better. Keep bouncing on your legs/feet, obviously not getting too much height. Now, clench your fists (keeping the thumb on the outside) and put them both up to your chin, so that your knuckles and thumbs are JUST touching either side of your mouth. Put your head down, and look up. If this blocks most of your vision, raise your head a little. Slowly, extend your left arm in a straight punch. Turn your fist as you go out so that it's level with your arm and your thumb is facing down (you know what a punch looks like) Extend it as far as it will go, then bring it back slowly. As SOON as it's back by your chin (put it exactly where it was) send your right fist out, doing the same as with your left. As soon as that comes back, put your left out again. Gradually speed up. If you think too much about what you're doing, you may mess it up, so just relax. If you want, you can pretend you're dodging punches, by swaying on your hips, and rotating your entire upper body. Keep your lower torso where it is. Duck and weave while throwing punches, always keeping your fists by your chin and your head down. If you want some power in your right punch, turn your hips to go with the punch. Doing this will move your left fist, leaving your face unguarded, so keep your left by your chin when you do this.

When you can do this at a good speed, breathe out in a pushing motion (like a pregnant woman would) and in short bursts. Exhale (breathe out) each time you throw a punch. But don't forget to breathe in again when you need to!!

If you've mastered all this, you can try moving around (if you've got the space) To move back, take one step back with your right, then very quickly bring your left foot with it, always staying in the position you're in, with your body slightly twisted. To go forward, put your left foot forward, then bring your right up. To go left and right, move your right foot to the side then bring your left along, and use your left first to go left. Now you should be able to strafe left and right, and go back and forth. Mix this into your dodging/ducking/weaving as you throw punches.

You can shadow box whenever you want, even if you don't work out afterwards. You can do it just about anywhere, just make sure there's nothing you'll bump into and smash.

But after you've done a bit of shadow boxing and other stretches, get your weights. Remember to keep your back straight against a wall if possible. Do five curls (lift it from your leg up to your shoulder incase you didn't know) on each arm back and forth until you think you've done enough. Work to the point of fatigue (being slightly tired) rather than exhaustion (where you can't physically lift it anymore) Take a small break, do some more stretching, take a drink of your water, then grab your weight again. Hold it by your neck and push it upwards, turning your hand as you go up so your knuckles are facing forward. Then bring it down again. Make sure there isn't a strip light or anything that you can smash on the ceiling. Do 5 then swap arms. Again, keep going back and forth until you get slightly tired. The weight should be not too heavy, not too light. If you have to struggle just to lift it, then forget it - lose some of it. If you could lift it all day, add some to it. With your weights you should have some posters/leaflets with various ways to lift the weights, but if for some reason you didn't (like the weights are second hand - a nice cheap way of getting them) then just ask yourself "How many different ways can I lift this thing?" There are loads of ways, so think about it and try out any ways you can think of. You may even invent a new way, like Rob Van Dam did.

Working out without the weights -

If you're waiting for your weights (I dunno, let's say you're saving up) then there is still a lot you can do. All the stretches and some jogging on the spot helps with cardio. Buy a skipping rope and you can use that (make sure no-one sees you, you don't want to look fruity) Push ups and sit ups are great. I would do sit ups on my sofa while I was watching The Box and Kerrang etc. During a half term holiday last year, I was doing about 100 sit ups a day, just by doing them when I was bored. Push ups are a little harder. I can drop and do 10 whenever I want, but anymore than that and I actually have to work hard. The most I've ever done is 40, back when I was pretty darn fit. Whenever you have two seconds spare, just do some push ups - you can do them anywhere. I would do them while I was waiting for stuff on my PC (downloads, loading, installing etc) Any time I had a spare minute, I was on the floor doing push ups. You can get push up bars to help, they make it a lot easier, but you're fine without them.

Targets -

Try and set targets for yourself. Stuff like "I did 10 push ups just then, tomorrow I'll do 12, then the next day I'll do 15" and "I curled this 5 times, by the end of the week I'll be curling it 10 times" etc etc

This really helps you keep track of what you're doing and what you're gonna do. Even if it's just "I spent half an hour working out today, tomorrow I'll work out for an extra ten minutes"

With Mates -

Get a mate around, and you can keep pushing each other to do more. Sometimes you can get lazy working out by yourself, but with someone else, there's always someone saying "Hurry up, I wanna use them next" Hopefully they should have some of their own stuff, like extra weights, or an official Reebok mat to do sit ups on, or the official Reebok resistance tube - great for stretching. Look into getting one, they're great - even Booker T uses one. Anyhoo, just stick some music on, and work out with your mates. Show them how to stretch/warm up if they don't know, and just have a nice social chat while you're chinning weights.

Keep it up -

It can be hard keeping all this up, going to the gym, or working out at home every day. The way around this is to just do it so often that you get used to it. So used to it, that when you DON'T do it, it feels... weird. I got into a full routine of doing sit ups and push ups every day - when I woke up, when I was watching TV, before I went to bed. It only stopped when I went on an English/Drama trip. But it's easy to get back into it.

So work out as often as possible, even if it's just for 5 minutes before you do something else.

Eat healthily -

OK, I know it may be hard, but stop drinking coke and all the other fizzy drinks! The caffeine is bad for you, and they rot your teeth. Instead, drink water, milk and if you like it (I don't) orange juice - only the healthy stuff though. I did this, and (after some withdrawal symptoms) I haven't looked back. I still eat a lot of rubbish, but I eat a lot of fruit too. Bananas are great for energy, and I'll often eat one before, or while I'm working out. You'll soon get used to only drinking water and milk and maybe some fruit juice. Do you buy a can of coke every day at break? Then stop, and get the bottle of water instead. Anyone asks what the heck you're doing, just say it's healthier. Eat your vegetables at dinner and tea, and pick up an apple instead of a Mars bar when you go into the kitchen. If your parents don't get that much fruit, tell them too. I'm sure any parent would rather their kid was eating fruit than chocolate. Every time you pick up some food - ask yourself "Is this healthy?"

Obviously still eat all the stuff you normally do, but try and eat more fruit and other healthy stuff than you normally would.

Things to remember -

Work out whenever possible
Don't lift too much
Stop if you feel ill/dizzy/light headed
Don't push yourself too much
Jogging every day is a great way to help you get fit
Keep lifting the same amount every day. Soon, it will seem a lot easier and lighter, so add some weight to it every time this happens
Always have a bottle of water with you. Drinking too much can give you a stitch though, so do it in moderation.
Do a lot of stretching and jogging on the spot to improve cardio

Perks -

Now it's time to reap the rewards. An old move I call the "stretch 'n' flex" may come in handy. I dunno if this is possible in school uniform, I dunno, maybe if you're allowed to take your jumpers off, you may be able to roll up your sleeves enough to do this. Basically, lean back, and stretch your arms out like you're yawning, then as you bring your arms back in, flex the old arms and any birds watching will be mightily impressed. Another trick during summer is to have some shades with you. Lean back on your chair and wipe them with your t-shirt, revealing the six pack to the birds. Another classic :)

Basically, from now on, if there's ever a push up or arm wrestling competition, have a go. People will be very surprised to see you're a lot better than they would expect. You can now walk around without your shirt on in summer with pride.

The end, and after -

Don't expect to be Arnie in a week - it just won't happen. But, if you work out often enough, you'll notice that you're getting bigger. Even though you can't do as much at home as you can in the gym, you can still bulk up from it. I reckon, a few months of working out everyday and there'll be a definite difference.

Do stretches every day, even if you don't work out. Any time you're bored during the day, drop and do 10 push ups, or get down and do thirty sit ups. Waiting for your mate to come around so you can go out? Then grab your weights and start curling (just remember to spray some deodorant afterwards, eh?)

A good way to test your strength is the old arm wrestle. It's a good way of measuring how far you've come, for both of you. So arm wrestle your mate now, then again in a few months. If you're both working out it'll take a lot longer for one of you to beat the other. If it's just you, chances are you'll beat him in a flash.

OK, in a few months, if you keep going to the gym as well as doing stuff at home, or just doing stuff at home if you don't have an available gym, you'll be developing a six pack, your shoulders will get bigger, and you'll know how to throw a punch (from shadow boxing)

Don't abuse your new found abilities, and don't forget - there are bound to be about 10 other kids in your year that work out too, and have been doing it for a lot longer than you have

Hope this guide helps, and don't forget - pain is for the weak
Tue 05/03/02 at 14:02
Regular
"That's right!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> i should start pumping iron again, i still have all my weight and bench jsut
> havent used em for a couple of years, i still have the muscle though just i got
> fat around it now.

c.b.

------------

Then print off my guide, and start chinning those weights, dag nammit!

Burn those calories

Destroy that flab!

Do it! Do it now!
Tue 05/03/02 at 11:20
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Crikey - Im knackered just trying to read it all !!
Tue 05/03/02 at 11:02
Regular
i should start pumping iron again, i still have all my weight and bench jsut havent used em for a couple of years, i still have the muscle though just i got fat around it now.

c.b.
Mon 04/03/02 at 23:52
Regular
"That's right!"
Rakuga wrote:
> Mojojojojojo please cut down your post sizes. If it's so long that you can't
> find the replies in the topic it's simply too long.

I'm sorry I'd like to
> read some of your posts Rumney but there's too much to read - it puts me off :/

-----------

That's because you're a crap reader, Rak, nowt wrong with my posts :-D

If you're really struggling and have the reading ability of a 5 year old, then read bits at a time - take regular breaks and go back to school
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Mojojojojojo please cut down your post sizes. If it's so long that you can't find the replies in the topic it's simply too long.

I'm sorry I'd like to read some of your posts Rumney but there's too much to read - it puts me off :/
Sun 03/03/02 at 22:51
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah, like I mentioned, once you stop, it's hard to get back into it again

But when you do, it's hard to stop!

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I use a heater in my garage, keeps me warm
Sun 03/03/02 at 19:11
Regular
I've lost the motivation to work out man. Main reason could be due to it being really cold in my garage... Havnt done any weights for about 2 weeks now. I missed a few workouts and my whole routine got ruined. Once I miss a few it is really hard to get back into the whole swing.

I'm not really that bothered about my fitness though. I only work on my upper arms and chest. I'm gonna make a good effort to try and get back into the routine tomorrow though.

Thanks for inspiring me with your post.
Sun 03/03/02 at 17:30
Regular
"That's right!"
Poppety to the toppety
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:49
Regular
"That's right!"
Tired of being a weakling? Do you hate getting changed for PE because everyone has mounds of muscle except you? Do people beat you at arm wrestling every time? Do you struggle carrying tables/chairs around in lessons? If so, then this guide is for YOU!

Well I was thinking since everyone liked my guide to knocking off, that I would do one for working out

Another subject in which I excel :)

First, I'll explain why I decided to start working out, and why you should too. Back in year 10, tensions were rising between my friend and I, and some of the other kids in our year and other people we knew. Believing a fight was inevitable, we decided to start doing something to help us. My mate Wal was already really fit (compared to me) and could lift a lot, run really far really fast and had a hard punch. I, on the other hand, was a 9stone weakling (estimated guess - I have no idea how much I weighed back then, but I'm telling you - I was a weiner)

So I wanted to be able to do something in a fight, so we got together at his house to use his weights. Forgetting how pitiful I was, Wal made me lift what he was lifting. We did about 100 reps each through the day, and my GOD it was hell! My arms were burning, I was getting light headed, and I was absolutely knackered. And that was just the beginning. The next day, my parents and I were driving to visit my Gran in hospital, and on the way there we stopped off in a pub/restaurant to have a meal. I couldn't physically hold my Big Bud bottle which I was drinking with my food. That's how bad my arms were hurting, and how weak I had been left by the ordeal! I was completely cabbaged! But, we did it again next week. Each time, it hurt less.

I found out our school had a gym in the reception building, and my mate's Fos and M@ (Matt) invited me to come along after school. So I went along, and it was great. Soon we were going to the gym every single day, right after school. Sometimes Wal would come along, and that's when the phrase "chinning weights" came about. For the remainder of this guide I will be saying "chinning weights" instead of "lifting weights".

Anyhoo, soon Wal discovered a boxing gym near where we live, and since the three of us (myself, Wal and Fos) all used Wal's punching bag, we thought we'd go along. We bought some boxing gloves and some pads from McGurks, and went along. Man, it almost killed me. I never knew there were so many types of sit-ups!! Burpees, squats, snakes, I quickly learnt a LOAD of new types of sit ups/push up style thingies. After wards, I was almost dead, all the hitting of the punch bag, push ups, sit ups etc were really hard. But we went three times a week, every week. By now the school gym had been closed so they could build an LRC (Learning Resource Centre) in its place, so we didn't have a gym to go to.

We all got pretty fit, and I had bought some weights at home. Eventually, schoolwork and general laziness stopped me going to boxing, but while I was away, I continued doing sit ups every day at home. I went back for a one off and found the workout easy as pie, due to my staying in shape. I haven't been back since then, and for months I completely stopped working out. What little six pack I had was quickly becoming a beer belly again, and I could just FEEL that I was completely unfit. I couldn't do my weights at home because I took them into school for our group project (needed them as props) and I *still* haven't brought them back (after almost a YEAR!) They're still locked in the teacher's cupboard! I stopped doing sit-ups, press ups etc around the home, and I started feeling weak again.

So for Christmas, I asked for a load of new weights. I stuck them in the garage, and finally got around to using them. Now I use them every day, while blasting some CDs I made really loud. Now I'm starting to bulk up again, and soon I'll start doing sit ups again.

I'm no way near as fit as I once was, but I'm getting there, and this guide should help YOU get there too

If you're reading this, and you're already working out, then you may learn SOMETHING. But this guide is for the kids no-one would ever expect to work out. Like me. I'm thin, only 5"10/11, and I definitely don't look hard! Does this remind you of yourself? If so, then read on and soon the lasses will admire you, the lads will respect you, and you can walk past a mirror and stop to pose without someone asking what the heck you're doing!

Starting off -

OK, I was lucky, most of my mates wanted to work out. Any that didn't back then, do so now. So I always had someone to train with. Before I got my own weights to chin, I could use Wal's or just the ones at school.

So, find a place to work out. Get some people to go with you. Chances are, your friend are probably like you, but you MAY have one really fit kid who can teach you a lot. Does your school have a gym? Is there a Leisure Centre near you? If so, you're in luck. If not, forget it. The main reason I went to the gym every day was that it was only a 10 minute walk to my school. I have no motivation to work out if I have to walk half an hour to get to the next closest gym. So if you can't go to a gym, or can't get ANYONE to go with you (try asking your older brother) then chin weights at home. I'll talk about that later.

In the gym for the first time -

Get some training pants (brand named if possible - you don't want to look "sad") some trainers (make sure they're clean, some gyms won't let you in if you have mud on your shoes) and a t-shirt (not too revealing. Chances are you look pretty weedy, so don't try and show off muscle you don't have) Some gyms have one of those water things with the paper cups, but take a bottle of water just incase. Just buy a bottle of the stuff for 50p, then keep refilling it with tap water every time you go) Get some gym gloves from a shop/catalogue for under £5. These REALLY help, and you won't get darn blisters every time you go if you wear these. They also make you look like a pro :) Try not to look nervous. If you're unlucky, the place will be full of Mr Universe contestants, if so, um... leave. Try and go when you think most people are at work or summat. If you're lucky, they'll be an old couple, some of the staff and maybe one muscle man. Leave your stuff (bag, coat, mobile phone etc) wherever everyone else has, and go onto a machine you know how to use. The rowing machine, for instance, is pretty obvious. So go on, and try it. Mess with the settings if it's too much hard work. Most people will see that you're new and won't laugh at you or anything if you don't do anything too heavy while you're there. Don't think you have to impress anyone - you don't. Putting too much weight on something will just make you look like an idiot when you try it and fail. So, keep everything light. If someone DOES say something, say you're working through an injury and don't want to put too much strain on yourself. The overhead bar is great, and my personal favourite. You sit on a bench, with a bar over your head, attached to some weights. Most machines will have a pin with which to change the amount of weight, so experiment until you find a nice weight. Not so much that you have to struggle, but that so little that it takes no effort at all. If someone asks if you're finished with a machine, be honest. Don't be scared and run off, but don't stay on just for the sake of it. If you're done or nearly done, tell them. Try each machine once you have a good idea how to use it. If you look like you're having difficulty, a member of staff should come over and help you out. You'll probably feel like throwing in the towel pretty early, so remember how much you've done, so you can go back again and do more.

The day after -

Even if you didn't do that much, if it's the first time lifting any amount, you'll be dead. Try and go to the gym on a Friday or summat, so you don't have school the next day! Writing with an arm you can barely lift the pen with is HARD! You'll feel tired, drained, weak and have zero energy. You'll also be in a LOT of pain. If you're not, then you didn't do any lifting at all!

Making it regular -

Tell your mates it was great and try and get them to go with you. No doubt you'll have learnt how to use a lot of stuff, so show them. Try and go once a week, and if you miss it one week, make up for it by going twice the next week. Some people like to change between routines each time they go. One week they'll work on their legs, the next their arms, back and forth each week. I just get a routine and stick to it. I'll start on one thing, then go to the next, then the next and so on. The same every week. It means you're more likely to get a full work out, as you're more likely to say "I'll leave once I'm done" if you have a proper routine you stick to, instead of just winging it.

After the gym -

Buy some weights, so you can keep working out at home. £20+ will get you a load of good ones, and invest in some gloves if you haven't already. Your parents may pay for them, as they'll probably be glad you're taking an interest in something. I chin weights in my garage. I stuck a CD player in, and a heater (cold in the garage!) and all my stuff (including my official Reebok resistance tube!) So either keep them in a spare room/garage/shed/your bedroom and have them out ready to be used (just make sure someone won't stand on them and break their neck)

Work out whenever possible. Got 10 minutes spare? Or even 5? Then get your weights, and start curling. You could splash out on a bar and a bench, but that's more advanced, so wait till you get a result with the one arm weights first. With your weights, you'll get two sizes, one obviously heavier than the other. Start with two of the small ones on each one if you're really weak, or just have one of each on each side. Putting the weights together isn't exactly a challenge, so you can switch them a lot. Do five curls with one arm, then switch to your other. Refrain from leaning back when you curl it, as this is a form of cheating. And you're only cheating yourself. Leaning back comes naturally if the weight is heavy, so put your back to a wall, keeping your back and body as straight as possible. Breathe in as you pull the weight up, and breathe out as you go back down. Take deep long breaths, and relax. Grunt as much as you like, because you should have music on to help you. Although a friend of mine works out in complete silence because he says the music messes his timing up, everyone else has some form of tunes on. Dance music is OK, but there's nothing better than some hard hitting tuneskies from bands like Limp B etc.

The Music -

Here's a list of tunes I like to have blasting while I'm chinning weights

A - Nothing *
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal *
Blink 182 - Stay Together For The Kids
Blur - Song2
Breaking Point - One Of A Kind *
Busta Rhymes - Hit 'Em High
Creed - Bullets
Creed - Freedom Fighter
Creed - My Sacrifice
Creed - Unforgiven
Cypress Hill - Bones 06 Rock Superstar *
Cypress Hill - Trouble *
D12 - 11 Fight Music
Dead Prez - Hip Hop
Disturbed - Are You Breathing
Disturbed - Blood In My Eyes
Disturbed - Down With The Sickness
Disturbed - Dropping Plates
Disturbed - Shout 2000
Disturbed - Stupify
Disturbed - The Game
DMX - My N*ggas
DMX - Who We Be
Dr Dre f/ Ice Cube - Natural Born Killaz
Fatboy Slim - Yo Mama
Fear Factory - Scapegoat
House Of Pain - Jump Around *
Ice Cube f/ DMX - We Be Clubbin *
Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground
Kid Rock - Bawitdaba *
Kid Rock - Cocky *
Kid Rock - Forever
Korn - Blind *
Limp Bizkit - Hotdog
Limp Bizkit - My Generation *
Limp Bizkit - My Way *
Limp Bizkit - Rollin' *
Limp Bizkit - Take A Look Around *
Limp Bizkit - Boiler
Limp Bizkit - Nookie *
Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff *
Limp Bizkit - Re-arranged *
Limp Bizkit - No Sex
Limp Bizkit - Pollution
Limp Bizkit - Counterfeit
Limp Bizkit - Faith
Limp Bizkit - My Way William Orbit Remix *
Limp Bizkit - Nookie Remix
Linkin Park - 01 Papercut
Linkin Park - 02 One Step Closer
Linkin Park - 04 Points Of Authority
Linkin Park - 05 Crawling
Linkin Park - 08 In The End
Lit - Over My Head
LL Cool J - Deep Blue Sea
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out *
LL Cool J - Shut 'Em Down
Marylin Manson - Fight Song
Marylin Manson - Rock Is Dead
Marylin Manson - Tainted Love
Marylin Manson - The Beautiful People
Metallica - I Disappear *
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
Motorhead - Enter Sandman *
Motorhead - The Game
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit *
NY Confidential - Really Don't Matter
Offspring - Come Out And Play
Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
OPM - Stash Up *
Pantera - Walk *
Papa Roach - 02 Last Resort
Papa Roach - 03 Broken Home
Papa Roach - 05 Between Angels And Insects *
POD - Alive
Prodigy - Funky Sh@#
Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
Propeller Heads - Spy Break
Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
Puddle Of Mudd - Control
Puff Daddy - Its All About the Benjies RMX
Puff Daddy - Will They Die 4U *
Puff Daddy f/ Jimmy Page - Come With Me
Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk
Rage Against The Machine - Wake up *
Rob Zombie - Dragula
Rob Zombie - Never Gonna Stop
Run DMC - It's Tricky
Run DMC f/ Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Run DMC f/ Jason Nevins - It's Like That
Staind - For You
Staind - It's Been A While
Staind - Outside
Sum 41 - Fat Lip
Sum 41 - In Too Deep

I would recommend any of these, so get 'em, stick 'em on a CD, and blast 'em through the house

The ones I've starred are especially good, so if you only get a few, make it these ones

Where to work out -

I only workout when the house is empty, or near empty. Someone coming in and asking what you're doing really puts you off. Also, you can have your music a lot louder if there's no-one in the house to coming running in, screaming at you to turn it down.

So, have a bottle of water, and if you're doing a full workout (weights, push ups, sit ups etc) then wear what you would to the gym. If you're just killing time by lifting your weights a bit, obviously don't bother getting changed.

Getting ready -

Although some scientists claim stretching doesn't actually decrease the chance of injuring yourself, it does make you more flexible and able to do more when you start lifting, so always stretch if you're about to do a full on work out. You can probably remember some from PE lessons, but if not, I'll try and describe some -

Put your left arm straight out in front of you, stretching it as far as possible. Put your right arm the same way, only behind you. Now move your right arm in a complete circle, past your left, rotating it again and again, kind of like you're swimming (not breast stroke). Go slowly, always keeping both arms fully reached out. Do this about 10 times, then swap arms. Now repeat, but rotate your arm the other way (backwards)

Another one, touch the gap between your shoulder blades on your back with your right hand. Your elbow should be in the air by your head. Put your left hand on this elbow, and pull it down towards your left side (obviously not too hard) You'll be able to feel it, if it's painful, don't push so hard. With your right hand (which should now be above your left ribs) wiggle and stretch your fingers out. Hold this position for a couple of seconds, then swap arms, keep going back and forth for a while.

Put your hands behind your back, holding one in the other, by your, um, bottom. Now lift them up as far as possible. Lean your entire body forward as you do so, then back to normal level. Repeat this as many times as you want

The rest of the stretches I do don't really lend themselves to being described in words too well, so just see what you can stretch, and do it. Concentrate on your arms and upper body, but even if you won't be using your legs, do some leg stretches just to warm up. Put one leg on a stool/chair/table, and make it as straight as possible, now move your body down, and you'll really feel it pulling. Do with as many times as you want with both legs.

Shadow boxing -

Shadow boxing is a great way to warm up, so I'll try and tell you how to do it (it would be a lot easier if I could show you)

This is for if you're right handed. If you're left handed, just swap right to left.

Put your left foot straight ahead, pointing forward. Now put your right foot next to it, so your heels are almost touching. Turn your feet so that your left foot looks like it's on 1 and your right foot on 2, so your feet look like the hands on a clock saying it's five past 2 o'clock

Keep your both legs slightly bent, so you can move up and down on them, raise your feet a LITTLE, so you're kind of on tip toe (but still keep your heels near the floor, just raise them a little). Move your right foot one step back, to balance yourself better. Keep bouncing on your legs/feet, obviously not getting too much height. Now, clench your fists (keeping the thumb on the outside) and put them both up to your chin, so that your knuckles and thumbs are JUST touching either side of your mouth. Put your head down, and look up. If this blocks most of your vision, raise your head a little. Slowly, extend your left arm in a straight punch. Turn your fist as you go out so that it's level with your arm and your thumb is facing down (you know what a punch looks like) Extend it as far as it will go, then bring it back slowly. As SOON as it's back by your chin (put it exactly where it was) send your right fist out, doing the same as with your left. As soon as that comes back, put your left out again. Gradually speed up. If you think too much about what you're doing, you may mess it up, so just relax. If you want, you can pretend you're dodging punches, by swaying on your hips, and rotating your entire upper body. Keep your lower torso where it is. Duck and weave while throwing punches, always keeping your fists by your chin and your head down. If you want some power in your right punch, turn your hips to go with the punch. Doing this will move your left fist, leaving your face unguarded, so keep your left by your chin when you do this.

When you can do this at a good speed, breathe out in a pushing motion (like a pregnant woman would) and in short bursts. Exhale (breathe out) each time you throw a punch. But don't forget to breathe in again when you need to!!

If you've mastered all this, you can try moving around (if you've got the space) To move back, take one step back with your right, then very quickly bring your left foot with it, always staying in the position you're in, with your body slightly twisted. To go forward, put your left foot forward, then bring your right up. To go left and right, move your right foot to the side then bring your left along, and use your left first to go left. Now you should be able to strafe left and right, and go back and forth. Mix this into your dodging/ducking/weaving as you throw punches.

You can shadow box whenever you want, even if you don't work out afterwards. You can do it just about anywhere, just make sure there's nothing you'll bump into and smash.

But after you've done a bit of shadow boxing and other stretches, get your weights. Remember to keep your back straight against a wall if possible. Do five curls (lift it from your leg up to your shoulder incase you didn't know) on each arm back and forth until you think you've done enough. Work to the point of fatigue (being slightly tired) rather than exhaustion (where you can't physically lift it anymore) Take a small break, do some more stretching, take a drink of your water, then grab your weight again. Hold it by your neck and push it upwards, turning your hand as you go up so your knuckles are facing forward. Then bring it down again. Make sure there isn't a strip light or anything that you can smash on the ceiling. Do 5 then swap arms. Again, keep going back and forth until you get slightly tired. The weight should be not too heavy, not too light. If you have to struggle just to lift it, then forget it - lose some of it. If you could lift it all day, add some to it. With your weights you should have some posters/leaflets with various ways to lift the weights, but if for some reason you didn't (like the weights are second hand - a nice cheap way of getting them) then just ask yourself "How many different ways can I lift this thing?" There are loads of ways, so think about it and try out any ways you can think of. You may even invent a new way, like Rob Van Dam did.

Working out without the weights -

If you're waiting for your weights (I dunno, let's say you're saving up) then there is still a lot you can do. All the stretches and some jogging on the spot helps with cardio. Buy a skipping rope and you can use that (make sure no-one sees you, you don't want to look fruity) Push ups and sit ups are great. I would do sit ups on my sofa while I was watching The Box and Kerrang etc. During a half term holiday last year, I was doing about 100 sit ups a day, just by doing them when I was bored. Push ups are a little harder. I can drop and do 10 whenever I want, but anymore than that and I actually have to work hard. The most I've ever done is 40, back when I was pretty darn fit. Whenever you have two seconds spare, just do some push ups - you can do them anywhere. I would do them while I was waiting for stuff on my PC (downloads, loading, installing etc) Any time I had a spare minute, I was on the floor doing push ups. You can get push up bars to help, they make it a lot easier, but you're fine without them.

Targets -

Try and set targets for yourself. Stuff like "I did 10 push ups just then, tomorrow I'll do 12, then the next day I'll do 15" and "I curled this 5 times, by the end of the week I'll be curling it 10 times" etc etc

This really helps you keep track of what you're doing and what you're gonna do. Even if it's just "I spent half an hour working out today, tomorrow I'll work out for an extra ten minutes"

With Mates -

Get a mate around, and you can keep pushing each other to do more. Sometimes you can get lazy working out by yourself, but with someone else, there's always someone saying "Hurry up, I wanna use them next" Hopefully they should have some of their own stuff, like extra weights, or an official Reebok mat to do sit ups on, or the official Reebok resistance tube - great for stretching. Look into getting one, they're great - even Booker T uses one. Anyhoo, just stick some music on, and work out with your mates. Show them how to stretch/warm up if they don't know, and just have a nice social chat while you're chinning weights.

Keep it up -

It can be hard keeping all this up, going to the gym, or working out at home every day. The way around this is to just do it so often that you get used to it. So used to it, that when you DON'T do it, it feels... weird. I got into a full routine of doing sit ups and push ups every day - when I woke up, when I was watching TV, before I went to bed. It only stopped when I went on an English/Drama trip. But it's easy to get back into it.

So work out as often as possible, even if it's just for 5 minutes before you do something else.

Eat healthily -

OK, I know it may be hard, but stop drinking coke and all the other fizzy drinks! The caffeine is bad for you, and they rot your teeth. Instead, drink water, milk and if you like it (I don't) orange juice - only the healthy stuff though. I did this, and (after some withdrawal symptoms) I haven't looked back. I still eat a lot of rubbish, but I eat a lot of fruit too. Bananas are great for energy, and I'll often eat one before, or while I'm working out. You'll soon get used to only drinking water and milk and maybe some fruit juice. Do you buy a can of coke every day at break? Then stop, and get the bottle of water instead. Anyone asks what the heck you're doing, just say it's healthier. Eat your vegetables at dinner and tea, and pick up an apple instead of a Mars bar when you go into the kitchen. If your parents don't get that much fruit, tell them too. I'm sure any parent would rather their kid was eating fruit than chocolate. Every time you pick up some food - ask yourself "Is this healthy?"

Obviously still eat all the stuff you normally do, but try and eat more fruit and other healthy stuff than you normally would.

Things to remember -

Work out whenever possible
Don't lift too much
Stop if you feel ill/dizzy/light headed
Don't push yourself too much
Jogging every day is a great way to help you get fit
Keep lifting the same amount every day. Soon, it will seem a lot easier and lighter, so add some weight to it every time this happens
Always have a bottle of water with you. Drinking too much can give you a stitch though, so do it in moderation.
Do a lot of stretching and jogging on the spot to improve cardio

Perks -

Now it's time to reap the rewards. An old move I call the "stretch 'n' flex" may come in handy. I dunno if this is possible in school uniform, I dunno, maybe if you're allowed to take your jumpers off, you may be able to roll up your sleeves enough to do this. Basically, lean back, and stretch your arms out like you're yawning, then as you bring your arms back in, flex the old arms and any birds watching will be mightily impressed. Another trick during summer is to have some shades with you. Lean back on your chair and wipe them with your t-shirt, revealing the six pack to the birds. Another classic :)

Basically, from now on, if there's ever a push up or arm wrestling competition, have a go. People will be very surprised to see you're a lot better than they would expect. You can now walk around without your shirt on in summer with pride.

The end, and after -

Don't expect to be Arnie in a week - it just won't happen. But, if you work out often enough, you'll notice that you're getting bigger. Even though you can't do as much at home as you can in the gym, you can still bulk up from it. I reckon, a few months of working out everyday and there'll be a definite difference.

Do stretches every day, even if you don't work out. Any time you're bored during the day, drop and do 10 push ups, or get down and do thirty sit ups. Waiting for your mate to come around so you can go out? Then grab your weights and start curling (just remember to spray some deodorant afterwards, eh?)

A good way to test your strength is the old arm wrestle. It's a good way of measuring how far you've come, for both of you. So arm wrestle your mate now, then again in a few months. If you're both working out it'll take a lot longer for one of you to beat the other. If it's just you, chances are you'll beat him in a flash.

OK, in a few months, if you keep going to the gym as well as doing stuff at home, or just doing stuff at home if you don't have an available gym, you'll be developing a six pack, your shoulders will get bigger, and you'll know how to throw a punch (from shadow boxing)

Don't abuse your new found abilities, and don't forget - there are bound to be about 10 other kids in your year that work out too, and have been doing it for a lot longer than you have

Hope this guide helps, and don't forget - pain is for the weak

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.