GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A quick question for web developer types."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/10/07 at 15:42
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
ASP.NET

1) What is it, exactly? It's a language? It's not a language? It's a 'framework'? What does that mean? I guess: How does one do things with it?
2) Is it useful? (as in: would it have a positive effect on my career options)

(Final year module choice o_o)
Mon 22/10/07 at 14:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
A load of blurb copied from another site and a link to msdn's guide on asp.net's security guide. Interesting post. :)
Mon 22/10/07 at 10:32
Regular
"We are not alone..."
One of the best things about ASP.NET is the ability to easily separate code into different modules, unravelling presentation code from application logic.

This allows developers with different skills sets to work on their area of speciality simultaneously (e.g. web designers working on HTML code while programmers work on ASP.NET code). Because of its object-orientated nature, ASP.NET also promotes code reuse.

In ASP.NET, there are several features that can be used to make the code reusable and independent of other code. These features are: user controls, server controls, HTML controls, custom controls, components, and the code behind method.

Here's a valuable ASP.NET resource:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954798.aspx
Wed 10/10/07 at 14:38
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Oh and VB is an experience I had at sixth form, which I do not
> wish to repeat :P

*shrug* In .NET language choice is mainly a matter of syntax preference.
Wed 10/10/07 at 14:09
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
We will be expected to write stuff but as far as I'm aware we will have pretty much free choice over which language. I think it's assumed we'll be able to pick up what we need quite quickly.
I don't know, the first lecture was less than clear. It's just my module choice became complicated a few days ago and I was trying to decide between this one and something else, though it looks like I'll go with this one, thanks Gain.

Oh and VB is an experience I had at sixth form, which I do not wish to repeat :P
Wed 10/10/07 at 00:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Is C# a good language to go with then? As I understand it they
> teaching emphasis won't be on teaching the language.

Well ASP.NET works with any .NET implemented language so entirely possible you'd ignore C# all together. If they've just interested in the concepts that using ASP.NET promotes then I'd bet any examples/coding would be done in VB.NET as its the easiest to pick up. Depends on the goals of the module really.

> I'm
> familiar with C, Java and a few others - think it'd be easy to
> pick up?

Its not radically different to any other language. Its a cross between C++ and Java.
Tue 09/10/07 at 22:09
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Garin wrote:
> Is google down? :P

Okay, fine :P

> 2) Is it useful? (as in: would it have a positive effect on my
> career options)
>
> Sure, .NET/C# are among the top wanted skills now.

Is C# a good language to go with then? As I understand it they teaching emphasis won't be on teaching the language. I'm familiar with C, Java and a few others - think it'd be easy to pick up?
Tue 09/10/07 at 16:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> ASP.NET
>
> 1) What is it, exactly? It's a language? It's not a language?
> It's a 'framework'? What does that mean? I guess: How does one
> do things with it?

Is google down? :P

> 2) Is it useful? (as in: would it have a positive effect on my
> career options)

Sure, .NET/C# are among the top wanted skills now.
Tue 09/10/07 at 15:42
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
ASP.NET

1) What is it, exactly? It's a language? It's not a language? It's a 'framework'? What does that mean? I guess: How does one do things with it?
2) Is it useful? (as in: would it have a positive effect on my career options)

(Final year module choice o_o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.