GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thank 'The Gas'!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/03/02 at 20:04
Regular
I bet that when some of you read the title you thought i'd either be praising gas for what it's done for our lives at home, or, it'd be about something funny like farts polluting the planet!
Well, you'd be wrong either way!

But if you're mandatare, then you'd probably have a better chance of guessing right!

Yes, i'm on about Bristol Rovers in the 3rd Division (LOL!!) and what they've done to keep the Premiership and lower divisions in England alive, with a flock of their own home-grown talent!

Believe it or not, quite a few top Brittish-strikers began their careers in Bristol! And these players have worked their way upto the top, from right down nearer the bottom! They truley are hard-working footballers, and that's hard for me to say as a City fan!

Barry Hayles - The Fulham striker was one of the best strikers in the Nationwide League during his early years in Bristol, and has also proven that he can still do the job at a bigger club, and even in the Premiership!
He was linked with one or two other Premiership clubs, which proves what a hard-working quality goal-scorer and footballer he really is!
He's the type of player who's proven the hard work really does pay-off!

Nigel Martyn - We all know who this guy is! And we all know that he's one of our best keepers and could be no.1 for this summers' World Cup. But did you know he began his career all those years ago at Bristol Rovers!??
I bet no-one thought that he'd go all the way up from the gas to Elland Road, and then onto International Fotball!!
A truly astonishing career, and one he's worked hard for!
I wonder where he'd be if he hadn't started at Rovers??

Marcus Stewart - The Ipswich striker had a fantastic season last year, scoring goals at his own will! After form like that you wouldn't believe where he started and that it was only his FIRST season in the Premiership!!
You may have noticed due to his strong Bristolian accent though, but even after a move to Huddersfield, I don't think he could've predicted a career like this!
Is an England call-up too far away???

Jason Roberts - Ok, so West Brom aren't in the Premiership.
But if you're paying £2m for a Second Division player, then he has to be worth the money!
Like at Rovers, Roberts (who's also related to Cyril Regis) has proven in his goal-scoring form that he's worth every penny spent on him, and more! He was so highly rated at Rovers that one or two from the Premiershiphad their eye on him!
In the past, he has been nominated as an outside contender for an England call-up. And I think that a move to a bigger club, nearer the top, would get him nearer to his dream!

But Roberts actually started at rivals City! But that didn't stop those 'gas heads' from taking on the City-reject and helping him become something great!

Jamie Cureton - The only reason Cureton was 'given away' for £250k was due to bad behaviour off the pitch, invloving the Chairman's daughter! Aside from that, he was a top-young-player, and was one that Rovers wouldn't have let go so cheaply, if he'd kept his nose clean off the pitch.
He is still a brilliant talent, but I think he'll never get the recognition he deserved, due to past-experiences.

Andy Cole - Like Roberts, Cole was rejected byhis first club and ended up in Bristol. But this Arsenal-reject turned into an Ashton Gate hero with goal-after-goal before a loan move to Fulham, and then spells with Newcastle, Man Utd and Blackburn.
Did you see him in the Wirthington Cup final?? He may be a flop for England, but he's a true talent at club level, and thanks to Bristol City, he was able to show that!

So it's now just Rovers who we should thank, rivals City (my team) deserve some praise for helping some no-hopers make it to the big time! Maybe we'll see more from the Bristol teams in the future??

Nathan Ellington of Bristol Rovers could be the next big thing, and he's yet ANOTHER striker! He's already caught Charlton's eye for one, and they've already made a £3.5m enquiry for his services!! He's definitley one to watch out for in the future, especially after that hat-trick against Derby in the FA Cup!!
At City, Aaron and Marvin Brown could be the next players we read about coming from the Bristol area. But with a manager like Danny Wilson and the chance of Div.1 football next-season, it's unlikely that they'll be rushing off anywhere!

So look out for more young player cropping through from the youth ranks in the lower leagues...
Sat 02/03/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I bet that when some of you read the title you thought i'd either be praising gas for what it's done for our lives at home, or, it'd be about something funny like farts polluting the planet!
Well, you'd be wrong either way!

But if you're mandatare, then you'd probably have a better chance of guessing right!

Yes, i'm on about Bristol Rovers in the 3rd Division (LOL!!) and what they've done to keep the Premiership and lower divisions in England alive, with a flock of their own home-grown talent!

Believe it or not, quite a few top Brittish-strikers began their careers in Bristol! And these players have worked their way upto the top, from right down nearer the bottom! They truley are hard-working footballers, and that's hard for me to say as a City fan!

Barry Hayles - The Fulham striker was one of the best strikers in the Nationwide League during his early years in Bristol, and has also proven that he can still do the job at a bigger club, and even in the Premiership!
He was linked with one or two other Premiership clubs, which proves what a hard-working quality goal-scorer and footballer he really is!
He's the type of player who's proven the hard work really does pay-off!

Nigel Martyn - We all know who this guy is! And we all know that he's one of our best keepers and could be no.1 for this summers' World Cup. But did you know he began his career all those years ago at Bristol Rovers!??
I bet no-one thought that he'd go all the way up from the gas to Elland Road, and then onto International Fotball!!
A truly astonishing career, and one he's worked hard for!
I wonder where he'd be if he hadn't started at Rovers??

Marcus Stewart - The Ipswich striker had a fantastic season last year, scoring goals at his own will! After form like that you wouldn't believe where he started and that it was only his FIRST season in the Premiership!!
You may have noticed due to his strong Bristolian accent though, but even after a move to Huddersfield, I don't think he could've predicted a career like this!
Is an England call-up too far away???

Jason Roberts - Ok, so West Brom aren't in the Premiership.
But if you're paying £2m for a Second Division player, then he has to be worth the money!
Like at Rovers, Roberts (who's also related to Cyril Regis) has proven in his goal-scoring form that he's worth every penny spent on him, and more! He was so highly rated at Rovers that one or two from the Premiershiphad their eye on him!
In the past, he has been nominated as an outside contender for an England call-up. And I think that a move to a bigger club, nearer the top, would get him nearer to his dream!

But Roberts actually started at rivals City! But that didn't stop those 'gas heads' from taking on the City-reject and helping him become something great!

Jamie Cureton - The only reason Cureton was 'given away' for £250k was due to bad behaviour off the pitch, invloving the Chairman's daughter! Aside from that, he was a top-young-player, and was one that Rovers wouldn't have let go so cheaply, if he'd kept his nose clean off the pitch.
He is still a brilliant talent, but I think he'll never get the recognition he deserved, due to past-experiences.

Andy Cole - Like Roberts, Cole was rejected byhis first club and ended up in Bristol. But this Arsenal-reject turned into an Ashton Gate hero with goal-after-goal before a loan move to Fulham, and then spells with Newcastle, Man Utd and Blackburn.
Did you see him in the Wirthington Cup final?? He may be a flop for England, but he's a true talent at club level, and thanks to Bristol City, he was able to show that!

So it's now just Rovers who we should thank, rivals City (my team) deserve some praise for helping some no-hopers make it to the big time! Maybe we'll see more from the Bristol teams in the future??

Nathan Ellington of Bristol Rovers could be the next big thing, and he's yet ANOTHER striker! He's already caught Charlton's eye for one, and they've already made a £3.5m enquiry for his services!! He's definitley one to watch out for in the future, especially after that hat-trick against Derby in the FA Cup!!
At City, Aaron and Marvin Brown could be the next players we read about coming from the Bristol area. But with a manager like Danny Wilson and the chance of Div.1 football next-season, it's unlikely that they'll be rushing off anywhere!

So look out for more young player cropping through from the youth ranks in the lower leagues...
Sat 02/03/02 at 20:12
Regular
how dare you say barry hayles was a produce of bristol rovers. his early years were spent at conferance side stevenage borough (i am a season ticket holder). he started as a young no-hoper and progressed to a promising player for the future and won us the conferance title.

but otherwise a very good post.
Sat 02/03/02 at 20:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks, and sorry for saying that about Barry Hayles.
Like I said, i'm a City fan, and I don't know everything about Rovers and the players that have been throught the club. I wasn't too sure if he did start at Rovers or not, but I knew he was their during his younger years.
At least I know now!
Thu 07/03/02 at 09:17
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
grumpyboyquinton wrote:
> how dare you say barry hayles was a produce of bristol rovers. his early years
> were spent at conferance side stevenage borough (i am a season ticket holder).
> he started as a young no-hoper and progressed to a promising player for the
> future and won us the conferance title.

but otherwise a very good post.

a stevenage fan huh.
i'm a woking fan. how much fun will we have.
and thanks for the info on the gas, appreciate it.
but isn't it funny, for the past 5 games we lost 2-1.
Thu 07/03/02 at 13:35
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Thank you Gas, for giving solskaer 24 something to talk about that interests at least one person. Just kiddin' :-D
Sun 10/03/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
We got a point!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we must be safe now.
Mon 11/03/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
mandatare wrote:
"> We got a point!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we must be safe now."

Ha! I wouldn't guarrentee you're safe, just cuz you got one point! You probably need 3 points for the next 3 games to be safe, and that just ain't gunna happen!
Even if you did end you're 6 games defeated run, it's still 7 without a win!!

And you'll soon loose Ellington - i bet!
Mon 11/03/02 at 19:21
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
A) because theres only 1 promotion place ( why i dont know )
that means we're safe. Come on. You think torquays gonna go above us?

B) of course ellington will go. everyone else has and look where they are now. Cureton settles for division 2 and look where reading are. top of their divsion.

C) i seen dwayne plummer today on my way to college. How someone who plays for a team at the bottom of division 3 can afford a new Y Redge sports car i dont know. They're payed to much for too little.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.