GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Will Resist ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball'.
Mon 02/12/02 at 20:29
Regular
Or at least admit to being interested in Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball ?

After OXM's latest preview I think we all have to admit that the graphics are stunning and a real demonstration of what the Xbox can do, even if the subject matter, half (probably less) naked ladies playing volleyball in the sun, sea and sand.

So, is this crass marketing, with Tecmo sure of a hit as male Xbox owners run off to buy it on release, or is it a genuine attempt to do something different ?

Well, you may think the first, and who could blame you. But think about it, what's actually wrong with the game's content ? It's no different from what you see people wandering around in on beaches, or in many cases, about the same as what many wear in the summer. Go take a look in your newsagents, see FHM, Loaded, GQ, and all the rest. Far more explicit and no one bats an eyelid. You see, objections about this game are far more likely to come from people who are a tad insecure about themselves. Because they're worried about what being interested in it and buying it could mean in terms of how people think of them. Me ? Yes, whilst its hard not to admit the graphics look good in terms of quality and realism, they are just graphics, though arguably the characters are about as real as most Pop Idols - pure creations and unreal.

I look at it like this; if the game gets a decent score then I will buy it because it is different. Yes, I'm sure some people will get over excited and either;

a)declare it the greatest game ever.
b)declare it the filthiest game ever that should be burnt at the stake.

No doubt various feminist groups will use it to proclaim various things, and get free PR along the way, and they'll be the usual effort to make the average male buying it feel guilty. Well ignore them, if you like it, buy it ! And if you're one of a few who, if it turns out to be crap, buys it for the content, then best of luck to you.

And finally, as I'm whining on and on here, Xbox Live content should be hilarious by the way, remember that even if you do buy it and get bored, save it, because I guarantee it will become a rare game in 1 - 2 years, and there's always people on Ebay willing to buy :)

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 02/12/02 at 23:35
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
The video on OXM and the Difference demo is so shameless. Feeling a little akward that I was watching computer generated babes play vollyball

I watched on. Then right at the end, Helena is on her laptop, typing away, not a care in the world... with her Shirt Open! Hold on a sec, but lets not go overboard. See what I mean? Breasts are in ever shot of the game. It made me laugh out loud.

Probably won't buy it. I'll see how the GAME turns out.
Mon 02/12/02 at 23:25
"High polygon count"
I'll resist it! But I won't call it the best game ever, or the filthiest.

I see this as being another Wreckless, to be honest - a game that is little more than a tech demo - something to show off "what the Xbox can do", while slapping in some minimal gameplay elements as an after-thought.
Mon 02/12/02 at 21:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hey I'm not ashamed to admit it - this game is already pre-ordered by me and has been for the past few months. ;-))
Mon 02/12/02 at 20:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Or at least admit to being interested in Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball ?

After OXM's latest preview I think we all have to admit that the graphics are stunning and a real demonstration of what the Xbox can do, even if the subject matter, half (probably less) naked ladies playing volleyball in the sun, sea and sand.

So, is this crass marketing, with Tecmo sure of a hit as male Xbox owners run off to buy it on release, or is it a genuine attempt to do something different ?

Well, you may think the first, and who could blame you. But think about it, what's actually wrong with the game's content ? It's no different from what you see people wandering around in on beaches, or in many cases, about the same as what many wear in the summer. Go take a look in your newsagents, see FHM, Loaded, GQ, and all the rest. Far more explicit and no one bats an eyelid. You see, objections about this game are far more likely to come from people who are a tad insecure about themselves. Because they're worried about what being interested in it and buying it could mean in terms of how people think of them. Me ? Yes, whilst its hard not to admit the graphics look good in terms of quality and realism, they are just graphics, though arguably the characters are about as real as most Pop Idols - pure creations and unreal.

I look at it like this; if the game gets a decent score then I will buy it because it is different. Yes, I'm sure some people will get over excited and either;

a)declare it the greatest game ever.
b)declare it the filthiest game ever that should be burnt at the stake.

No doubt various feminist groups will use it to proclaim various things, and get free PR along the way, and they'll be the usual effort to make the average male buying it feel guilty. Well ignore them, if you like it, buy it ! And if you're one of a few who, if it turns out to be crap, buys it for the content, then best of luck to you.

And finally, as I'm whining on and on here, Xbox Live content should be hilarious by the way, remember that even if you do buy it and get bored, save it, because I guarantee it will become a rare game in 1 - 2 years, and there's always people on Ebay willing to buy :)

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.