GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/10/07 at 22:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'm on BT Option 3 if that has anything to do with it, and I have the limited edition black Home Hub from BT.

And the problem is as follows:
Every single night, and most mornings, usually starting from about 10:30-11pm, and lasting until anytime during the morning, or sometimes all day if it doesn't sort itself out by lunchtime, my computer and very often Kevin's computer will lose their connections to the wireless interface. That is, we cannot wirelessly connect to the Home Hub. On the wirelessly-connected computers, the Home Hub appears to disappear from My Network Places when this occurs. Also when this problem occurs, it usually does reconnect for about 60 seconds max, then it'll cut off again, and that's how it'll behave at night. It's even doing it now as I type this at 10:40pm.

As far as I can tell (but prove me wrong if you can, please) there is absolutely fudge all wrong with the settings of the Home Hub, and there is nothing to suggest that it is instructed to switch off at night.

It's really fishing me off, every single fudging night, when it simply shouldn't for any reasons whatsoever. Please can anyone help?

Thanks
Sat 06/10/07 at 22:47
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'm on BT Option 3 if that has anything to do with it, and I have the limited edition black Home Hub from BT.

And the problem is as follows:
Every single night, and most mornings, usually starting from about 10:30-11pm, and lasting until anytime during the morning, or sometimes all day if it doesn't sort itself out by lunchtime, my computer and very often Kevin's computer will lose their connections to the wireless interface. That is, we cannot wirelessly connect to the Home Hub. On the wirelessly-connected computers, the Home Hub appears to disappear from My Network Places when this occurs. Also when this problem occurs, it usually does reconnect for about 60 seconds max, then it'll cut off again, and that's how it'll behave at night. It's even doing it now as I type this at 10:40pm.

As far as I can tell (but prove me wrong if you can, please) there is absolutely fudge all wrong with the settings of the Home Hub, and there is nothing to suggest that it is instructed to switch off at night.

It's really fishing me off, every single fudging night, when it simply shouldn't for any reasons whatsoever. Please can anyone help?

Thanks
Sat 06/10/07 at 22:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
If it's happening at the same time is there a possibility that something from outside is interfering with it?
Probably not related but i'm with BT and occasionally i have to reset the router. My pc will lose it's connection for no reason while my sisters works perfectly. It's something to do with resolving the ip address. Mine went out on 1am Friday morning, i suspect because BT f**ked it up. I know i got it back briefly under a different ip address. Maybe at busy times BT are changing where you're connected from and your pc isn't updating. (This made more sense in my head)
Sat 06/10/07 at 23:11
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
There are about 4 other wireless access points within range, all Bt Home Hubs except one, which is a Belkin wireless G router.

I guess it could possibly be them interfering . Or it could even be our BT Synergy digital cordless phones that we have i nthe house. We have three of them.

But this doesn't explain why the problem doesn't happen during the day.

Well, it does, but far, far less frequently than it does at night. It might be the IP thing, but how do I fix that? If I reset the router, then my bro has a go at me for medling with it, and apparently it only ever does it because I touch it...

And I'm supposed to have a ND in ICT. That's why I can't figure out the problem - because it just doesn't add up.
Sat 06/10/07 at 23:22
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Resetting the router can sometimes be more trouble than its worth. If it works then great, if it doesnt you end up with only one pc working because they're not synchronised, then you'll likely have to reinstall the whole thing.
Best bet is just to get onto BT. It may just be a minor powercut of some sorts, which can sometimes wipe out the router until it works itself out.
Sat 06/10/07 at 23:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
BT Home Hubs are notoriously bad. You mention other wireless networks being in range, can you change the channel the hub operates on and does it make any difference?
Sat 06/10/07 at 23:32
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Something has just come to mind. I dont particularly understand why but something like Utorrent has been known to screw my connection. If its happening at the same time maybe it's because thats when someone's downloading from it.
Sun 07/10/07 at 10:49
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Garin wrote:
> BT Home Hubs are notoriously bad. You mention other wireless
> networks being in range, can you change the channel the hub
> operates on and does it make any difference?

Yes, I can change the channel setting, but no, it doesn't make a difference.

I guess Nin's suggestion about uTorrent is feasible too, but what can I do?

We have used other routers too - we used to have a USR 8054 Wireless Turbo Access Point and Router, which was simply brilliant until we actually secured the network. I mean, over-secured it, if that's possible. It worked fine until we enabled MAC filtering and a 256-bit WEP key. After that, we has massive connection problems to the wireless on that. So I let my brother try to sort it, because even though I have an ND in ICT, he still knows more than me apparently. HE looked at the router settings, didn't understand them, and just clicked on Restore to Factory Defaults, hence with all these other people around us, we had no security whatsoever.

But that router then fried in a power surge. So we got a Buffalo W545 or something like that. Set up a 128-bit WEP key and no MAC filtering to avoid "over securing" as Kevin put it, but same problem. KEvin came to the conclusion that someone was leeching off our network when that started to disconnect and run slow too - despite the fact that there was no-one else listed in the DHCP records of the router, which he doesn't know exist.

Now we're on the Home Hub, and same problem.

So, I don't think it's the router as such. It might be something environmental, but what do you think?
Sun 07/10/07 at 18:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The wireless on HomeHubs isn't too bad. There are a lot of routers out there with worst performance. All routers using standard wireless technology (not MIMO) are susceptible to interference of some kind, especially in built up urban areas.
You HomeHub isn't sitting near a windows at the front of the house is it? Near to where street lighting is. Street lighting can cause wireless interference and sync problems with some ADSL connections. Changing the wireless channel may not have worked simply because the wireless output power isn't high enough and there's little you can do to change this. One thing you could try is running a wireless computer right next to the router and see if that gets a dropped connection too. If it does then it more likely to be just a problem with the router.
Mon 08/10/07 at 01:34
Regular
Just a thought,

As you mention that it happens during more "off-peak" hours and someone else said something about torrenting. Do you happen to be running any torrents when it gets unreliable?

It might be because you are running too many connections to the internet and the router can't handle it. This would probably affect the wireless using the router's CPU/RAM. It would also explain why it clears itself up, because when the wireless drops the torrent connections also drop.

It's just a thought, but if you are using torrenting software, try knocking the number of connections down (just say 10 connections for now, it's very low, but if the problem clearly up you know what it is).

PS. 'ello Eccles!
Mon 08/10/07 at 23:34
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
wharrad wrote:
> Just a thought,
>
> As you mention that it happens during more "off-peak"
> hours and someone else said something about torrenting. Do you
> happen to be running any torrents when it gets unreliable?

I am currently downloading one torrent which very rarely exceeds 10Kbps downoad speed, however upload is quite often about 20kbps. But the problems were around before I began this torrent yesterday. Before this torrent, I hadn't used BitTorrent in several months, perhaps even a year.

Eccles wrote:
> You HomeHub isn't sitting near a windows at the front of the
> house is it? Near to where street lighting is.

The Home Hub is at the front of the house and near a window, but the nearest street lighting is at the back of the house, just over the garden's length away (about 10-15 metres from the back of the house). Also, all our windows are double-glazed UPVC.

> Changing the wireless channel may not have worked
> simply because the wireless output power isn't high enough and
> there's little you can do to change this.

Regarding this point - Microsoft's website suggests upgrading to a more directional "hi-gain" antenna for the router, but I don't know if the Home Hub supports any other antennas. In fact, I can't remember if it's even possible to remove the antenna from the Home Hub at the moment.

> One thing you could
> try is running a wireless computer right next to the router and
> see if that gets a dropped connection too. If it does then it
> more likely to be just a problem with the router.

I'll try that and get back to you on this one - my mum's PC is pretty much right next to it, and it has it's own wireless network adaptor (USB), but because of problems being able to stay connected despite it being the only computer in the house where the wireless signal reached "Excellent" in the Zero Wireless Configuration Utility, it still barely remained connected for long enough to do anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.