GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"a quick PS2 broadband question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/12/02 at 08:30
Regular
i already have ADSL with a USB modem, will the new adapter act as a modem or will i have to purchase an ethernet modem
Tue 03/12/02 at 23:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> adrian wrote:
>
>
>
> I don't refute *anything* that adrian says, as I've never used ADSL -
> and what he's said all sounds perfectly reasonable.
>
> However, there was a video on a recent PSM2 coverdisc which showed the
> PS2 being connected to a broadband service, and it was simplicity
> itself. There were no routers or anything like that, so from what
> adrian's said, I assume this was cable broadband and not ADSL.

Yes it probably was a Cable connection. XBox can also do that you just plug in the Cable modem into the back of the Ethernet and that is it. Thats the direct connection method. Maybe Sony will release a new way of connecting PS2 to ADSL which makes it this easy, but I assume that the ways the XBox uses will probably be used for PS2 as well. It really is easy to use a router or a ICS method. Nothing that hard to set up, as XBox configures everything automatically.
Tue 03/12/02 at 18:24
"High polygon count"
adrian wrote:

I don't refute *anything* that adrian says, as I've never used ADSL - and what he's said all sounds perfectly reasonable.

However, there was a video on a recent PSM2 coverdisc which showed the PS2 being connected to a broadband service, and it was simplicity itself. There were no routers or anything like that, so from what adrian's said, I assume this was cable broadband and not ADSL.

Basically, you plug the adapter into your PS2's expansion bay, connect it to your cable modem, switch on and boot the startup disc that comes with the adapter.

Then you give the software your usual login information for your ISP (username, password) which is saved to your memory card (this is safe, because PS2 memory cards use MagicGate encryption), and the software then connects your PS2 to the internet and you're ready to go.
Tue 03/12/02 at 14:02
you take things really seriously dude, i suggest a nice long walk in the park. And maybe a massage. kiss kiss
Tue 03/12/02 at 13:30
Regular
"Complete Banker"
skineddy wrote:
>gaystaion

Now THAT's original!!

>will never support broadband because it was never desighned to

Really?? I thought it was always Sony's intention to add BB functionality at a later date??

>buy an x box.

That explains it!

>PS2 was never deighned to use broadband, and it'll never even go online,

But it already has in both Japan and the US - Dur!

> playstaion3 in 2005 which wont be as good as X-BOX2 anyhow which is
> released on the same day.

Wow!! Someone so high up on BOTH Sony and Microsoft that he knows both the Spec and release date of their respoective next gen consoles!!!

Skineddy - please go away and take your fanboy-isms with you.
Tue 03/12/02 at 11:30
hahhahahaha if you want my advise on ps2 broadband heres what you should do, take your gaystaion, and its totally disfuctional modem slot that will never support broadband because it was never desighned to, put it back in its box, stick it in your car, drive to any good shop throw it out the window on the fastest bit of road you can find and buy an x box. PS2 was never deighned to use broadband, and rumor has it, it'll never even go online, theyre gonna save it for playstaion3 in 2005 which wont be as good as X-BOX2 anyhow which is released on the same day. Vice city is the only reason to have a gaystaion.
Tue 03/12/02 at 09:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
You will probably have to link it up to your PC or a router just like you do with the XBox. You will then need the Ethernet adaptor for the PS2 to hook your PS2 to the router or the PC's network card. With ADSL a direct connection wouldnt work as its ADSL and not Cable that your using.

Look at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live /beta/choosetype.htm (remove space)

This will give you an idea of how to hook your PS2 up to the internet.

Cable is the only broadband that can connect directly to the ethernet port as it uses the ethernet RJ45 cable end.

A router would require you to have a network card in your PC to hook the router to it. The router must also have a modem built into it as the router replaces your modem. This will then allow you to have your PS2 online while your PC is turned off.

Connection sharing would require a network card in your PC, and then a crossover cable linking the PC's network card to the ethernet adaptor on the PS2. Then you need to connect the PC to the internet as you normally do, and set properties to allow for internet connection sharing(ICS). Once this is done you can use the PS2 online, but you need to keep the PC on.

Of course all the above is refered to how XBox Live works, seeing as they are probably practicly the same, only the PS2 doesnt have the ethernet port built in. I can say that these methods above will probably apply to the PS2.
Tue 03/12/02 at 08:53
Regular
I seriuosly doubt that the drivers for the PS2 broadband adaptor will come with support for USB devices. Idividual software programs will have to support a USB device, which I doubt to be likely, but you never know these days.
Tue 03/12/02 at 08:30
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
i already have ADSL with a USB modem, will the new adapter act as a modem or will i have to purchase an ethernet modem

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.