GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Andrew WK - I Get Wet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/03/02 at 21:17
Regular
Not that many people have heard of Andrew WK. They are an uprising young band that is hoping to get some attention, and in my view, they have, with not only two excellent singles ("Party Hard" and "She Is Beautiful"), but also this decent album, titled "I Get Wet". Before I begin my review, here's a little unresearched information about the band. The singer is named Andrew WK and he has a band of three cohorts with him - two on guitar and one on drums. I'm not sure how this is physically done, but there is also a piano in most of the songs, so I suspect that WK plays the piano (he definitely plays it, I know that) with a microphone next to the piano. What people have to do to be famous! I can assume that they come from New York (or so I think the “I Love NYC” track implies). Anyfudge, here is my review of their first album - "I Get Wet".

The first track somewhat comes over as a filler, running at a short 1:32, does "It's Time To Party". It really gets you ready for the rest of the album and is one of those "Introduction to Destruction" songs. The song really speaks about getting ready for the party, which is of course, the next song ("Party Hard"). I was somewhat annoyed by WK's voice, which although went well with the music, was too high for my liking.

After the short prelude, we carry on with "Party Hard", the group's premier single, which received critical acclaim whenever spoken about. This song features many catchy guitar riffs, along with memorable lyrics and an overall feel-good look to it, which delivers greatly. This really reflects on what "It's Time To Party" left off from, speaking about the party and so on. Is there another song about cleaning up the rubbish after the party? Wait and see... :0)

Well, no, the next song is about a "Girl's Own Love", as the title (read back a few words!) implies. It begins a lot differently to the previous two tracks, with a repeating piano tune, and the other instruments slowly meandering one after the other. After the drums, the guitar slowly builds up and explodes into the main beat of the song. It does sound a little weird at first listen, hearing a deep-voiced man singing about girls etc, but you will get used to it after a few minutes. This song dabbles on girls, their wants and their needs. A decent song, and hey, it's true to life! :0)

The next track is one of my least favorite songs on the disk, or so I thought, in "Ready To Die". After about 30 seconds of music that sounded like it was out of Mario (with an ending theme too! :D), we blast into a great song, with some cleverly dark lyrics about death. The tune can be a little overbearing on the chorus, but the lyrics go very well with the music, both dark and depressing. Something I loved about the track was the way that it changes from being lively and excitable to something that is truly evil, speaking about death. Near the end, it creates a pastiche, mixing both to make a slapdash sound, which sounds great!

"Take It Off" begins quietly, with a long, slow and hard riff, collaborated with WK's voice. A drum beat joins the fray and some fine guitar riffs jump in there too to accompany WK's "Get ready to...", which appears at some point during every song so far, which we have become accustomed to by now. This is a more abstract track than the rest, straying away from the tried and tested formula that the others have undoubtedly kept to, with very little piano playing, and some female session artists in the background singing the "Take It Off" chorus. A decent enough track, but not one of my favorites.

The following track gets straight into the “action” if you like, speaking of their love of New York City, which I presume is their hometown, which is aptly titled “I Love NYC”. It begins abstract, like the last song, but is a decent enough song to keep you listening for its length. The song features a nice guitar tune and some average drumming. The vocals are probably the best on the album, and I’m sure that the speaking of the love of NYC really lightens up everyone, especially after the recent terrorist attacks there. A feel good song, without a doubt!

Following up, attempting to hold the benchmark is “She Is Beautiful”, an amazing song in it’s own right. We begin with some nice guitar riffs, before a second guitar joins in and the rest of the song welds together from there to form “She Is Beautiful”. The song repeats for a while, before changing to an excellent solo riff, with drum beats dotted around – a true punk rock masterpiece of music! The song sings about a girl who is beautiful, but is she the one for him?

We continue with “Party Til You Puke”, a song that after a few listens will have you dancing around the room to like a becrazed maniac! The beat is incredibly catchy, and the singing is also very memorable. It once again lingers at the party issue that this album is so renound for, and tells you to (and I quote), “Party Til You Puke”. Excellent…(I think)

The “fun” continues with “Fun Night”, a song I presume about partying etc, and that you should have fun. It could have numerous meanings, mind you. The beginning of the song is painful to listen to, as the opening lyrics sound very blood curdling, which may be a sign to down the volume for this one. However, it soon sorts it self-out and we have a pretty average track here. The lyrics are nothing special, but a great guitar melody irradiates any problems there.

“Gotta Keep Goin’” blasts through next, with a heavy yet soft-hearing riff signaling the beginning of the song. This song is more a determination track than anything else, which would be played just when the Football team is two goals down and have to fight back. It has some decent lyrics that make you feel good about yourself if you’re down on your luck and just angry with your life – it will give you some sort of mental boost to go on and continue.

The CD begins to come to a close with the one-before-last, entitled “I Get Wet”. This has some decent rhythms, but WK’s high voice once again comes into play, forcing me to turn it down after a minute at most. I really don’t know what to make in the means of a morale of meaning to this song, except he gets wet, if that makes any logical sense :0) A decent enough song, and the ending is the highlight, fading off very well monstrously.

The CD ends with “Don’t Stop Living In The Red”, once again swaying from the formula that the rest of the album covers, utilizes and flaunts like hell. With a slower feel overall, it sounds more like a glorified love song than anything else, but it still a good ending to the album, as it leaves you walking away with a nice feeling in your gut. If somewhat a bit sappy, it’s still decent enough to listen through for the short 1:40 that it lasts for.

“I Get Wet” is an excellent album, which is surprising when put into account when it only lasts for 35 minutes! It shows us a lighter side to the current trend of angry musicians, and the piano is an ingenious touch to what is an above average album. Get their current singles “Party Hard” and “She Is Beautiful” to find some common Andrew WK. Get “I Get Wet” now!

Thanks for reading,
Shaun
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:12
Mystique wrote:
> Why are you on the net at ten past seven in the morning?

I need something to fill my mornings before going to school.
Mon 04/03/02 at 20:14
Regular
Ah,say no more
Mon 04/03/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Andrew W.K

Boring and crap... and two singles sound same.
Mon 04/03/02 at 16:46
Regular
Why are you on the net at ten past seven in the morning?
and who is Andrew WK?
Mon 04/03/02 at 07:10
Mr. Happy wrote:
Ditch Media player
> Shaneo, it sucks for copying CD's - Nero and Easy CD Creator are worthy
> replacements.

I use Easy CD Creator :0)

My new computer has Nero, which I hate, so I'm gonna install Easy CD on instead. When I'm putting some files (drag and dropping), it doesn't put them straight there with Nero, but does with Easy CD.
Sun 03/03/02 at 23:06
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
$h@ne0 wrote:
> Heh, Grix and the conversation with his brain :0)

90 minutes!? Don't you mean
> 64 (650MB) or 70 (700MB)?

tut tut

Who's got a new computer with Windows XP and is using Windows Media player to copy cds?

If you are using any other cd-writing software bar Media player, then a 650MB cd can fit 74 minutes of music on to it

(the length of one of Beethoven's symphonies, allegedly that's why they are 74 minutes)

If you have lots of money then you can really go to town on 80 minute cds, which are 700MB. Think of it as Beethoven's symphony - Directors Cut.

Ditch Media player Shaneo, it sucks for copying CD's - Nero and Easy CD Creator are worthy replacements.
Sun 03/03/02 at 19:12
Heh, Grix and the conversation with his brain :0)

90 minutes!? Don't you mean 64 (650MB) or 70 (700MB)?
Sun 03/03/02 at 17:39
Regular
$h@ne0 wrote:

"It's 35 minutes long! Grrrr."

That's better?

(Of course it is, you mong. It's ten minutes better.)

I mean, relativily. If that's a word. Since you can fit 90 mins on a cd.
Sun 03/03/02 at 08:39
saviour of sheep wrote:
> $h@ne0 wrote:
Dave Grohl & Co rule! You've probably
> heard The One, an
> excellent song! :0)

Yeah, it is a great song. So is monkey wrench.
> I'm gonna get atleast two of their albums. Don't wanna be your monkey wrench...
> :)

Same here pal! :0) Monkey Wrench is also very good, as is Breakout, which is on the soundtrack to Me, Myself and Irene.

"And if his album is only 25 mins long then I think it's defintiley not worth getting!! Especially if his first 2 singles are the best songs - like released singles usually are!"

It's 35 minutes long! Grrrr.
Sat 02/03/02 at 19:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've heard 3 of his songs, and to me, they're all pants!
I've heard that 'It's time to party hard' one (or whatever it's called, NOT 'party hard'!) and that was just pants too!
It's not rock music, and it sounded like something that'd appeal to little kids only!

And if his album is only 25 mins long then I think it's defintiley not worth getting!! Especially if his first 2 singles are the best songs - like released singles usually are!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.