GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Medal Of Honor: Airborne (PC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Medal of Honour: Airborne'.
Sat 06/10/07 at 09:17
Regular
"Captain to you."
These days it’s is quite common to see a few new FPS titles each month released on the PC, the majority of these are just your generic shooters, open door blast enemies, collect and item or throw a switch and then exit the level and repeat. All this is presented in a very linear fashion.

Medal Of Honor: Airborne strives to overcome that linear aspect by allowing the player to decide where to start the level and what objective they are to go after first. The game manages to achieve it’s goal quite well and it does mean that levels can be played over with a little less repetitiveness than your average fps. The main problem is that although you can pick which order you do the level in and where you start at the end of the day you do have to complete all the level objectives and end up going to the same places and get the same results.

Personally I would have made it so that if you complete two of the missions the future missions take a different turn depending on what you did the level before. I realise of course this would just create far more work and they would probably have to increase the cost of making the game considerably. Hopefully it’s something that we might see in the not to distant future so that play a game through more than once is fun and stays fun and not just a repeat of what you did the first time.

You play as one the Paratroopers at the end of the Second World War. You drop in from planes and often can pick to land in one of three areas. When I say pick I mean steer your parachute to that location as you fall, often though it’s hard to spot all the landing locations by the time you are on the ground so you’ll need to be quick with looking around and steering.

Graphically MOH: Airborne is very nice, models are well detailed and there are plenty of options in the video setting to bump up if you can. Unfortunately there is an issue with Anti aliasing , as even with it set to 16x there are still some jaggies on edges although very reduced. This I think is the same problem that Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R had but Bioshocks was only very slight and due to the type of lighting where as MOH: Airborne’s is almost as bad as S.T.A.L.K.E.R’s was.

Sound wise the game is great with 5.1, there are plenty of back ground noises and of the fighting in other parts of the level, they main issue I have, and that I have with a lot of games is the repetitive speech from enemies. There doesn’t seem to be more than 5 German voice tracks and they don’t seem to have much in the way of vocabulary. Often you will just get annoyed at them yelling when a grenade lands near them.

MOH: Airborne does give you a squad of sorts to fight with, these are infinitely respawning men that seem to just be set to move on when the enemy are all dead or to fire until they are. There is no control over them and often you’ll just be lining up a headshot only to have one your guys stand right in front of you. It’s tried to make it feel like you are part of something, but really you end up doing most of the work yourself and randomly finding your guys standing around doing nothing.

The game does however like previous MOH titles feel often like you are playing in a movie, due to decent story and some great set pieces. Often when a new objective appears you will get a short in game movie which sets the scene for the next mission although often it results with you being out in the open and enemies already firing at you.

MOH: Airborne is a good game and well worth checking out either on demo or if you are already a fan of the series just go get it. But be warned it is quite short in my opinion but it is at least entertaining all the way through which is the important thing.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 06/10/07 at 09:17
Regular
"Captain to you."
These days it’s is quite common to see a few new FPS titles each month released on the PC, the majority of these are just your generic shooters, open door blast enemies, collect and item or throw a switch and then exit the level and repeat. All this is presented in a very linear fashion.

Medal Of Honor: Airborne strives to overcome that linear aspect by allowing the player to decide where to start the level and what objective they are to go after first. The game manages to achieve it’s goal quite well and it does mean that levels can be played over with a little less repetitiveness than your average fps. The main problem is that although you can pick which order you do the level in and where you start at the end of the day you do have to complete all the level objectives and end up going to the same places and get the same results.

Personally I would have made it so that if you complete two of the missions the future missions take a different turn depending on what you did the level before. I realise of course this would just create far more work and they would probably have to increase the cost of making the game considerably. Hopefully it’s something that we might see in the not to distant future so that play a game through more than once is fun and stays fun and not just a repeat of what you did the first time.

You play as one the Paratroopers at the end of the Second World War. You drop in from planes and often can pick to land in one of three areas. When I say pick I mean steer your parachute to that location as you fall, often though it’s hard to spot all the landing locations by the time you are on the ground so you’ll need to be quick with looking around and steering.

Graphically MOH: Airborne is very nice, models are well detailed and there are plenty of options in the video setting to bump up if you can. Unfortunately there is an issue with Anti aliasing , as even with it set to 16x there are still some jaggies on edges although very reduced. This I think is the same problem that Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R had but Bioshocks was only very slight and due to the type of lighting where as MOH: Airborne’s is almost as bad as S.T.A.L.K.E.R’s was.

Sound wise the game is great with 5.1, there are plenty of back ground noises and of the fighting in other parts of the level, they main issue I have, and that I have with a lot of games is the repetitive speech from enemies. There doesn’t seem to be more than 5 German voice tracks and they don’t seem to have much in the way of vocabulary. Often you will just get annoyed at them yelling when a grenade lands near them.

MOH: Airborne does give you a squad of sorts to fight with, these are infinitely respawning men that seem to just be set to move on when the enemy are all dead or to fire until they are. There is no control over them and often you’ll just be lining up a headshot only to have one your guys stand right in front of you. It’s tried to make it feel like you are part of something, but really you end up doing most of the work yourself and randomly finding your guys standing around doing nothing.

The game does however like previous MOH titles feel often like you are playing in a movie, due to decent story and some great set pieces. Often when a new objective appears you will get a short in game movie which sets the scene for the next mission although often it results with you being out in the open and enemies already firing at you.

MOH: Airborne is a good game and well worth checking out either on demo or if you are already a fan of the series just go get it. But be warned it is quite short in my opinion but it is at least entertaining all the way through which is the important thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.