GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No Topic"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/09/00 at 19:48
Regular
A bit misleading the title may be, but it has something to do with what I shall write.

Plots in games, are usually rather thin. Well they used to be anyway, (Can you think why you were a yellow blob and ate pills?) but thankfully, games are using plots in games now much more often, and sometimes the plot is so good, you get enchanted into the game, and get very attached to it. Games such as Half-Life, Deus Ex, Zelda even X Wing Alliance!

So. I would like to know what game everyone thinks had the best plot or story, and why. Come on, I know theres something that really changed the way you look at games, so spit it out.

I shall go first, me thinks.

The game I think had the best plot, at the moment, is Deus Ex. At first, things seem sketchy, but once you are into the game, and the wonderful ideas and concepts are made, it becomes very involving, and quite emotional at times. (I just wouldn't let my brother die! It took me a while, and after setting loads of traps, I saved him and we both escaped.
You actually want to replay certain parts if you hear about someones death or something that has happened, you want to change the past, something not possible in life (aparanttly) but possible in games.

Anyone else?
Thu 28/09/00 at 19:48
Regular
A bit misleading the title may be, but it has something to do with what I shall write.

Plots in games, are usually rather thin. Well they used to be anyway, (Can you think why you were a yellow blob and ate pills?) but thankfully, games are using plots in games now much more often, and sometimes the plot is so good, you get enchanted into the game, and get very attached to it. Games such as Half-Life, Deus Ex, Zelda even X Wing Alliance!

So. I would like to know what game everyone thinks had the best plot or story, and why. Come on, I know theres something that really changed the way you look at games, so spit it out.

I shall go first, me thinks.

The game I think had the best plot, at the moment, is Deus Ex. At first, things seem sketchy, but once you are into the game, and the wonderful ideas and concepts are made, it becomes very involving, and quite emotional at times. (I just wouldn't let my brother die! It took me a while, and after setting loads of traps, I saved him and we both escaped.
You actually want to replay certain parts if you hear about someones death or something that has happened, you want to change the past, something not possible in life (aparanttly) but possible in games.

Anyone else?
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:07
I must say, I am not a big adventure game man myself, but if I had to decide what the best plot ever is, it would have to be a toss up between FFVII and MGS. I think the coin would firmly land on the side of Final Fantasy VII, simply because the plot actually drives you to play the game, despite those frustating random battles. It is the only game I have played and truly thought 'I really want to know what happens next', which is what makes it a great game.

I do not think that plots should always be an integral part of a game, but only when it adds to the game. The premise of games, ever since Pong, is to repeat a task over and over with varying levels of difficulty. Even though, nowadays, games hide this fact in numerous ways. Even intricate games like Metal Gear Solid just involve shooting guards and solving simple puzzles - the plot and different 'arenas' just blur this fact.
The only games which don't have consistent gameplay fail miserably - just look at Tomorrow Never Dies. The reason you like a certain game is because you enjoy doing this task - and vice versa for hating a game.
I can see that game plots are getting better (Deus Ex, as you point out, is a good example), and they will also feature more in games as we enter the next-gen, but I still believe games are about playing, not watching.
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:10
I must say, I am not a big adventure game man myself, but if I had to decide what the best plot ever is, it would have to be a toss up between FFVII and MGS. I think the coin would firmly land on the side of Final Fantasy VII, simply because the plot actually drives you to play the game, despite those frustrating random battles. It is the only game I have played and truly thought 'I really want to know what happens next', which is what makes it great.

I do not think that plots should always be an integral part of a game, but only when it adds to it. The premise of games, ever since Pong, is to repeat a task over and over with varying levels of difficulty. Even though, nowadays, games hide this fact in numerous ways, intricate games like Metal Gear Solid still just involve shooting guards and solving simple puzzles - the plot and different 'arenas' just blur this fact.
The only games which don't have consistent gameplay fail miserably - just look at Tomorrow Never Dies. The reason you like a certain game is because you enjoy doing this task - and vice versa for hating a game.
I can see that game plots are getting better (Deus Ex, as you point out, is a good example), and they will also feature more in games as we enter the next-gen, but I still believe games are about playing, not watching.
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:11
Oops - posted it twice. Sorry!
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:14
Regular
It's been really quiet at the moment. There's been not alot of posts. I think we've almost wrote everything we know about it. We need a new topic as popular as the originality one. Come on people let's liven up this place!
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:26
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
This is a hard question, because the games I own don't have story they just have great gameplay or Multiplayer modes, Nintendo aren't known for their imaginative story lines, they are the same, bad guy captures good guys girlfreind good guy captures/kills bad guy then saves the good gal and lives to fight another day, you can change this for every game, e.g. Perfect Dark, good gal saves captured good guy(floating/talking laptop) is then captured again and would have been rescued but had some moral issues about being the only thing to save the world, blah de blah, new mission, save the world from new bad guys!(wow, as if one type of war obssessed aliens wasn't enough they decided to have some aliens that just happened to be fighting the bad guys for a long time and new how to work their machines and steal their technologies. You fight you way through a few missions saving the last surviving good alien guys, which then lead you to bad guy spacships destroying weapons capable of destroying the world as we know it, but is not yet completed! it's so unexpected that then blows up with alittle help from the morally guided laptop, you then find the hidden bad guy planet which hasn't been found.....ever!! you kill the bad guy king and save the good guys from being evntually invaded and kept as tiny slaves which fan you during the evening and serve you breakfast in bed in the morning, and you also save our planet from total destruction.

but, this isn't my favorite game, ha ha.
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:29
Regular
Of course! Its science fiction, it HAS to have aliens in it somewhere...
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:40
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I guess so, my fav game has got to be Soul reaver for story line, but has pretty shocking gameplay and a badly dressed character,
I think Conkers Bad furday has my top spot, it's really original, it's an RPG, I hate squirrels but this ones red so I can't shoot it, and after some serious sucking up and keeping advertising clear from my letters SR have decided to give me a game!!! I'm so lucky, this doesn't mean that i will leave as soon as it arrives in my letter box, so don't think you'll get rid of me like the others, this site is easy to operate and fun to see people like you fighting it out with witty comments, cool.
Thu 28/09/00 at 20:57
Regular
Take the game as your offical membership Fogmaster...
Actually, I hate any science fiction film with aliens in, it seems so cliched... The plots of science fiction films without aliens are so much better, I just can't think of any at the moment.
Thu 28/09/00 at 21:24
Sooooooooo
you don't like the Alien films then
not even ALIEN RESURECTION that was good
oh and yes it is a playstation game also but that doesn't mean that it is s***e

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.