GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Duke Nukem what a creation."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Duke Nukem'.
Tue 03/12/02 at 17:51
Regular
A guy with the charm of James Bond and equiped with enough variety arensal to kill a large army has got to be a God! Some of you may or may not have heard of the lady's man. In case you didn't know, the ass-kicking, obnoxious, scum-eating, hero of coolness is Duke Nukem. A long, long time ago, Apogee came up with the idea for a hero who just loved kicking butt and being a lady's man. Well, ever since this virtual character was created, he has inspired an overwhelming amount of mature games.

The great things about mature gaming characters is that they always have a sense of coolness over themselves. There was the obsession of Lara Croft, the eliteness of James Bond, and even the hero from Diablo II. But the one and only man who inspired the mature gaming genre was Duke Nukem. I remember the first two side scrolling Duke Nukem games that came out, and they were very interesting. You'd hear various quotes from Duke Nukem, and how he was just a butt-kicking maniac.

Then, with the release of Duke Nukem 3D, that's when his popularity rose to stardom. For the first time, you took the role of man who could blow things to pieces and get the ladies at the same time. In certain parts of the games, there were strippers who would shake their boobies for $100 bills. It brought thrill into the gaming rather than a serious, I'm gonna go down bravely approach. Not only was the game fun, but certain cutscenes were so funny that the game HAD to be rated Mature. I mean, how often do you see the hero rip off an alien's head . That was definitely a first for me.

If anything though, Duke Nukem was probably the first male role you'd enjoy playing. I remember how you could look in the mirror and hear Duke say, "Damn, I'm lookin' good."

It's quotes like those that inspire us to go around saving the world from violence-seeking aliens. Plus, he had an overwhelming arensal of rockets, machine guns, shotguns, pistols, and even pipe bombs. After gamers played through Duke Nukem 3D, then they understood what a mature game was all about. In case you didn't notice, most violent mature games spawned after the release of Duke Nukem 3D. I know that Doom and a few others were out before the game, but DN3D was the first game to actually have a funny character and add to the depth of the game.

Apogee would never realize what they had created until the many years later. Now that 3D Realms has taken over, the legend of Duke shall live on through the gaming business. Hopefully, you'll respect the lady-loving, violence machine sometime in the future.
Tue 03/12/02 at 17:51
A guy with the charm of James Bond and equiped with enough variety arensal to kill a large army has got to be a God! Some of you may or may not have heard of the lady's man. In case you didn't know, the ass-kicking, obnoxious, scum-eating, hero of coolness is Duke Nukem. A long, long time ago, Apogee came up with the idea for a hero who just loved kicking butt and being a lady's man. Well, ever since this virtual character was created, he has inspired an overwhelming amount of mature games.

The great things about mature gaming characters is that they always have a sense of coolness over themselves. There was the obsession of Lara Croft, the eliteness of James Bond, and even the hero from Diablo II. But the one and only man who inspired the mature gaming genre was Duke Nukem. I remember the first two side scrolling Duke Nukem games that came out, and they were very interesting. You'd hear various quotes from Duke Nukem, and how he was just a butt-kicking maniac.

Then, with the release of Duke Nukem 3D, that's when his popularity rose to stardom. For the first time, you took the role of man who could blow things to pieces and get the ladies at the same time. In certain parts of the games, there were strippers who would shake their boobies for $100 bills. It brought thrill into the gaming rather than a serious, I'm gonna go down bravely approach. Not only was the game fun, but certain cutscenes were so funny that the game HAD to be rated Mature. I mean, how often do you see the hero rip off an alien's head . That was definitely a first for me.

If anything though, Duke Nukem was probably the first male role you'd enjoy playing. I remember how you could look in the mirror and hear Duke say, "Damn, I'm lookin' good."

It's quotes like those that inspire us to go around saving the world from violence-seeking aliens. Plus, he had an overwhelming arensal of rockets, machine guns, shotguns, pistols, and even pipe bombs. After gamers played through Duke Nukem 3D, then they understood what a mature game was all about. In case you didn't notice, most violent mature games spawned after the release of Duke Nukem 3D. I know that Doom and a few others were out before the game, but DN3D was the first game to actually have a funny character and add to the depth of the game.

Apogee would never realize what they had created until the many years later. Now that 3D Realms has taken over, the legend of Duke shall live on through the gaming business. Hopefully, you'll respect the lady-loving, violence machine sometime in the future.
Tue 03/12/02 at 18:52
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
*See my "sequels" post for my view on "the duke"
Tue 03/12/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Duke Nukem? A guy with the charms of James Bond? Somehow I don't believe you.
Tue 03/12/02 at 19:43
Duke Nukem is a boring, mindless shooting game for airheads which just fink, bang bang gun!!!!!
Tue 03/12/02 at 19:44
Azul˛°°˛ wrote:
> Duke Nukem? A guy with the charms of James Bond? Somehow I don't
> believe you.

Well... he gets the ladies :) Well the virtual ones :P
Tue 03/12/02 at 19:47
GaryDark wrote:
> Duke Nukem is a boring, mindless shooting game for airheads which just
> fink, bang bang gun!!!!!

Well that's great, you opinion would count to me if you gave some reasons. Of course there is faults with some Duke games, but he has inspired a lot in my opinion.
Tue 03/12/02 at 19:51
The Eternal Shadow wrote:
> GaryDark wrote:
> Duke Nukem is a boring, mindless shooting game for airheads which
> just
> fink, bang bang gun!!!!!
>
> Well that's great, you opinion would count to me if you gave some
> reasons. Of course there is faults with some Duke games, but he has
> inspired a lot in my opinion.

THX 4 not takin it personally dude (i got new nickname but i still gazdark)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.