GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Rise and Fall of Western Gaming- by neilc"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/03/02 at 15:21
Regular
Hey people- this is a topic made in chat by a newbie called neilc. Since he's a newbie, he can't post in Prime, so I thought I'd put it here for him- it's very, very good!:

Gaming used to be such a bright place for the European and American developers. Having home brewed consoles ranging from the Spectrum to the Atari Jaguar as well as little input from the Japanese market, the Western game industry was set for great things.

Inevitably, things had to change. First came the wave of Japanese consoles- well supported with original games, these had no problem in undoing the Western manufacturers’ consoles. Companies like Atari- once the jewel of gamers all over America and Europe- died slowly into the night. So unimaginable was this collapse that Atari logos were seen all over futuristic films- most notably in the suburban wasteland of Los Angeles in Blade Runner.

And it was not only the manufacturers that were hit- developers were faced with tough opposition. Nintendo and Sega refused to grant many publishing right to Western developers, meaning that they couldn’t produce games on their consoles. It looked like the days of Western game development were numbered.

However, things were soon to change…

In a small development house, two brothers were hard at work on producing games for Japanese consoles, but printing them on their own carts. These two brothers were, of course, the Darling brothers- creators and owners of Codemasters. Of course, Nintendo and Sega didn’t like this- no longer could they control who made games for their consoles. So, they tried to sue the company on the basis that it was their hardware, and they should be allowed to control who made games for it. Both cases failed and Codemasters continued to make their own game carts.

This once again opened the game market to scores of Western developers. Massive publishers like EA grew and flourished, and began to dominate certain genres- like Sports games. Other developers led to huge innovations- inventing genres like First Person Shooters. Western game development was back at the top.

And it doesn’t just stop there. Now we see a complete circle with, for the first time in decades, a Western-made console being a serious contender to the dominant Japanese platforms. No doubt the Xbox will lead to yet more rejuvenation and interest in gaming in the West, and could well have Microsoft dominating the console market in the next generation.

For Western gaming the future is a very bright place indeed. Along with the strength of Western publishers and the massive amounts of Western gamers, we can now boast to be a serious contender in the console scene too… let’s just hope it stays that way!

neilc
Tue 05/03/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
> Seems like another case of brand name over quality eh
> Sonic?

hmmm... wonder where you go that idea from sibs?

Sonic ;)

You know me... always innovating new ideas! ;-)
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
lol- I doubt mine'll win (it's just commedy... although it saya lot about games), but neilc's seems pretty good from the sounds of it- he knows his games inside out!

Sonic
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Damn you Sonic!

I had a GAD attempt coming for tomorrow.

Maybe I'll just leave it until Wednesday. You're too good

:D
Mon 04/03/02 at 21:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
haha- I knew it was good!

Oh, neilc knows it's here- I've spoken to him on MSN... we were just talking about some new topics we've been throwing around... I have a commedy one coming tomorrow;)

Sonic
Mon 04/03/02 at 18:09
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ha!

This topic won a GAD. I put this post of congratulations here because I can't find it in Chat, because of all the crap there.

Well done to this guy anyway.... I wonder if he knows we made this topic here.
Sun 03/03/02 at 19:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sibs wrote:
> Seems like another case of brand name over quality eh Sonic?

hmmm... wonder where you go that idea from sibs?

Sonic ;)
Sun 03/03/02 at 18:04
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Seems like another case of brand name over quality eh Sonic?
Sun 03/03/02 at 15:54
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, Atari aren't really making games- the games are being made by the company that owns the Atari brand, and being sold with the logo on the boxes. From what I know, the games don't have any of the Atari staff working on them :(

sonic
Sun 03/03/02 at 10:19
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Transworld sufing for Xbox is one I think.
Sat 02/03/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
what games are Atari actually making at the moment?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.