GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheesy Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/12/02 at 20:42
Regular
Cheese and gaming have a lot in common. Both being fairly popular they’re sold worldwide, with this there are many different varieties of them to suit everyone’s tastes, sharing many things in common such as different shapes, sizes, and smells. Some are better than others and people always have their favourites, or the ones they hate with a passion. Its beyond me why the two have never been related before, its not exactly a link like bread and butter, but none the less, im sure…..you all….see the connection.

You may be thinking “what the hell is this guy on?”, now normally I would forgive you for thinking that, but not this time. The relationship between the two is as strong as the relationship between Les Dennis and Amanda Holden, truly immense. So, im sure you’re all dieing to know where the link between the two came from? Well, it’s fairly easy to make out. Many games share many properties of many cheeses out there, and thus:

Welcome, to Cheesy Gaming.

Now, for some people, this idea may go right over your head when first thinking about it, but fear not my fellow readers, im going to take you into the world of cheesy gaming, slowly, but so you come out having learned a bob or two.

Among games and cheese alike come many different types and genres, and these are the main things that form this formidable connection between the two, and in many cases, it’s just a case of common sense!

Our first cheese is a little one known as ‘Cheddar’. Ask anyone in the world the name of a cheese and more often than not, this is the one that comes off the tip of his or her tongue. It’s the most popular in the world. For games to be this popular, they have to be very good indeed, and it’s the likes of GTA, Mario, and Sonic that often fall into the category with Cheddar. Cheddar's flavour can vary from mild to extremely sharp and its texture can range from firm but smooth to dry and almost crumbly, depending on the age of the cheese, and this is much the same for these games. The older versions of these games offer smooth game play with sharp actions, yet, showing there ages means that often they crumble compared to the more up to date games. Yet the newer versions, while being firm in terms of graphics, use old dry ideas, and aren’t always that much kop. While cheddar is mainly used as a cheese to grate, the newer games often leave your teeth grating!

Moving on, a cheese called ‘Colby’ is one that is thought of as an American original, such is this theory it was named after the American town in which it was invented. This type of cheese, is what is known as a "washed curd” cheese, which, im sure you agree, is what most of American games that reach our shores are, complete curd. This cheese is soft and moist running parallel to games based on an American ideal. NHL, Madden and the odd baseball game ect fall into this area. These games being washed up games from other sports, that no one other than Americans play. Which leaves us with the perfecting fitting phrase “What Utter Curd!”

Farmhouse cheese is produced using raw milk, and this is where all the games with new, original and containing Raw ideas coming in. No games such as GTA come here, nor do the likes of Sonic, this is the place for games like Jet Set Radio, Rez and Fantavision come in. However, as with this cheese, during its ageing process there are a build up of certain acids which means, if not eaten at the correct time, it goes bad. This is a common case with games. Developers don’t let go of the old new ideas, and keep re-using them over and over, rendering their games to become bad. It’s a tricky one this link, on one hand its great with its new innovation, but things can quickly turn sour!

Next we have the ‘Baby Swiss’ cheese. Famous for its sweet taste, light and bright colours and creamy texture, this is the perfect relationship between that of the nice games out there. Disney games, Super Monkey Ball and so on all share same characteristics aiming to be sweet little games of light humour and nothing too taxing. Light on plot lines and bright on nice wonderful colours. It would be fair to call these games the baby games of the world….but the ninties wouldn’t like it.

There’s always going to be the older methods, and therefore older types of cheese out there. ‘Brie’ is one of those. Originating in the 13th century this cheese holds strong links with the older, more mature games that have been ported onto the new consoles. Such classics as the likes of Final Fantasy Anthology and the old Namco Museum games did this, and to some success too. The cheese is tangy when eaten, much like the games offering that ‘nice’ feeling when playing for the first time, but as with too much drinking of tango, and too much eating cheese and too much playing these games, things soon put a nasty taste on your tongue, and with the dated graphics of the games, your eyes.

Of course, these are the main cheeses of the world, but there are many more versions that no one has heard of, usually for the right reasons.

We have the likes of the Bakers cheese, an old-world, all natural, no fat, unripened cheese, holding many connections with the Army Men games. Blah!

Then we have ‘Camembert’ cheese, an externally-ripened cows-milk cheese, sharing the graphical prowess of The Bouncer, yet, both taste and game play or very foul indeed.

And finally, we have the ‘Spreads’. The cheese that tries to cover everything in sight, such is the likes of the many games like Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter, often having a dabble at many many types of genre within the game. Id tell you more about this type of connection, but it’s a secret, and I fear you might….em….’spread’….it.

Ahem

But as you can see, the connection between both Games and Cheese is a formidable one, the two are barely inseparable, often living lives that are so far between each other, but yet so near.
I hope this has given you an incite into this strange, yet un-explored world, both of tastiness and often bitterness.

And what’s more, I hope you enjoy, your ‘Cheesy Gaming.’
Thu 05/12/02 at 19:37
Regular
"Max Power"
i feel sick i just looked at this post and i rememberd when i had cooked sliton cheese *pucks* *really does*
Thu 05/12/02 at 17:18
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Anyway, having read Microchips's post it seems that only the titles
> clash, so thats ok.
>
> Sorry for the copyright of your title.

Heh, as I said, it's no problem. And as ssxpro said, they are indeed totally dfferent.

:)
Wed 04/12/02 at 23:19
Regular
"Touched!"
Hmm i don't like cheese too much...but i like this post, nice one, mate, i'll write more tomorrow night, work has tired me out!
Wed 04/12/02 at 12:04
True, it was shame about the first few replies, as you say the only connection between the two are titles, but the content is totally different, and equally, if not better in this one.
Wed 04/12/02 at 09:56
Regular
ReDdY˛°°2 wrote:
> I thought this had been posted bye Microchips :-S

Oh dear. Not again. Its getting stupid now. Please read both topics before you make stupid comments like that. The posts are very, very different, sharing only the title and a couple of cheese names. They are discussing totally different things though, and are both totally original topics. I had the same thing with a topic I recently did. The first few replies I had were from people saying the title was the same. Had they read both topics? Nope, that would require effort. Its the same thing here. Pro Evo has come up with a new and funny topic that we should just enjoy and discuss, not complain about.

So, to the point, an excellent topics! At first, I was a little worried when you put GTA under cheddar... I thought that meant boring with not much variety, but as you pointed out, cheddar does in fact have more variations than a lot of other cheese, so it was a good choice for games of that kind. Personally I would have loved to see Stilton make an appearence, but it would be tough to match a game with it. Perhaps extreme sports titles like THPS3... Lots of exciting blue bits, and a great sense of excitement, but in the end, you end up smelling pretty bad, either sweaty or cheesy.

When I read "spreads" I did wonder if you were about to mention BMX XXX, and go into dangerous territory, but congrats on keeping it all safe, I hadn`t thought of putting platformers there, but it worked. One other thing though, it would have been cool if you could have added Wallace's comments "Not even Wensleydale?", but that'll have to be saved for a less serious topic :D

Anyway, great topic, see ya around!
Wed 04/12/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Always nice to read an original post around these parts, especially on cheese!

:-)

title's of posts have be repeated in the past and it's hard to keep up with what others are putting in as titles for their posts, the content of posts is the most important thing and this post certainly made me laugh.

Weldone.
Tue 03/12/02 at 21:29
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Anyway, having read Microchips's post it seems that only the titles clash, so thats ok.

Sorry for the copyright of your title.
Tue 03/12/02 at 21:19
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well, erm. Yes.
Tue 03/12/02 at 21:19
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
how do you think up these articles (good article though)
Tue 03/12/02 at 21:17
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Those cheese people still visiting you regularly, Dame?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.