GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Confess."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/12/02 at 21:14
Regular
Gaming: The sport of people who aren't good at real sports, the refuge of the social outcast.

The main consumer of these games, who are serious about computer games, can be classified as a geek, a nerd, a computer boffin. Say what you will, it all means the same thing. A nerd, or geek is a derogatory term used to generally insult people who enjoy those things electrical in life. I openly confess, to all of you here, that I can be classified as a geek.

I am interested in how much ram you have in your computer, I take pleasure in knowing what the clocked speed the three major next gen consoles have. I took a survey to see how many times out of 20 blocks, a four-line block was achieved in tetris, when a tetris combination is achievable, (game lovers will inderstand my fear that tetris is against me.) Nevertheless, though I am proud of this knowledge, I only tell it to you here, because you will have no impact on my life (probably), and a lot of you here will also be classified as "geeks". But why? What is the publics obsession, with not paying attention to the fasted growing games market and dismissing it as a bad and nerdy thing, when buying tickets to all of enrique englasias' england tour dates, is perfectly acceptable?

Again, I torticollis, will attempt to solve this perplexing oddity of public stereotyping and try to explain, why we nerds, don't really mind, and happily walk around the streets wearing a see through t-shirt, with our best magic cards displayed for all to gaze at in wonder, this time in two harder to swallow tablets.

1. The obsession: You will often during the world cup season, find grown men crying. Why? Because "their" team have lost, failed, so, they go punch some people who look mildly brazillian. A grown man, the age old symbol of maturity and knowledge, resorting to childish behaviour and punching people or/and crying about a game. In England, this is taken as standard, nothing surprising. A man is not questioned for his sanity when he tells his nextdoor neighbour that "his" team is playing his "neighbour's" team in ten years time two months on, five days, 3 hours and 20 minutes and about 5 seconds. This is bordering on birdwatching here. Such a level of obsession, and it is considered standard. Now a gamer who buys a game every month, and just knows that (n) is released in (n) time, is considered a geek. Not a casual fan of football, a loser. Someone who shouldn't be hung around with except within the geek circle of comradeship. I've seen girls frown upon boys reading gaming magasines, but never over boys reading "match of the day magasine" so I know this is true, at least in capital England area. I see boys looking shiftily around before running into "game" stores and running out after purchasing a game, hiding it from the public's skeptical glare. So we know that gamers aren't respected for what they are good at (gaming, as opposed to footballers being praised for being good at football.)
But why do gamers or "nerds" generally not give a flying bird and bear about this view on their "kind"? Why do nerds continually express their nerdiness without fear? Why is bulbasaur the 1st pokemon? I mean, charmander obviousy beats its veggy ar*e into the ground.

2. The shameless obsession: The answer isnt that hard to see, but I don't think that I am neccessarily stating the obvious, because many people haven't thought about this before (unless if they are geeks). Nerds are so used to being excluded, or frowned upon, that they don't care about what the mainstream thinks, not in an underground way, but in an almost denial way. Nerds will eventually think that the mainstream thinks wrong, and maybe even look down upon the mainstream for ignoring games, and nerd sports (i.e dungeons and dragons, magic cards, warhammer). Also, though nerds have been outcast from one popular community, they have simply founded their own, and thats all they need in terms of computing and the suchlike knowledge. The invention of internet forums, being one of these. One can re-invent their personality, or be themselves without fear of exclusion from a forum like the SR ones, themselves, a haven for nerds and those who are in denial about being nerds. The fact that they ignore what people think, is not neccessarily good, but it keeps the nerd community going, and keeps the eternal bulbasaur vs charmander question going. And in the end, If we are all part of the community and enjoying themselves (whilst staying within legal perameters) then its just wholesome communicationaly fun.

Heres to the internet forum.

Torticollis.
Thu 05/12/02 at 17:16
Regular
"Spanish Hardcore"
SO!
Thu 05/12/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Evenstar"
he's a she....
Thu 05/12/02 at 17:01
Regular
"Spanish Hardcore"
torticollis wrote:
> Oh well. I guess arwen wins for spamming and successfully
> outconfusting me AND smerc. Damn newbie thinks he's better than me
> with stupid lord of the rings name. I'll show him lord of the rings.

Ho, Ho, I will show him lord of the rings aswell
Thu 05/12/02 at 16:56
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Oh well. I guess arwen wins for spamming and successfully outconfusting me AND smerc. Damn newbie thinks he's better than me with stupid lord of the rings name. I'll show him lord of the rings.
Thu 05/12/02 at 16:51
Regular
"Spanish Hardcore"
torticollis wrote:
> Ahh. Arwen follows the stereotype of the type of person that
> stereotypes other people..... I think. No... I'm just confusted.

You also got me confussed there.
Thu 05/12/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Ahh. Arwen follows the stereotype of the type of person that stereotypes other people..... I think. No... I'm just confusted.
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:30
Regular
"Evenstar"
oh well
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:29
"Darkness, always"
but most of them don't though.

I am one of a very few exceptions. Most gamers probably struggle to pronounce their own names, much less use a qualifiable level of the english language.
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:29
Regular
"Evenstar"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> There is nothing better than having a
> conversation with someone who can use a rich level of full english.

so that's why you dont like talking to me.
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:28
Regular
"Evenstar"
and i also said at the beginning that I didnt class qeeks as people who went on computers.... it just so happenes that a lot of the people i describe do go on computers....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.