GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We need more Co-Operative Games!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/12/02 at 08:07
Regular
"Why we need more Co-Operative Games"

People enjoy playing other people. Competition has always been in mankind, and it always will be. Everyone gets satisfaction out of beating another person on a test score, or making the cut before someone else did. However, as a gamer and from experience, playing on a team is what makes humanity civilized. Could you imagine if we were all savage animals? Well, the gaming world works in a similar way. When you play with other gamers online as a team, you feel a sense of pride, or enjoyment. That's why our army is so organized, they work as a team. Now imagine if every game on the market had the ability to be played as co-operative, the possibilities are endless!

When you invite a friend over, you might have played a co-operative game before. A co-operative game is where you and another or multiple players play as a team against an opposition. A good example would be Counter-Strike, or Team Fortress. Both of these games have co-operative teams heading up against each other. Also, co-operative means you can play as a team and face the computer. One of the biggest co-op games on the internet is Diablo II. Everytime you join a game and you see another player, you are acting as a team of one. Anyhow, co-operative games bring out the light-hearted side of people. Rather than having envious wars and constant flaming of another person because they might be cheating, you have a nice peaceful gaming session with everyone helping each other out. Plus, you gain much more fun acting as a team of one since you can interact with your friends and accomplish tasks together.

For example, during the weekend, my friend and I played TMNT 2, Contra, and Super Contra all in co-operative mode. The experience was fun and delightful. Not only was there constant joking and kicking of the enemy's butt, but we completed the game together.

Still, the main reason why developers do not develop co-op modes in their games is because:

Extra Programming
Game must have a multi-player mode
You see, many companies like Squaresoft and Konami makes single-player adventures that don't have the resources to be able to be played as a team. Could you imagine if you played Final Fantasy 7 or Metal Gear Solid as a team? I surely couldn't. But you see, now with the next generation of systems frowning upon everyone, developers are realizing that co-op games is what sells. I remember how I use to play Duke Nukem 64 with a friend and we almost did the entire game together. However, the game didn't sell too well because 3DRealms never bothered in exploiting these modes. A good example of a game that made excellent use of the Co-op mode was Perfect Dark and Contra.

In Perfect Dark, there were overwhelming options of being able to choose your co-op character and even use teamwork in shooting the bad guys. The same goes with Contra. You and your friend could do tasks much quicker and easier. Your partner could shoot the minions, and you could shoot the bad guy's weak point. These are the types of things that help us enjoy co-operative games to the full extent. Now that companies like Blizzard have realized this, now you understand why they're million seller games. They're co-operative modes are so fun and amazing. Hopefully the new online RPGs for the consoles will have something to offer to the gaming world (aside from the 2-player NES games like Bad Dudes VS Dragonninga).

Thanks for reading.
Wed 04/12/02 at 08:07
"Why we need more Co-Operative Games"

People enjoy playing other people. Competition has always been in mankind, and it always will be. Everyone gets satisfaction out of beating another person on a test score, or making the cut before someone else did. However, as a gamer and from experience, playing on a team is what makes humanity civilized. Could you imagine if we were all savage animals? Well, the gaming world works in a similar way. When you play with other gamers online as a team, you feel a sense of pride, or enjoyment. That's why our army is so organized, they work as a team. Now imagine if every game on the market had the ability to be played as co-operative, the possibilities are endless!

When you invite a friend over, you might have played a co-operative game before. A co-operative game is where you and another or multiple players play as a team against an opposition. A good example would be Counter-Strike, or Team Fortress. Both of these games have co-operative teams heading up against each other. Also, co-operative means you can play as a team and face the computer. One of the biggest co-op games on the internet is Diablo II. Everytime you join a game and you see another player, you are acting as a team of one. Anyhow, co-operative games bring out the light-hearted side of people. Rather than having envious wars and constant flaming of another person because they might be cheating, you have a nice peaceful gaming session with everyone helping each other out. Plus, you gain much more fun acting as a team of one since you can interact with your friends and accomplish tasks together.

For example, during the weekend, my friend and I played TMNT 2, Contra, and Super Contra all in co-operative mode. The experience was fun and delightful. Not only was there constant joking and kicking of the enemy's butt, but we completed the game together.

Still, the main reason why developers do not develop co-op modes in their games is because:

Extra Programming
Game must have a multi-player mode
You see, many companies like Squaresoft and Konami makes single-player adventures that don't have the resources to be able to be played as a team. Could you imagine if you played Final Fantasy 7 or Metal Gear Solid as a team? I surely couldn't. But you see, now with the next generation of systems frowning upon everyone, developers are realizing that co-op games is what sells. I remember how I use to play Duke Nukem 64 with a friend and we almost did the entire game together. However, the game didn't sell too well because 3DRealms never bothered in exploiting these modes. A good example of a game that made excellent use of the Co-op mode was Perfect Dark and Contra.

In Perfect Dark, there were overwhelming options of being able to choose your co-op character and even use teamwork in shooting the bad guys. The same goes with Contra. You and your friend could do tasks much quicker and easier. Your partner could shoot the minions, and you could shoot the bad guy's weak point. These are the types of things that help us enjoy co-operative games to the full extent. Now that companies like Blizzard have realized this, now you understand why they're million seller games. They're co-operative modes are so fun and amazing. Hopefully the new online RPGs for the consoles will have something to offer to the gaming world (aside from the 2-player NES games like Bad Dudes VS Dragonninga).

Thanks for reading.
Wed 04/12/02 at 10:03
Good post mate. Yeah, I love Co-operative games but to me that goes in the same category as when you play teams in Smash bros or whatever, but Counterstrike is wicked for that.

Phantasy Star Online took it to a whole other level when you and a small group went around together killing enemies. Funny thing was, you could have been playing with someone from Japan, but there was a translator...
Woops...I am rambling.

Co-op Rules! (Not the Shop)
Wed 04/12/02 at 10:38
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Nice one TES. Tis true a co-operative game is often more fun than solo play (assuming that the set up is right). I'd love to play a Res Evil game with a pal or two, or an Aliens game, (smart gun please, you can have a flame thrower and you can have the pistol) that would be boss. The footy games are just awesome when you can have mates on both sides, so I'm sure all games would benefit from co-operative play.

RPG's would be challenging to make fully co-operative, especially as the emphasis is in internet gaming or solo character development like Morrowind, however Neverwinter Nights has shown the way for both "modes". It depends on how the players are going to play and how determined they are to co-operative for 100+ hours. Remember Bloodwych anyone, that was designed exclusively to be co-operative, including the fact that the spilt screen remained in place even if you were playing alone. However I a reminded of a cautionary tale: a sulky mate once threw a tantrum whilst playing this game with me, just because I saw something before he did. He then turned the computer off in a rage, without the save game being used once in about 5 hours. All was lost. So choose your game and your mates carefully!

Finally I'm glad that this isn't a thread about co-op games; no one wants to play supermarket sweep the floor or shelf stacking, box packing and customers are attacking me, sims...
Wed 04/12/02 at 10:46
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I totally agree, 2-player co-op games rule.
I loved playing Secret of Mana, Contra, Turtles in Time, Snake Rattle & Roll, Chip 'n Dale on the NES, Perfect Dark and a few more with my brother.
The latest decent co-op game is Timesplitters 2, but apart from that there haven't been that many recently.
Wed 04/12/02 at 12:31
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Me too, I'm a big fan of co-op games. I was going to mention Secret of Mana as well - a brilliant game for THREE players!
Also, Smash TV, Contra 3 to name but a few. Oh, what about Lifeforce (Salamander) on the NES? That was a great game!
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:51
Thanks for you replies, I really appriciate it. I have written several topics lately but no-one really looked at them. It' one of the best things about gaming for me 'Co-op' mode that is. I love to play along side my friends as well as against them, its great to share the fun of gaming.
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Anyone remember golden axe? Or streets of rage? Anyone?
Wed 04/12/02 at 22:18
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
torticollis wrote:
> Anyone remember golden axe? Or streets of rage? Anyone?

I own Streets of rage,

that was a great game :D
Wed 04/12/02 at 23:05
Regular
"Balls"
golden axe oww the memorys... the hatred... and greed. i get so annoyed with games that i couldnt do
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:30
Regular
Too right split screen co-operative ruls as long as you have a friend who has the patience to actually play properly.

Me and my mate recently played through TSP2 on normal and it funning rocked, even better than DM me thinks as long as you're playing with the right person. Giving each other covering fire and helping each other out is great fun!!

I was thinking about doing writing a topic but luckily you've done it fo me. Good post mate.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.