GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox: Success depends on 2nd wave of games?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/03/02 at 09:45
Regular
I don't know a great deal about the Xbox's release schedule after launch, so help fill in a few gaps for me!

I know that Jet Set Radio Future is highly anticipated, and being a Sega game, why not? But what else is to come? I've heard there's a Buffy game in the pipeline, but even though it's a popular TV franchise, will it translate into a video game that will keep the console selling?

Surely the Xbox will sell out at launch, Halo's good reviews will make sure of that. PGR and Dead or Alive 3 should keep early adapters to the life of X happy for a while, but what's next?

As I've said, I don't know, but I think the success of the Xbox depends on the strength of these titles, whatever they may be.

If they don't please the majority of Xbox-ers how long before they start to think that they've made a mistake?

It's all very well having a strong launch, but the general public aren't going to be too forgiving if Microsoft can't continue to deliver the goods.

The Playstation 2 failed miserably in this department. It took almost a year for real quality titles to appear, but they were allowed this time because of the reputation Sony had built with the original Playstation. Microsoft won't be given so long.

What do Microsoft have to keep the public happy?
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:56
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
FPS's is my favourite genre - which is why I switched so quickly from PS2 - the quality of X-Box to PS2 with FPS's are substantial. Halo, Serious Sam, RTCW, MOH I could go on...I think.

Outlaw.
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah, I've been looking at the games that are on the way and I'm really impressed. :-) Can't wait to get my hands on them when they come out !

Think I'll have a large FPS collection. ;-))
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:27
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Microsoft know what they are doing, and the lack of platformers doesn't worry me - the Gamecube will sort me out there.

The XBox launch games are some of the best I've seen in console history, and they are only going to get better and better!!
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:18
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Launch games from the X-Box should last gamers a pretty long time, and from what I've read/seen/heard more games are on their way. FPS' are in plentiful supply and so are sports, just platforms that Microsoft aren't doing too well on. As soon as other developers get to grips with how good the X-Box is and start to program for the big M - we'll be made!!

Outlaw.
Sun 03/03/02 at 14:10
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Meka Dragon wrote:
It's all very well
> having a strong launch, but the general public aren't going to be too forgiving
> if Microsoft can't continue to deliver the goods.

The Playstation 2 failed
> miserably in this department. It took almost a year for real quality titles to
> appear, but they were allowed this time because of the reputation Sony had built
> with the original Playstation. Microsoft won't be given so long.

The only reason PS2 hung in there was because for the year or so it was without competition, it could afford to have crap software. People had no other choice if they wanted a next gen system (apart from DC).

Things are different now for XBox, because if they don't deliver the goods, there will two other consoles out there for people to choose from.

Don't you think Bill Gates knows this? If us humble people can see this, then surely know it too! And for that reason you can guarantee a constant supply of quality titles.

XBox might be Microsofts first console, but they are the masters of getting what they want, and marketing it until the are number 1. They have the will, and they have the cash.
Fri 01/03/02 at 16:27
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Having a large amount of games coming out after launch may be important in some aspects, but surely it's the quality not the quantity of titles that will keep the public buying.

Outlaw.
Fri 01/03/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
For starters Buffy is shaping up to be an ace game in the survival horror mode, but perhaps less extreme than the Resident Evil series.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Microsoft hasn't thought about second wave titles, it has but only those following the console - the early adopters - know too much about them, as is the case with any new console really. By the way JSRF is now a launch title as is Wreckless :);

Battle Engine Aquila
Gun Valkyrie
Enclave
Medal Of Honour
Dino Crisis 3
Hunter The Reckoning
Project EGO
Phantasy Star
Turok Evolution
Unreal Championship
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Grimoore (from the makers of Halo :))
Conflict Desert Storm

Thats just what I can remember. You could argue that a few are PC ports, but the Xbox is effectively bringing these games to a different market so if they're good enough they'll sell.

As it is there are now 20 (just like Nintendo) games for launch day one, and 60 by June (just like Nintendo) so its looking good, far better than the Ps2's pathetic launch, despite it being a good console at the time.
Fri 01/03/02 at 09:49
"slightlyshortertagl"
its pretty simple for Microsoft, they either follow up their excellent launch titles with more high quality titles then they will succeed if not, to put it simply, Microsoft are screwed....
Fri 01/03/02 at 09:45
Regular
"not dead"
I don't know a great deal about the Xbox's release schedule after launch, so help fill in a few gaps for me!

I know that Jet Set Radio Future is highly anticipated, and being a Sega game, why not? But what else is to come? I've heard there's a Buffy game in the pipeline, but even though it's a popular TV franchise, will it translate into a video game that will keep the console selling?

Surely the Xbox will sell out at launch, Halo's good reviews will make sure of that. PGR and Dead or Alive 3 should keep early adapters to the life of X happy for a while, but what's next?

As I've said, I don't know, but I think the success of the Xbox depends on the strength of these titles, whatever they may be.

If they don't please the majority of Xbox-ers how long before they start to think that they've made a mistake?

It's all very well having a strong launch, but the general public aren't going to be too forgiving if Microsoft can't continue to deliver the goods.

The Playstation 2 failed miserably in this department. It took almost a year for real quality titles to appear, but they were allowed this time because of the reputation Sony had built with the original Playstation. Microsoft won't be given so long.

What do Microsoft have to keep the public happy?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.