GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux boot problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 20:26
Regular
Any clues what (if any) config files I can change to fix this...

When I boot linux these days I get kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs blah..blah...
The reason its doing this is because the HD with the linux partition on has become hdb, rather than hda. I've updated various files such as etc/fstab but obviously these are going to be an issue much further along in the boot process, as it is, its dying pretty quickly with that error at boot presently.

Anyway, I hope there is a solution other than a reinstall else I'll be waving bye bye to linux since its really not worth the hassle of reinstalling it.

oh its mandrake linux btw...

-G
Thu 28/02/02 at 20:26
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Any clues what (if any) config files I can change to fix this...

When I boot linux these days I get kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs blah..blah...
The reason its doing this is because the HD with the linux partition on has become hdb, rather than hda. I've updated various files such as etc/fstab but obviously these are going to be an issue much further along in the boot process, as it is, its dying pretty quickly with that error at boot presently.

Anyway, I hope there is a solution other than a reinstall else I'll be waving bye bye to linux since its really not worth the hassle of reinstalling it.

oh its mandrake linux btw...

-G
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:21
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Turbonutter would probably the best person to look out for to answer this. He knows a fair bit about linux and he should be able to offer some help.
Thu 28/02/02 at 23:54
If you're using lilo to boot, you can boot the kernel image with an option root=/dev/hd to force it to try and mount that partition as /.

For example, if lilo thinks the image is called "Linux", hold down Shift at the LILO: prompt and type:

Linux root=/dev/hdb1

Adjust to taste.

Have fun :)
Fri 01/03/02 at 03:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Thanks but that doesn't appear to be it.
I'd already updated the lilo.conf to take account of the new partition reference, still get the kernel panic. :(

-G
Fri 01/03/02 at 08:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You have to run "lilo" as root for it to update the MBR. Get a GRUB floppy off the Internet somewhere, there's one called "Tom's Root Boot Disk" that's very good. Use that to get it booted (although you'll have to ask Insomnia for instructions on GRUB).
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:07
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Ah well, took the easy way out and deleted the linux partitions, just not worth the hassle.

Thanks anyway.

-G
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wimp! ;-)

Bleh, my Mandrake "installation" went through about 4 re-installs. None of them lasted more than 10 hours usage time.
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Wimp? Hmm...just fed up with dicing with my HDs, if I have to restore the boot sectors on my HDs one more time I'll scream. :)

Btw, this all started a week ago with my trying to install redhat, no matter what I did the install process didn't wanna start, I got iso of the CDs from 2 different sources, I tried boot disks but got no where with it.

So I downloaded mandrake, I initially tried this with 2 HDs plugged in first time I installed it, it skipped the boot disk and bootloader(lilo) steps, 2nd time it installed lilo and then neither HD would boot anymore :)
So I unplugged a HD and reinstalled it, hoping this time i'd have 1 bootable HD if anything went wrong. Install worked fine, for a few hours I had a working linux. :) But then I needed the other HD back, so plugged that in. Linux wouldn't boot anymore, which brought me here. Read numerous HOW-TOs on lilo and created several boot disks, linux still refused to boot. Found a guide on lilo, did exactly as it said, ended up with an unbootable HD again. :)
At which point I deleted the partitions and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

And you know the really annoying thing? In a few days I'll be trying to install it again. :)

-G
Sat 02/03/02 at 18:55
Hm.. I should time myself installing debian from scratch.
Wed 12/06/13 at 18:59
Regular

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.