GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Save The Date - PC/Linux/Mac"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Save The Date'.
Tue 11/06/13 at 22:59
Regular
"Braaains"
Despite sounding like a terrible, terrible dating game, Save The Date is actually one of the best pieces of interactive fiction I've ever played. I hesitate to call it a game, since your options are limited to choosing a particular path, but it's hugely thought provoking. The game casts you as a guy who's arranged a date with a particular girl, your first real choice being which restaurant to take her to. You can take her to a burger bar, a chinese restaurant, or a seafood restaurant. Things go as you might expect - there's food, conversation, oh, and she dies horribly.

Wait, what? Yes. the game takes a turn for the odd in that each date seems to end with her dying. So you play the game again, and here's the clever bit. You, and your character, remember the events that have taken place, but the girl doesn't. So this time again you try to avoid her demise. It's a bit like Blind Date meets Final Destination, only without Cilla Black's head coming off.

I won't give too much more away, but things get a bit groundhog day-ish, with you playing the game again, armed with your prior knowledge, trying to save her. And does it work out? Well, I won't spoil the ending - or endings, since there a few - but the game does look at the nature of choice and just what it means to have a happy ending. And what does it mean to 'win' a game?

Okay, if you're looking for a game where you get to shoot a bad guy in the face, you're not going to find it here. Keyboard and mouse reflexes mean nothing here. If, on the other hand, you like a good story, ideally one with a few moral grey areas, then you're more than catered for. And best of all, it's free. The graphics aren't great, but they're not really the point and if you're reading this on a PC you already have a machine that can run it. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out. You can download it here.

9 out of 10

Pros:
It's really thought provoking.
It has a great storyline.
It's one of the most original games I've ever seen.

Cons:
The graphics aren't all that great.
It's not for everyone.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 11/06/13 at 22:59
Regular
"Braaains"
Despite sounding like a terrible, terrible dating game, Save The Date is actually one of the best pieces of interactive fiction I've ever played. I hesitate to call it a game, since your options are limited to choosing a particular path, but it's hugely thought provoking. The game casts you as a guy who's arranged a date with a particular girl, your first real choice being which restaurant to take her to. You can take her to a burger bar, a chinese restaurant, or a seafood restaurant. Things go as you might expect - there's food, conversation, oh, and she dies horribly.

Wait, what? Yes. the game takes a turn for the odd in that each date seems to end with her dying. So you play the game again, and here's the clever bit. You, and your character, remember the events that have taken place, but the girl doesn't. So this time again you try to avoid her demise. It's a bit like Blind Date meets Final Destination, only without Cilla Black's head coming off.

I won't give too much more away, but things get a bit groundhog day-ish, with you playing the game again, armed with your prior knowledge, trying to save her. And does it work out? Well, I won't spoil the ending - or endings, since there a few - but the game does look at the nature of choice and just what it means to have a happy ending. And what does it mean to 'win' a game?

Okay, if you're looking for a game where you get to shoot a bad guy in the face, you're not going to find it here. Keyboard and mouse reflexes mean nothing here. If, on the other hand, you like a good story, ideally one with a few moral grey areas, then you're more than catered for. And best of all, it's free. The graphics aren't great, but they're not really the point and if you're reading this on a PC you already have a machine that can run it. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out. You can download it here.

9 out of 10

Pros:
It's really thought provoking.
It has a great storyline.
It's one of the most original games I've ever seen.

Cons:
The graphics aren't all that great.
It's not for everyone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.