GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a good section/part of a game?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/07 at 12:48
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I know the title isn't all that great, but bare with me and you'll understand. Actually, now that I think about it, it's pretty self-explanatory, but anyway...

I'm a Nintendo fan personally, but am slowly moving away from it in favour of the PC, because the games are cheaper and generally better in my opinion. I don't have a Wii due to its lack of games that appeal to me. I talk to a lot of Nintendo fans on other boards, but for this topic, I wanted to have a cross-platform selection of fans to discuss it.

The majority of the Nintendo fans that I talk to agree that the storyline is what makes a good game, but how many games do you play where certain parts take ages to do, and don't really unravel much of the story, but are still possibly one of the best parts of that game to play?

Or how many games (eg. the Mario series) don't really feature the story at all except when you meet the main antagonist, yet are still brilliant games all the way through? For example, Super Mario World on the SNES is often referred to as the best Mario game ever, yet the levels really don't follow any sort of storyline. You just play level after level after level, with nothing about the story until right at the very end when you rescue Princess Toadstool from Bowser.

So I thought this would make a good discussion - what makes a good level/mission/dungeon/specific puzzle or challenge/chapter good in a game? Also, as it is quite related, what do you think makes a good map in a game? Not specifically what you do in the level/map, but the map itself - what makes a good in-game environment? Is realism really what makes a game good?
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 04/10/07 at 12:48
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I know the title isn't all that great, but bare with me and you'll understand. Actually, now that I think about it, it's pretty self-explanatory, but anyway...

I'm a Nintendo fan personally, but am slowly moving away from it in favour of the PC, because the games are cheaper and generally better in my opinion. I don't have a Wii due to its lack of games that appeal to me. I talk to a lot of Nintendo fans on other boards, but for this topic, I wanted to have a cross-platform selection of fans to discuss it.

The majority of the Nintendo fans that I talk to agree that the storyline is what makes a good game, but how many games do you play where certain parts take ages to do, and don't really unravel much of the story, but are still possibly one of the best parts of that game to play?

Or how many games (eg. the Mario series) don't really feature the story at all except when you meet the main antagonist, yet are still brilliant games all the way through? For example, Super Mario World on the SNES is often referred to as the best Mario game ever, yet the levels really don't follow any sort of storyline. You just play level after level after level, with nothing about the story until right at the very end when you rescue Princess Toadstool from Bowser.

So I thought this would make a good discussion - what makes a good level/mission/dungeon/specific puzzle or challenge/chapter good in a game? Also, as it is quite related, what do you think makes a good map in a game? Not specifically what you do in the level/map, but the map itself - what makes a good in-game environment? Is realism really what makes a game good?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.