GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"30 billion gigatixels per nano second... eh?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/02/02 at 17:54
Regular
Why do I find graphics cards so confusing? I'm sure all that fill rate stuff is really great.... but it doesn't mean much to me. And it's not like I'm a complete novice either... But anyway; at the moment I've got a GeForce 2 MX with 32MB memory, but I'm thinking of upgrading. So, here's where you come in, you techo-boffins - tell me the best card I can get, out of SR's range, for about, say, £150, and why it's the best. Is it sufficient for my gaming needs, and how future proof is it etc? Would I be better off setting my budget higher?

Cheers
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
No problem, tell us what you decide on - I want benchmark results to compare to damnit!
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:24
Thanks, you both rule :)
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ti200 and 500 are different models of the GF3, see http://nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3 for comparisons...they all use the nFiniteFX engine, I use a Ti500 myself and it's better than any other I've seen. Ti200 should keep you going fine unless you're a very hardcore gamer, but I really would advise you stay away from the GF4 for now - the performance difference doesn't justify the extra cost, and the MX is very poor, outperformed by a GF2 as Sly Fox said.
Thu 28/02/02 at 19:00
Regular
"YTS Primate"
I benchmarked two Sparkle graphics cards both of which SR sell last weekend.
Using 3dmark 2001 the GeForce 4 MX440 gave a score of 3516.
The GeForce 3Ti 200 scored a well impressive 4441. Both cards are within your budget with a stretch. The GeForce 4 MX lacks the infiniteFX Engine that’s present on the GeForce 3Ti. The Nvidia web site gives a good run down on the difference.
I think the Sparkle 3TI is very good value and it’s the one I’m going for. Alas with all
Things PC what ever you buy something better and cheaper is always just around the corner. The Geforce 4Ti will be out soon but I would expect to see that in a price bracket somewhat out of your budget. The GeForce 3Ti Should serve you well for
Sometime to come. Hope this helps.
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:46
Get a GeForce 4. GeForce are normally really good, and I'm sure that this will be no exception, and it fits your budget very nicely indeed! There may be better if you want to go a little higher, but you should be content with a GeForce 4. Either way: good luck and I hope that you get what you want.
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:35
Ok so maybe that was two questions... shutup.
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:31
Reaper[oV] wrote:
> Hm, has to be from SR? Great as your game price are, cheaper hardware places
> around...unless you'd be hunted down and shot like a traitor. I could imagine
> that, actually.

Heh, I hope not - but I might get a discount from here.

Thanks for the help - one last question though, what's the difference between a Ti200 and a Ti500? What do the numbers represent, and how much of a difference does it make?
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hm, has to be from SR? Great as your game price are, cheaper hardware places around...unless you'd be hunted down and shot like a traitor. I could imagine that, actually.

Ok, SR then..well, the GF3 Ti200s are £160, they'd last you for a while. I don't really rate the GF4s at all, very little improvement of the GF3, and the MX can't compete at all. SR don't have any others in around that price range I'd really consider, before going up to GF4 4400s and GF3 Ti500s.

Of the Ti200s...well, preferably the Creative, or the Guillemot, not much of a difference between them, all use identical chipsets, so performance is very much down to indidual batches rather than manufacturers.
Thu 28/02/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er, PCformat.co.uk, etc... They review all new cards and give them a 3DMARK score, which is the most accurate representation of quality you'll find.
Thu 28/02/02 at 17:54
Why do I find graphics cards so confusing? I'm sure all that fill rate stuff is really great.... but it doesn't mean much to me. And it's not like I'm a complete novice either... But anyway; at the moment I've got a GeForce 2 MX with 32MB memory, but I'm thinking of upgrading. So, here's where you come in, you techo-boffins - tell me the best card I can get, out of SR's range, for about, say, £150, and why it's the best. Is it sufficient for my gaming needs, and how future proof is it etc? Would I be better off setting my budget higher?

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.