GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VIP Hosting: How to enable Keep Alive?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/05/13 at 14:38
Regular
I've been trying to speed up my website a little, so I've been looking at it with gtmetrix. I have VIP hosting and I'm using Wordpress. One of the recommendations was to enable Keep-Alive.

How would I go about doing that? I don't want to fiddle with .htaccess files etc. as I don't really know what I'm doing with those yet.

Thanks!

Vicky
Mon 20/05/13 at 15:21
Regular
Thanks for that speed test link Hmmm...

Very useful.

N.
Mon 20/05/13 at 04:12
Regular
Thanks for your feedback!

There's a couple of reasons my load times aren't so good. I'm sure that you're right and that the Facebook plugin is one of them, but a lot of my traffic comes through FB so I don't really want to disable it much. I am looking for another one that has the functionality I need. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Another is the type of material I deliver, the images need to be large and high quality. The thumbnails that wordpress auto generates, however, do not. I'm trying to find something that will force wordpress to compress the images better without me having to do every one manually.

There's a lot of work to do on it yet, I've dabbled in websites since HTML tables as layouts were the up'n'coming thing, but unfortunately, I've never been able to grasp the more advanced aspects.

There's some dodgy scripts in there somewhere too, I keep getting spates of error 500. Aaaand I just logged onto my website to find out that nothing's loading properly and I can't get into my control panel, again Error 500
A scripting/config error prevents the server from showing this page.

Ugh -.- Does Freeola do maintenance at 4am? Nothing on the site has changed since yesterday afternoon, it worked fine all evening. I've disabled my plugins but nothing doing. Argh!
Sun 19/05/13 at 20:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Freeola dumped the plugin they were using and things are much faster.

Freeola 'dumped' the Facebook plugin because we all moaned about it so much that they finally 'looked' into it ;¬)
Sun 19/05/13 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I think I've found your website 'wing....' ;¬)

I can't help you with your "keep alive" query (hopefully others can) but you might like to run your site through Google's speed test tool: developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights

When I run the test on your site in the priority part of the report they mention Facebook. You might want to look at that - Facebook was recently seriously affecting the speed of this forum! Freeola dumped the plugin they were using and things are much faster.

>>Just ran the test again and it's not mentioning Facebook any more?!

I'm not sure if any of this is going to help - but I've gone this far so I'll leave the post! My Freeola broadband connection isn't the fastest line (!!!) but I can see your pages aren't exactly snappy.

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 19/05/13 at 14:38
Regular
I've been trying to speed up my website a little, so I've been looking at it with gtmetrix. I have VIP hosting and I'm using Wordpress. One of the recommendations was to enable Keep-Alive.

How would I go about doing that? I don't want to fiddle with .htaccess files etc. as I don't really know what I'm doing with those yet.

Thanks!

Vicky

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.