GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Death in Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/12/02 at 21:03
Regular
When you die in your favourite game, whatever it may be, you are usually faced with a blank screen with a dash of blood here and there saying “game over” or “you died”. This is relevant and ok in some games, but sometimes don’t you want to see the character die in agony? Ah go on, you do don’t you? Lets take a look at some of the games where the death sequence would be enjoyable viewing.

Resident Evil:

Ok, granted, you get to see the zombie lurch at your character and bite his or her neck, but you don’t hear their wimpish screams or see them desperately struggle as the last drop of blood is sucked out of their arteries. You merely hear a faint, “ow” and watch them lamely pushing the zombies shoulder. Face it, if you were been bitten by a zombie you would be screaming, “help, for the love of God get it off me, argggh” wouldn’t you? I want to see a close up of Jill falling to the floor and blood splattering everywhere. This would not only increase the games fear factor, but dissuade you from getting bitten again and give you a survival instinct.

Any 007 Game:

Take your pick of James Bond titles; they all have the same death sequence. The blood rolls down the screen and you appear back at the beginning of the level. Don’t you want to see the smarmy cocky tuxedo-wearing pillock get pumped full of hot lead or blinded by a hand grenade? I certainly do. When you fail a mission you deserve to see the consequences of your bad judgement or manoeuvre. James Bond doesn’t cry for help or shriek like a little girl in any of the films, but you could see him grimace as he clutches his bloody chest, a sight we have all wished to witness at one point in time.

Mario, (Sunshine, 64, whatever you like):

Don’t you dare tell me you haven’t prayed to see the fat chubby cheeked plumber and his handlebar moustache meet a terrible fate? In any of the games you never see anything bad happen to him, you hear his ridiculous screams but they aren’t satisfying, if you fall from a high ledge in the game he lands on his behind instead of landing on his neck and severing his spinal cord. I know Mario is the grandfather of cutesy platformers, but the mature gamers want more than a faint, “ahhh!” when he dies. I want blood and lots of it.

Age of Empires:

It’s the most important battle of the game; you have all of your siege weapons, knights and archers, which took you 4 hours to build up, at the ready, as does your enemy. You engage in battle and as both sides weaken you begin to lose, your army is worked down until there is but one brave little soldier left. This soldier keeps fighting until he is killed and the little light around him fades, but this isn’t what I want to see. I want to see the camera angle zoom in right up to his face so you can see the fear in his eyes and the sweat on his brow. I want to hear his gallant last scream as he draws back his sword, knowing his own fate is imminent. I want to feel the intensity as he is impaled by an enemy blade and the air of defeat as he drops to the ground and the war has been lost.

These are the things that would make games better and more emotional. Yes improving graphics and having a more compelling storyline involving the kidnap of the main characters child is emotional, but feeling the defeat, pain and sometimes humour of a death in a game would make it all the more undeniably real.

Thanks for reading

-kyz²²-
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
When you die in your favourite game, whatever it may be, you are usually faced with a blank screen with a dash of blood here and there saying “game over” or “you died”. This is relevant and ok in some games, but sometimes don’t you want to see the character die in agony? Ah go on, you do don’t you? Lets take a look at some of the games where the death sequence would be enjoyable viewing.

Resident Evil:

Ok, granted, you get to see the zombie lurch at your character and bite his or her neck, but you don’t hear their wimpish screams or see them desperately struggle as the last drop of blood is sucked out of their arteries. You merely hear a faint, “ow” and watch them lamely pushing the zombies shoulder. Face it, if you were been bitten by a zombie you would be screaming, “help, for the love of God get it off me, argggh” wouldn’t you? I want to see a close up of Jill falling to the floor and blood splattering everywhere. This would not only increase the games fear factor, but dissuade you from getting bitten again and give you a survival instinct.

Any 007 Game:

Take your pick of James Bond titles; they all have the same death sequence. The blood rolls down the screen and you appear back at the beginning of the level. Don’t you want to see the smarmy cocky tuxedo-wearing pillock get pumped full of hot lead or blinded by a hand grenade? I certainly do. When you fail a mission you deserve to see the consequences of your bad judgement or manoeuvre. James Bond doesn’t cry for help or shriek like a little girl in any of the films, but you could see him grimace as he clutches his bloody chest, a sight we have all wished to witness at one point in time.

Mario, (Sunshine, 64, whatever you like):

Don’t you dare tell me you haven’t prayed to see the fat chubby cheeked plumber and his handlebar moustache meet a terrible fate? In any of the games you never see anything bad happen to him, you hear his ridiculous screams but they aren’t satisfying, if you fall from a high ledge in the game he lands on his behind instead of landing on his neck and severing his spinal cord. I know Mario is the grandfather of cutesy platformers, but the mature gamers want more than a faint, “ahhh!” when he dies. I want blood and lots of it.

Age of Empires:

It’s the most important battle of the game; you have all of your siege weapons, knights and archers, which took you 4 hours to build up, at the ready, as does your enemy. You engage in battle and as both sides weaken you begin to lose, your army is worked down until there is but one brave little soldier left. This soldier keeps fighting until he is killed and the little light around him fades, but this isn’t what I want to see. I want to see the camera angle zoom in right up to his face so you can see the fear in his eyes and the sweat on his brow. I want to hear his gallant last scream as he draws back his sword, knowing his own fate is imminent. I want to feel the intensity as he is impaled by an enemy blade and the air of defeat as he drops to the ground and the war has been lost.

These are the things that would make games better and more emotional. Yes improving graphics and having a more compelling storyline involving the kidnap of the main characters child is emotional, but feeling the defeat, pain and sometimes humour of a death in a game would make it all the more undeniably real.

Thanks for reading

-kyz²²-
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Max Power"
yeah yeah yeah we all know about that
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:07
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
Nice one as always!
“help, for the love of God get it off me, argggh" - Classic!
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:08
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Good post Kyz one of the best 'Reality' ones yet.
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:13
"+ suspicious minds"
If mario had a death scream, then mario wouldn't be quite right.

picture the noise you would meke if you fell down the side of a montain, or if you live alone, or in a block of flats, make the noise yourself.

I wouldn't want to hear that every time I got knocked of a high platform. I quite like the wheezy noize he made in SM64.

good post though, well thought through.
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:15
Good post Kyz keep it up.
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:37
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Do you ever feel sorry for enemies in the game?
Do you ever think about their families or anything? Thats what I like about realistic games, not aliens and mario's and stuff but SOF games or Delta Force with real people as enemies. There is just an endless amount of enemies that surround levels and you kill them as if to say ' thats another dead'.

There was an old first person game that ruled when I was younger called Rise Of The Tirads and this was the goriest game back then. When you shot a guy a certain amount of time, they'd either die straight away OR get on their knees and say ' Please, dont kill me' or ' Please, I have a wife and kids' Which made me feel sorry for them and I'd leave them but when you walked away, they'd get a gun out and shoot you in the back.
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:41
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
ROTT!

Sorry, loved that - I seemed to be the only person who had ever heard of it. It was damn fun, ridiculous bounce pads etc..although, yes, somewhat violent, flying eyeballs and suchlike..

*Goes shareware trawling*
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:39
Regular
Shareware version of it is only 3.56mb Phil and available at www.classicgaming.com :) You've probably already got it though as it took me about 5 seconds to find and I doubt it would have taken you any longer :)
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:23
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
Superb post Kyz.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.