GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Beware Coward"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/02/02 at 15:14
Regular
Videogames put YOU in control.
The power is placed in the palms of your hands.
You are the one in the driving seat.
The most potent bullets are loaded in your gun.
You are the only one who can return from the dead.
You are the saviour of worlds in crisis.
You are the instigator of chaos - the twisted firestarter.
Basically, in most games, whether for good or evil: YOU ARE THE DADDY.

Control and the power to control is the main reason why gaming is so appealing.

In the real world, it is only natural to feel small, even insignificant - just a face in the crowd. But in games you seize control and take centre stage. You can race, fight, save and destroy in a whirlwind of dynamic charisma.

So I'd just like to ask the question: HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT PLAYING A GAME WHEREIN "LOSING CONTROL" WAS THE MAIN FEATURE OF THE GAMEPLAY?

-Imagine a game which places you in the role of a weak and cowardly character.
A character who if he becomes too frightened will pass out or freeze with fear.
A character who is too nervous and faint-hearted to use any weapon adequately.
A character who is squeamish and nearly incapable of committing a violent or powerful act.
A character whose only saving grace is that he can run like hell in the opposite direction.

Instead of saving the situation and being the macho hero, you're only purpose would be to avoid danger, escape and generally save your yellow-belly skin.
Perhaps something like a fluctuating "heart-rate monitor" could be incorporated into the gameplay to determine whether the character is emotionally stable or unstable, in control or out of control, etc - as his current mental state would have a big effect on whether he could successfully perform a certain action or task.

I think this would be refreshing - especially in the Survival Horror genre. I'm becoming a little tired of always being placed in the fearless boots a gun-toting-save-the-day champion.
IT'S TIME FOR A SPINELESS ANTI-HERO TO STEP FORWARD INTO THE LIGHT!
(Well, maybe?)

But would it work? Would anyone be interested in playing as a flawed and restricted cowardly character? WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO BUILD GAMEPLAY AROUND HUMAN WEAKNESSES INSTEAD OF SUPERHUMAN STRNGTHS?

In a game that puts a cowardly character at the centre of the action, abilities and emotions such as avoidance, hiding, escaping, frustration, anxiety and insecurity would come to the fore. The gameplay would have a different dimension - a twist from the norm.
It would definately reflect more accurately how we ourselves would in truth react if we were dropped into a dangerous place or situation where the bad stuff was hitting the fan.

But would it be fun? Or is gaming just simply about being in control and having the power to control and conquer?
Fri 01/03/02 at 22:35
Regular
Joy. After a hard day's work I come home to find I've won GAD. Cheers SR, you've made a tired and bedraggled man very happy.

*clicks heels together in celebration*
Fri 01/03/02 at 18:50
Regular
"That's right!"
Man, it beat my "Real Life/Films/Games" post, dag nammit :)

Heh

Anyway, nice post
Fri 01/03/02 at 12:22
Regular
Congrats on the GAD...I enjoyed reading this, it was quite original
Thu 28/02/02 at 16:02
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Along with breaking controllers, family questioning your sanity as you shout and scream abuse at a console as though it can hear you.......

Its all in good fun. ;-)

Remember, its all a conspiracy ! When you turn the light off and walk away, that console is laughing at you cause its beaten you !
Sounds stupid huh ? But why else do we carry on playing even though we're screaming obscenities and really should stop. ;-)
Thu 28/02/02 at 10:43
Regular
*Cinnamon* wrote:
> I like this idea, but like you say - would it work?
Unless it was done really
> well, it would probably be frustrating.

But you can feel frustration in any game - when you get killed right at the end of a level before you've had a chance to save the game for instance. Frustration is just part 'n' parcel of gaming.
Wed 27/02/02 at 21:58
Regular
I like this idea, but like you say - would it work?
Unless it was done really well, it would probably be frustrating. But I still like the idea.
Wed 27/02/02 at 21:27
i got a fat idea for a gmae where u start as a low life in a massive office block/skyscraper. then u notice that terrorists have taken it over and are storming the building and killing your coleagues for some plans for somthin like a nuke or somthin. So u have to escape and get da cops by sneakin out by airvents and hidin behind file cabinets!
Wed 27/02/02 at 21:20
Regular
Thanks for the comments.

>Mr.Snuggly wrote:
>Great idea, but I bet it's already been done. Games like Ico put you as a small boy, with no strength in a big castle all alone.

Ico sounds like being a brilliant game, though it's the Princess who is more of the weak and vulnerable one rather than the hero "Ico".

----------------

>VemonByte wrote:
>Perhaps you'd have the added difficulty of trying to find ways to overcome your fear?
>Be it by finding chemical releasing drugs, or finding other human company, or anything like that. And of course, finding a toilet if your fear level got a bit too high....

The toilet thing would be funny. There's always room in any game for a bit of humour.
I think the finding of other human company in order to calm down the main character would work well.

---------------

>Meka Dragon wrote:
>What you said about incorporating it into survival horror made me think of Eternal Darkess, as that has a 'Sanity meter',
>where if you see too many horrific things, you lose your grip on reality, and strange things happen.

That's the kind of thing I mean. Most Survival Horror games make the player feel uneasy but not the onscreen character. If there was some way of distinguishing whether the character is feeling uneasy or fearful then that would add to the tension.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:28
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Great idea, but I bet it's already been done. Games like Ico put you as a small boy, with no strength in a big castle all alone.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:13
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Like this idea a lot. It would make a refreshing change, and add a whole new style to the gameplay.

Perhaps you'd have the added difficulty of trying to find ways to overcome your fear? Be it by finding chemical releasing drugs, or finding other human company, or anything like that. And of course, finding a toilet if your fear level got a bit too high....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.