GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"quick review of die hard vendetta - better than you think"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Die Hard Vendetta'.
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:14
Regular
die hard vendetta -
firslty let me say how impressed i was with this game, id read so many bad reviews on it and i was beginning to see why whe i decided to play the training level, its poor and boring and not really necessary, so i suggest skipping it, but the actual game its self is good, having only played the first 5 or so levels here are my main pros and cons:
Pros -
1)the levels are well designed and interesting, they take place in realistic environments, and have a good story line,
2) the voice acting, whilst some of the character models are a bit average, the voice of john mclane is excellent, not sure if it is bruce willis but i doubt it, anyway it sounds exactly like him,
3) the one liners are hillarious, just like all great ones from the films,
4) the language, its about time there was a game which reflected real life a bit more, theres great use of colourful language such as F*** this, and motherf**ker that, it make the story more realistic,
6) the weapons are good and the ammo is generous yet not stupidly over the top

cons -
1) the graphics arent up to the high standards of timesplitters but then not many fps are,
2) the language - might not be suitable for younger gamers,
3) the training level
4) some fo the levels take a bit or thinking as you have to find ways around obstacles such as locked gates, and this can involve jumping onto roofs and looking for ways to jump over obstacles, not what everyone wants in a fps.

conclusion
Dont expect this to beat ts2 it wont, but its a lot better than either 007 agent under fire and nightfire,
its a lot better than any review ive read on it, and its the 2nd best fps ive played on the cube,

untitled
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:20
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I definitely prefer TS2 to Die Hard. It last longer and it's mulitplayer.
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the game is quite good, and I don't usually like console FPS. I have problems whatsoever with the controls, and I don't really see what all the fuss is about with them anyway.

The level design is good, as are the graphics and the voice acting is great, only it is let down a little by the guy who voices John McLaine. He sounds nothing like Bruce Willis, he just puts on a typical Gravely voice which makes him sound constipated and it does grate after a while. Thankfully the rest of the voice cast makes up for this.

Overall it’s a good game, not the best FPS, but still bloody fun, it’s lack of multiplayer support though is the only real let down I have with the game.
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I think it's poor. It's let down by crap controls - where's the proper strafing? Why does the auto-aim feel so niggly and make the game too easy? And if you turn the auto-aim off, then the game is too hard! The levels are too linear and it's incredibly frustrating to work things out on certain levels - you can fail levels through no fault of your own and the level ends if you kill civilians - why? I want to blast innocents! The game is too easy as well - I rented it out and completed it two days later on the hardest setting. It's only a single player game therefore there's not much compulsion to replay it after completing it. One good thing about it is the voice acting - some characters are very funny but that's hardly worth shelling out £35-£40 is it?
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:31
Regular
I think it's really good.....does that mean it's still better than I think?
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:23
Yeah I agree with most of that, it is a good game, but no multiplayer means it cant ever really be one of the greats.

(:)
Thu 05/12/02 at 11:14
Regular
"aliens exist"
die hard vendetta -
firslty let me say how impressed i was with this game, id read so many bad reviews on it and i was beginning to see why whe i decided to play the training level, its poor and boring and not really necessary, so i suggest skipping it, but the actual game its self is good, having only played the first 5 or so levels here are my main pros and cons:
Pros -
1)the levels are well designed and interesting, they take place in realistic environments, and have a good story line,
2) the voice acting, whilst some of the character models are a bit average, the voice of john mclane is excellent, not sure if it is bruce willis but i doubt it, anyway it sounds exactly like him,
3) the one liners are hillarious, just like all great ones from the films,
4) the language, its about time there was a game which reflected real life a bit more, theres great use of colourful language such as F*** this, and motherf**ker that, it make the story more realistic,
6) the weapons are good and the ammo is generous yet not stupidly over the top

cons -
1) the graphics arent up to the high standards of timesplitters but then not many fps are,
2) the language - might not be suitable for younger gamers,
3) the training level
4) some fo the levels take a bit or thinking as you have to find ways around obstacles such as locked gates, and this can involve jumping onto roofs and looking for ways to jump over obstacles, not what everyone wants in a fps.

conclusion
Dont expect this to beat ts2 it wont, but its a lot better than either 007 agent under fire and nightfire,
its a lot better than any review ive read on it, and its the 2nd best fps ive played on the cube,

untitled

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.