GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSone-and-only."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/12/02 at 14:21
Regular
Recently, i've noticed a lot of posts appear to be cropping up concerning the PSone.

Some of you appear to be getting desperately worried that fewer games are being developed for this console, whilst others are asking why games are still being developed for the ageing Playstation 1 at all?

Nobody can argue that the Playstation 1 is not enjoying a long and prosperous life. The console is still going strong to a certain extent, even with talks of the Playstation 3 on the horizon.

It is true that fewer games are being released on this format, and as time goes on surely less and less games will be developed as games companies increasingly turn all their efforts towards the so called 'next-generation' consoles. However, the games are clearly still selling well. If they weren't, why would manufacturers and developers continue to produce them?

If you ask me, the fact that the console or its games are still in the shops at all is a testement to what is a fantastic little console. This is especially true when you consider the other machines that have come and gone in the time the Playstation 1 has been with us; such as the Sega Dreamcast and even the Nintendo 64.

The original Playstation bought us so many fantastic, ground-breaking games. I remember gasping in awe when I first saw Ridge Racer in a feature aired on television prior to the console's release. Other fantastic titles such as Tekken and destruction derby also blew me away.

So what's the secret behind the little machine's long-lasting success. The main reason has to be it's vast array of titles. However, the Playstation 1's longevity was also aided by the release of the smaller, sleeker PSone console. And the games were always certain to live on due to the Playstation 2's backwards compatibility, a feat yet to be matched by other manufacturers.

I'll be honest and admit that I haven't purchased any Playstation 1 games since moving on to my beloved PS2. However, for others, particularly youngsters, the PSone represents fantastic value entry-level gaming. Bare in mind that you could pick up the console with Gran Turismo 2 (a cracking game which, for its time, was leagues ahead of Gran Turismo 3) for little more than fifty or sixty quid.

In conclusion, the Playstation 1 was and is a phenomenol machine and I hope it stays with us for many more years to come.

Thanks for Reading.
Fri 06/12/02 at 12:56
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
*sings* I am the one and only!

*everyone points and laughs

*slave leaves
Fri 06/12/02 at 11:04
Regular
"\\"
I'm not buying the over priced PS2 until its down under £90... I cant beileve how silly sony are being with there prices... I WISH THEY'D THOUGHT ABOUT ME BEFORE RELEASIN THEM AT £300... I JUST CANT BE BOTHERED ANY MORE!

If anyone has any good sychiatrist please let me know... i believe i am in need of one way to desperately to get one myself
Fri 06/12/02 at 10:55
Regular
Once the PS2 costs £100 approx, there wont be any need for the PS1.

The fact that there are so many PS1's out there, and still being sold now, must mean that there is a very big pool of potential PS2 customers to be got.
Thu 05/12/02 at 15:23
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Update2.01 wrote:
> I expect to see another price drop from Sony next year. As this
> continues, there will be even less reason to buy PS1. Right now, i
> would say it's 50/50 as to if the PS1 makes it to Christmas 2003

I'd have to agree, especially when you remember that the chances are the PS2 will be down towards the £100 mark by then.
Thu 05/12/02 at 15:04
Regular
PS1 = VHS. It's old, and looks dated by todays standards. BUT, There are loads of them still out there, still being used. Not just a lot, but A LOT. Here is the problem. If so many people use PS1, why should so many people be denied the newer games? But if they don't make next gen games + consoles, we will be stuck with a market full of PS1 games, and just a tiny selection of next gen games.

I expect to see another price drop from Sony next year. As this continues, there will be even less reason to buy PS1. Right now, i would say it's 50/50 as to if the PS1 makes it to Christmas 2003
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:37
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
I really don't care at all about the PS1 because you could just play all the PS1 games on..the PS2. So the PS1 is left with no real purpose except a game system that isn't as good as PS2.
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:22
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I hope you all like this post, it's my first post in the FOG for a few months seeing as i've been snowed under with Uni work.
Thu 05/12/02 at 14:21
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Recently, i've noticed a lot of posts appear to be cropping up concerning the PSone.

Some of you appear to be getting desperately worried that fewer games are being developed for this console, whilst others are asking why games are still being developed for the ageing Playstation 1 at all?

Nobody can argue that the Playstation 1 is not enjoying a long and prosperous life. The console is still going strong to a certain extent, even with talks of the Playstation 3 on the horizon.

It is true that fewer games are being released on this format, and as time goes on surely less and less games will be developed as games companies increasingly turn all their efforts towards the so called 'next-generation' consoles. However, the games are clearly still selling well. If they weren't, why would manufacturers and developers continue to produce them?

If you ask me, the fact that the console or its games are still in the shops at all is a testement to what is a fantastic little console. This is especially true when you consider the other machines that have come and gone in the time the Playstation 1 has been with us; such as the Sega Dreamcast and even the Nintendo 64.

The original Playstation bought us so many fantastic, ground-breaking games. I remember gasping in awe when I first saw Ridge Racer in a feature aired on television prior to the console's release. Other fantastic titles such as Tekken and destruction derby also blew me away.

So what's the secret behind the little machine's long-lasting success. The main reason has to be it's vast array of titles. However, the Playstation 1's longevity was also aided by the release of the smaller, sleeker PSone console. And the games were always certain to live on due to the Playstation 2's backwards compatibility, a feat yet to be matched by other manufacturers.

I'll be honest and admit that I haven't purchased any Playstation 1 games since moving on to my beloved PS2. However, for others, particularly youngsters, the PSone represents fantastic value entry-level gaming. Bare in mind that you could pick up the console with Gran Turismo 2 (a cracking game which, for its time, was leagues ahead of Gran Turismo 3) for little more than fifty or sixty quid.

In conclusion, the Playstation 1 was and is a phenomenol machine and I hope it stays with us for many more years to come.

Thanks for Reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.